Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times

Advertisements

Another big issue is that (as of right now) Southwest doesn't fly to Atlanta or Chattanooga but does fly into Nashville and Knoxville. This really sucked for me when I first moved here because Southwest is by far my favorite airline.

But if the proposed Southwest-AirTran merger goes through (voting next month, I think), then eventually Southwest WILL gain a foothold in Delta's strongest fortress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
I completely missed the second half of the original post... I wouldn't call it flat, but the vast majority of Hamilton County is NOT mountainous. I remember flying into LAX for the first time and realizing that we were still WAY up in the air, but were below the tops of the surrounding mountains which are as much as 2 miles up. There's nothing like that around here. The top of Lookout Mountain to the TN River is a max of about 1600ft change in elevation, and the "mountains" have flat tops. The only twisty mountain roads with steep drop-offs are the few roads that go up and down Lookout and Signal Mountains and Walden Ridge. It's easy to avoid those unless you live up on top.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Another big issue is that (as of right now) Southwest doesn't fly to Atlanta or Chattanooga but does fly into Nashville and Knoxville. This really sucked for me when I first moved here because Southwest is by far my favorite airline.

But if the proposed Southwest-AirTran merger goes through (voting next month, I think), then eventually Southwest WILL gain a foothold in Delta's strongest fortress.
Southwest does not fly into Knoxville. AirTran does, but only to Orlando. Southwest has a hub in Nashville with nonstop flights to over 20 cities across the country and is one reason air fares are so much cheaper out of Nashville than any other airport in Tennessee.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Southwest does not fly into Knoxville. AirTran does, but only to Orlando. Southwest has a hub in Nashville with nonstop flights to over 20 cities across the country and is one reason air fares are so much cheaper out of Nashville than any other airport in Tennessee.
I love having Southwest here...occasionally you get those ridiculous $39 each way flights. It is by far the best airline I've dealt with.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM

17 posts, read 36,639 times
They charge less for connecting flights because they cancel your ticket if you miss the first flight and resell your seat.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 38,796 times
I'll concur with what most have said about the airports. I've been flying from Nashville more often lately because Southwest usually has a better deal than most and are often direct flights.

As far as mountainous terrain, you can always get where you are going across town without going over anything scarier than the Ridge Cut (which isn't scary). Stay away from the W Rd (Signal Mtn) and Ochs Hwy (Lookout Mtn) and you'll be fine. There are other routes up those mountains that might freak out a flatlander but nothing too bad.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM

24 posts, read 103,341 times
We went ahead and treated ourselves to tickets all the way to Chattanooga. We considered the four hours of driving (two hours each way), the traffic of the bigger cities that we might encounter, and having to deal with the larger airports when we leave. Ultimately, we paid about $90 per ticket more to fly all the way to Chattanooga and we're happy with that. We have not been able to afford to include the word vacation in our vocabulary for awhile because of this economy, and although we are visiting Chattanooga to scope it out for a possible place to live, we're going to treat it as a vacation as well. Therefore, a two hour drive after a 5-6 hour flight just doesn't fit in. Definitely going to take a much closer look at Southwest into Nashville if I have to fly out later for interviews though.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kota45 View Post
Definitely going to take a much closer look at Southwest into Nashville if I have to fly out later for interviews though.
Nashville to Chattanooga is typically a 2 hour drive. Figure 4+ hours round trip and $35-50 worth of gas to see if that is worth it to you when you fly.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 AM

611 posts, read 1,997,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Nashville to Chattanooga is typically a 2 hour drive. Figure 4+ hours round trip and $35-50 worth of gas to see if that is worth it to you when you fly.
Plus the cost of a rental car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga