Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 AM

37 posts, read 124,941 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife came down to chattanooga for a job interview , and only got to see the city for a day. We arrived downtown late in the afternoon , and choose to go up to hamiliton mall area to eat and view the mall. We were very impressed because our small town doesn't have anything comparable. . We really didn't get a chance to see the city much, so I have a few questions I need to answer before I make the move. I notice there was a lot of urban decay , before I look like a snob , there are areas that outsiders would think bad about here where I live , but we know where the safe areas are, and the crime rate is really low here. So what is the crime like in Chattanooga? Plus, are there alot of young professionals that move to the city from other areas? This will be a long move for us about 7 hours from our family we need to know if it's worth it or are we going to come down here and get stuck. will we have plenty of people in the same situation as us 25-40 yr age group that are transplants? Or is Chattanooga like here where it's the opposite all the young professionals are moving and no one is coming in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 PM

37 posts, read 124,941 times
anyone out there please help !!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
I spend about 3 days in Chattanooga, and we're getting ready to move up there at the end of the month. My impression is that there is crime...don't think it's utopia...but you can see the stats on city-data for more info on that.

There are a number of downtown condo/townhouse projects that seem to be positioned towards the up & coming professional crowd.

Chattanooga is a rated a top destination for families and we find that very appealing.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM

192 posts, read 858,030 times
Default not sure

Hi steelersfan, not sure if I can help you much. My DH and I came up for 2 weeks in early June we are in early 50's so looking for vacation type home. I did however check out some nursing opps for me and spoke with many young professionals new to the area and they loved it. Several are working for TVA in engineering jobs and others in insurance and finance. We like the area so well we did buy a home in the Soddy Daisy area. I think the area is growing and the revitalization of many areas of town will only make the area more desirable in the future. Good luck

Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM

79 posts, read 416,367 times
Default Just a few things...

I grew up in Chattanooga, and visit often as all of my family live there. It's my favorite city in the country, but I will tell you that I don't live there now for a few reasons.

On the upside, Chattanooga has experienced some amazing revitalization in the downtown/Riverfront area. However, despite this, there are a lot of not-so-nice areas. Just be careful where you live. The Northshore is an area popular with young professionals buying their first home, but a few blocks back from the Northshore the houses rapidly deteriorate. Just be careful.

Here are a few reasons my family and I decided to not move back. First, it is a major Old Boys Network Town. I've recently dealt with the City Council there regarding a property issue, and basically everyone in government is either related or grew up together. If you don't have a connection, it's hard to penetrate.

Second, and this is harder for an outsider, many many people in Chattanooga have family there. This may or may not bother you. There are a lot of transplants the last several years, but almost everyone still knows everyone, and many of the transplants still have some family in the area.

Third, the job market isn't great. Make sure that there are other job options available for you, if the one you currently have falls through. Despite it's remarkable growth, the job availability/diversity hasn't kept up with it.

This is all I can think of now. Again, I think it's an amazing city, but there are some drawbacks, as there are in any city. If you have another chance, definitely visit again for another in-depth look. Best of luck.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
PHila girl...thanks for sharing with everyone. I'm always interested when someone from the area is willing to give reasons for things they didn't particularly like. Some may not admit it, but there is no utopia here on earth (we messed everything up a while back--but that's another story)

I do have a question though about your 2nd point. If your entire family was living in the area why would that make a difference since you had all of them here? Just wondering

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 45,675 times
Default Chattanooga

Hello fellow Steeler fan.Grew up in Pittsburgh and move to Orlando 25 yrs ago.Really enjoyed Orlando and have done well business wise but really feel it's time to move.We visited our relatives near Chattanooga this past Thanksgiving and "A LONG" story-short: we purchased a new home there and had no real plan.We just loved it and knew prices will rise as the more are moving to the area.My take after visiting 5 times in 6 months is that it's a wonderful place!!!!!!!!!I got to ride bikes along the river with blossoms,flowers and what a view.Went to see Daughtry @ the the Festival downtown,great time.Remind me of all the times at the "Point".Golf in the moutains was great.We really like it alot and are speeding up our plans to move there permantly.In the meantime my 20 yr old son and 23 year old friend are giving it a go there.Both have good jobs within 1st month!Compared to Pittsburgh and Orlando,the age group in Chattanooga seems to be more spread out opposed to the heavy over 45 age group in the other two area.Good luck,you'll love it.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM

79 posts, read 416,367 times
Default Got sidetracked with second point...

Hi TriDad,

I've no idea why I included the family thing as my second point. Consider it a random point about the area that should not have been part of the reasons I wasn't moving back. (Because I like my family a lot, actually!)

Old 08-05-2007, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 34,593 times
Hi Steelersfan...........

I also grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and let me tell you ... I know there are bad areas there also. I moved to southwest Florida 18 years ago, and in that time, so many things have changed here too. It went from a small town of about 5000 people, to over 50,000 in just a few short years.
I have to say, where ever you go, there is going to be crime. That is seems the way society is now adays.
Every area has "not so good areas."
My hsband and I are going to relocate to Dunlap, which is about 45 minutes away from Chattanooga. We bought some property there about 2 years ago. If you are looking to re-locate, don't restrict yourself to the downtown Chattonooga area. There is a great area called Hixson, just down the road. You reallt need to check out the area more. Dunlap is up and coming, and it is right on Hwy 111, and 127. Great area, GOOD people!

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 39,545 times
the better places in the area are East Brainerd, Collegedale, Ooltewah, and Hixson. All are affordable yet close to Chattanooga proper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga