Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My husband was also unimpressed with chatty and he went up there with the intention of looking for a job and us moving there and guess what ? we never moved there and this was five yrs ago and glad we did not move there . we had a real estate agent helping us to find a place to rent and she was useless and the landlords we were dealing with , were renting rat holes and nasty places . Most of them were very greedy and I would equate them with slumlords . I have heard ppl from nashville say that in their opinion chatty is a dirty city and they would never livethere . I m just telling our expierience so dont get mad .
Living somewhere and visiting for vacation are two very, very different things.

When we were there we did all the touristy stuff such as visit the two aquariums, see Rock City, visit the art district, the art museum, walk the pedestrian bridge, etc. We didn't move there, obviously. Suffice to say I am very happy where we settled.

I've also lived in places that are tourist areas in MA and FL and never want to do that again.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM

243 posts, read 692,451 times
People from Nashville say that Chattanooga is a dirty city? That's rich. Do you live there or have ever been there? Because to say Chattanooga is "dirtier" than Nashville shows you have haven't been there and makes me laugh.

I have lived in Nashville (in a nicer suburb - Bellevue).I was there for two years. I did not enjoy it. I never, ever felt safe unless I was with a group of people. I had coworkers who lived as far away form the city as they could (2 lived in Fairview, 2 lived in Smyrna, 3 lived in Bellevue, and 1 lived in Murfreesboro) because they had families and didn't want them growing up in Nashville. The only thing I loved about the city was the Nashville Predators and the TN Titans games. However, my boyfriend and I ran into the homeless taking a **** on the street in front of the library at least 2-3 times. . .

I'm not saying that Chattanooga is the greatest place ever, but between the two I would go with Chattanooga. Although, it is slowly making its way to Nashville level crime thanks to leadership that feels like gangs and crime are not a problem. At least Nashville police and the mayor acknowledge they have problems.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM

243 posts, read 692,451 times
Going back to the OP. . . if you don't like being outside, you'll probably be bored in Chattanooga.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
Quote:
My husband was also unimpressed with chatty and he went up there with the intention of looking for a job and us moving there and guess what ? we never moved there and this was five yrs ago and glad we did not move there . we had a real estate agent helping us to find a place to rent and she was useless and the landlords we were dealing with , were renting rat holes and nasty places . Most of them were very greedy and I would equate them with slumlords . I have heard ppl from nashville say that in their opinion chatty is a dirty city and they would never livethere . I m just telling our expierience so dont get mad .
Your experience was with one realtor, not the entire city. Chattanooga, at one time, was the nations dirtiest city. That was decades ago, and now we consistently make the 10 ten lists for the best places to live. Not moving here was your loss.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,248 times
U obviously dunno where 2 go. **** I been livin here my whole life nd I neva had a problem, dont be hatein on my city.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 47,918 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who calls Chattanooga, Chatty.

Being a landlord myself I am offended by your remarks and by no means are we slumlords. We have two homes we rent (well one the other is not yet finished) neither of them are RATHOLES.

We just rented the small 1 bedroom house with 1/2 acre lot fenced in back yard, 900 square feet with washer/dryer connections and off street parking for $500 a month. Complete interior freshly painted, new curtains and blinds. 5 minutes to downtown and the northshore

The previous tenant was there for over 6 years.

Not sure what your price range was and what part of town you were looking at. Both those would factor into what properties you were shown.

Just looked back and as of two months ago you were still looking to move to Chattanooga, what happened?

Last edited by Maltoo; 10-25-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
I think Chattanooga is one of the best small cities in the country. I've talked to folks who live there and find it kind of boring but the natural beauty of the area, the lakes, hills, biking, hiking and general walkabililty of the downtown area is great. I am outdoors oriented and not interested in shopping, or many cultural events so, it works for me. Also very fond of Asheville N.C. and areas in western N.C. like Brevard. If you like rolling hills and the great outdoors, Chattanooga is a gem. Also, despite there not being a ton of independent restaurants etc. downtown, the ones they have are all pretty good.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 PM

29 posts, read 96,187 times
I can't really see how people can complain about shopping. Isn't Hamilton Place Mall the biggest mall in the state?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Bingo.

When we were first considering Tennessee, over five years ago, we came up for a visit to Chattanooga. We were there ten days and didn't get to do everything that we wanted.

You can go to Chili's and a bar anywhere. The natural progression on that itinerary would be crackhouse.
But they dont have crackhouses in Chattanooga, . . . remember, it is not an actual ''City''.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 AM

44 posts, read 108,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Bingo.

When we were first considering Tennessee, over five years ago, we came up for a visit to Chattanooga. We were there ten days and didn't get to do everything that we wanted.

You can go to Chili's and a bar anywhere. The natural progression on that itinerary would be crackhouse.
I'm sure he/she wouldn't have had any more fun up in Knox...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga