Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM

222 posts, read 752,386 times

Advertisements

Back in the late 80's, I was a regular at The King's Lodge, that sits on the hillside on Westside Dr., near East Ridge. Back then, it was very nice, with clean rooms, an on-site restaurant that was very good, and it had a great view of the city at night.

Over the years, it has a little more scarey with each stay. The last one took the ribbon. The door had hardly closed behind me, when there was a knock, asking, "if I need some pot or rock." Ooops! Bad start! I noticed the room was really showing it's age, and the view of the restaurant, showed it was now some type of third-world health clinic. Years ago, I ran into all of Lynyrd Skynyrd eating there. It was a tradition, when they played the area.

That night the view from the balcony, was like a scene from COPS! Obvious drug sells, and prositution going on. I ventured out once for ice, only to be informed, that the entire machine had been stolen out of the wall, and they weren't getting a new one. Around midnight, a whole half-dozen Chattanooga PD cars raided a room, on the other side of the building. I learned later it was what they termed a "weekend meth lab."

All good things come to an end, I guess...

Anyway, if anyone knows the history of "The King's Lodge" (when built and such), I would like to hear it. I'm sure someone must have some stories being such a "clolorful" place over the years.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,189 times
Yep, it is pretty sketchy now. King's Lodge kind of looks like apartments now. Maybe it's rooms are rented by the week. The restaurant is now an overpriced rib place called "Sugar's", which I think is owned by the same people who own the prestigious Canyon Grill. Not very interesting, but that's all I know about it!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Yep, it is pretty sketchy now. King's Lodge kind of looks like apartments now. Maybe it's rooms are rented by the week. The restaurant is now an overpriced rib place called "Sugar's", which I think is owned by the same people who own the prestigious Canyon Grill. Not very interesting, but that's all I know about it!

Just curious... There's another "lounge" type restaurant across the street from the motel. I went there once like 6 or 7 years ago. It was like a trip back to the late 60's. Seemed like a a lot of regs, who knew the staff.

Any idea of the name of the place? I assume it's still there.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
We are trying our hardest to think of it... Sunset Lounge? I can't remember. I work very close to there and we had lunch last summer. I believe it is still the same as you remember, probably the same people too lol

Old 03-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Default *Bump*

Thought I would bump this again, to see if anyone has any more information.

I don't know if I will stay at the King's Lodge again, as I don't care to sleep with my shotgun.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 AM

I agree. We met some folks from Texas who cut/trimmed trees in the National Cemetary. Being unfamiliar with the area (and cheap) they booked rooms there. The first night there was blood on their door from a drug shooting. Scary stuff there!

Now I must say that the goats @ Sugar's are cool

Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
I agree. We met some folks from Texas who cut/trimmed trees in the National Cemetary. Being unfamiliar with the area (and cheap) they booked rooms there. The first night there was blood on their door from a drug shooting. Scary stuff there!
Now I must say that the goats @ Sugar's are cool
Yeah, the goats are cool! I really need to try Sugar's Q, next time up. Though it might be tempting to get my favorite room at the lodge, even WITH the sketchy guests.

In it's day, Sugar's was known as "The Pancake Man", and was associated with the lodge. It was very popular. Lynyrd Skynyrd used to stop there whenever they played Chattanooga. They adored the hot wings, and some of the country cooking. The place was popular with college students, too. Used to stay open a bit on the late side.

I'm still trying to find out, when the lodge was built.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
According to this link, it was built in 1970, which would probably be close to the actual time... as I-24 through the ridge was not completed until about 1967. The stretch of I-24 from downtown to the west was completed about a year earlier. I remember seeing it on a trip through Chattanooga in 1975.

Kings Lodge, Chattanooga, Tennessee (TN) - Hotel/Inn , Party Location

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
According to this link, it was built in 1970, which would probably be close to the actual time... as I-24 through the ridge was not completed until about 1967. The stretch of I-24 from downtown to the west was completed about a year earlier. I remember seeing it on a trip through Chattanooga in 1975.

Kings Lodge, Chattanooga, Tennessee (TN) - Hotel/Inn , Party Location
Thanks! So now I know. 1970 fits in, to what most guesses were. It also says it was renovated in 1990. That's back when it was still nice. I promise you, that's the LAST time that has been done, to be sure!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 PM

A little tidbit for you:

Appraisal Detail Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
View detailed profiles of: