Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I had pretty low expectations on Chattanooga before recently visiting. Kind of accidental that I even visited.

First, I didn't realize it had rolling hills, a river going through it, bridges, views, and a very pedestrian-friendly downtown area ideal for walking around, and even with families.

I'm wondering what the catch is...for living. Few jobs?

I'm also wondering the demographics...on city-data, looks 63/33 black/white or something like that - but noticed quite a few other ethnicites...don't know if Chattanooga is just a tourist town as well, or what it was...or is it changing...becoming more desireable for international immigration, etc. as well? (Positive to me, by the way).

Anyways, looked like a great little city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 AM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Well within the city limits those are probably the correct demographics although it does change to a white majority in the suburbs.

Volkswagen is building a plant in Chattanooga which is bringing more international people into the city.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
It was recently on the news that Chattanooga is not feeling the economic crisis like many other places. As far as I can see the job market is relatively good here. We moved here for a job after being laid off in the Northeast.

mcatp is right. The suburbs are mostly white, but the city limits have a better mix.

Glad you had a good experience in the Scenic City!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM

44 posts, read 108,668 times
Demographics back in 2000-
59.71% white.
36.06% black.
0.29% American Indian.
1.54% Asian.
0.11% Pacific Islander.
2.11% Hispanic.
1.01% other races.
1.30% from 2 or more races.

And according to Times Free Press, the recession is supposedly over in Chattanooga and its surrounding areas. VW is coming(2000 jobs). VW suppliers. New shopping centers on the way(construction and retail jobs). New hotels on the way. Costco is coming in Catoosa County. A 300,000 square feet Commerce Center is said to be built in Ringgold. MANY new road projects in Chattanooga(construction jobs). And a lot more.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
It was recently on the news that Chattanooga is not feeling the economic crisis like many other places. As far as I can see the job market is relatively good here.
Right on target. While I have been trying for a year now to sell my house in MI to get to Chattanooga, I have been watching the stats for my company in Chatt. While the shop I work for here in MI is getting killed, far lower profits than ever, the shop in Chattanooga is raking it in with better stats than ever. I cannot wait to be apart of it all but I can't get out of this stupid state w/o giving my house away and we can't afford that!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Oh! I believe Chattanooga is being "discovered" nowadays... http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wdrb/...EST_PLACES.pdf

The changes I've seen here since moving here five years ago are nothing short of amazing. This city is definitely on the ascent! Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Also, you've possibly already discovered that Tennesseans (both native and adopted) have a certain laid-back, friendly "coolness".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga