Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 13,210 times

Advertisements

HI everybody- Me and my parents are thinking about moving to chattanooga or somewhere in eastern tennessee. My dad is an accountant and I am looking for a good college to become a nurse. We have lived in Pensacola, Fl for 13 years now, and am looking for a different area with lots of scenery and a similar culture. We appreciate a midsize, large city not as big as atlanta or birmingham, but with lots of amenities and a solid job market. Also a town with good ole southern hospitality and diversity. Is chattanooga a good fit for us? we didn't want too busy of a city, thought about knoxville, but didn't want a tourist town. Your thoughts are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,151 times
I live in Chattanooga and occasionally vacation in Pensacola Beach (I know people who rent out a condo). From the general description of what you're looking for, Chattanooga is definitely your town.

One caveat... Chattanooga *is* considered a tourist town (the "Scenic City"), but not what you're used to. People come here to stroll along the renovated riverfront, enjoy outdoor music, visit the tourist traps on Lookout Mt, experience Civil War history in the National Military Park, and explore hundreds of miles of trails in the nearby mountains. Our volume of tourists is NOTHING like the thousands of beach bums that descend on Pensacola every summer.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks so much- I don't mind some tourist coming to experience the natural beauty of the area- It's just the towns that have been built on tourism and not the residents- you know what i mean? What do you know about the job market and school opportunities?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM

Also- been reading on the forums and might be interested in Knoxville for school opps. and jobs. Just think that maybe Chattanooga is less metropolitan and crowded- Pensacola is very well appointed but still feels like a smaller city, looking for something similar.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Could anyone give some imput on the local colleges for nursing and possible job opportunities for my dad, who is an accountant? We are thinking about coming up to get a feel for the city next month and would appreciate any suggestions- where to stay, what to see, what to do?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
You will find a lot of threads about what to see and do while you are here. The employment rate is creeping ever upward. We got good numbers back this month (relatively speaking). It's my understanding that UTC has a good nursing program, but I can't speak to that personally. There are numerous schools in the area - colleges, I mean. I don't have any ideas about accountant jobs, sorry. I hope someone can help field those questions. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 13,107 times
I am considering moving to Pensacola from Chattanooga! I have lived here for about a year and a half and it is very nice. I moved from Birmingham, and it definitely has a smaller feel to it. I have a friend who is in the nursing Program at UTC and it is very competitive. I believe it is a good program. What is the job market like in Pensacola. My boyfriend will be moving with me and he will be looking for a job. He is a photographer, but has experience in other fields as well.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 71,244 times
Default Nursing schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcolagirl View Post
HI everybody- Me and my parents are thinking about moving to chattanooga or somewhere in eastern tennessee. My dad is an accountant and I am looking for a good college to become a nurse. We have lived in Pensacola, Fl for 13 years now, and am looking for a different area with lots of scenery and a similar culture. We appreciate a midsize, large city not as big as atlanta or birmingham, but with lots of amenities and a solid job market. Also a town with good ole southern hospitality and diversity. Is chattanooga a good fit for us? we didn't want too busy of a city, thought about knoxville, but didn't want a tourist town. Your thoughts are appreciated!
What level of nursing study are you looking for?
Nursing programs in the Chattanooga area include
Southern: About Us (http://saunursing.com/about - broken link)
UTC: UTC School of Nursing | Home
Chatt. State: Chattanooga State Nursing and Allied Health
Dalton State: Dalton State College (http://www.daltonstate.edu/nursing/index.htm - broken link)
Cleveland State: CLSCC - Nursing Program

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM

21 posts, read 55,825 times
Chattanooga is definitely a tourist town. If you aren't in medical, there are no decent jobs. Lock your door.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,806,037 times
I don't know that I'd go that far. TVA and the VW plant are always possibilities for folks looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga