Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,779 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I just got married and we are thinking of moving to Chattanooga from FL to be closer to family. My husband works as a manager here at Publix in FL and we are hoping to get a transfer. I just graduated with my teaching degree in May.

I have a few questions. First, are there plenty of teaching jobs in Chattanooga? I have not been able to find ANY teaching jobs here in my city. In fact, teachers under 2 yrs of employment are getting laid off.
Also, any recommendations on where to live in Chattanooga that is in close proximity to Publix, as well as good schools? We are thinking of renting an apt. and then once we get to know the city better we will start looking for a home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM

91 posts, read 282,208 times
There is a new Publix in Ooltewah. It's a nice area with some of the better schools in Hamilton County. As far as a teaching job. Unfortunately the school system is not really in a great state financially..as is probably the case all over. We know of several certified teachers who have not yet been able to get employment with Hamilton County. But not to totally discourage you..your qualifications may be better than others, or you may be able to get on with one of the many private schools. As far as Ooltewah, TN homes vary in price as low as probably 85k and well..the sky is the limit. But, it is a nice area. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 25,884 times
Default Ooltewah and East Brainerd are nice

There is a great Publix in East Brainerd. This also happens to be one of the best locations for Chattanooga public schools. Westview Elementary is highly regarded...and there is a brand new middle/high school down the road named East Hamilton. There are also several private schools close by. East Brainerd also happens to be a good shopping/restaurant area. Ooltewah is also nice....it's growing so there are lots of newer homes, etc. Good luck, and you'll love Chattanooga.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 PM

137 posts, read 430,756 times
I second the East Brainerd bit. I spend a lot of time in the Hurricane Creek Publix, and it's a great store and very well run from what I can see. It's on the outskirts of the highly developed bit of East Brainerd and right in a pocket of subdivisions like Mountain Shadows, Hurricane Creek, Council Fire, and the like. Good places to live if you're into low-density subdivisons.

Westview Elementary is very good for Hamilton County school standards, and probably still quite good by standard standards. I haven't attended East Hamilton, but my friends who go there are quite fine with it. It has the same problems as the other schools, but it's new and has all the benefits of being in an affluent area. Of course, public schools (http://www.spinninglobe.net/againstschool.htm - broken link) in general are out to suck the life out of your kids and program their minds into being mere unthinking economic units, so you can't really get around that. There are several really really really good private schools in Chattanooga, but they'll cost you all your appendages.

I like East Brainerd because though it is the perpetrator of nasty suburban sprawl like most suburbs, there are a few pockets of niceness like Audubon Acres and Elsie Holmes Nature Sanctuary, as well as the Collegedale Greenway to the north and private properties if you're willing to do some uber off the beaten path exploration.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Be sure to check out Ray-Jo Estates on Morris Hill Rd. and Georgetown... they are close to so many things... and have great houses.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
there are 3 Publix's in the Chattanooga area: East Brainerd, Ootlewah and Hixson. Each are very nice and a number of the employees (management) are from Florida. I have yet to meet one who didn't like the change in from FL to TN.

Do your homework on the teaching position and you may have yourself a good match here. What part of FL are you in?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,779 times
I am near Jacksonville. That really makes me happy what you said about the managers liking the change from FL to TN. He is REALLY nervous that it's going to be difficult for him to get transferred in. It's good to see they are transferring people from FL. I think we are both excited to get out of here!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM

91 posts, read 282,208 times
Although they seem a little high, Publix has a great bakery. I would think the overall cost of living here would be cheaper than in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga