Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
A Christian would not ask in the first place, the judgement is implied in the asking.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 39,118 times
While I do agree with that, at the same time, it doesn't necessarily mean the same as "do you go to church?" - But I have heard this often though not too often given that most people don't talk to me much. (I've been here a little under 2 yrs and never or almost never got asked that back home)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmarian View Post
Amen.
IMO, "where you go to church" is totally different than "are you a Christian?" or "Have you been saved?"

Asking where you go to church implies social ignorance and assumption on the part of the asker, but not judgment, to me.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Asking where you go to church implies social ignorance and assumption on the part of the asker, but not judgment, to me.

Sure, until you mention that a) you don't attend church, or maybe b) you're a Catholic etc. Then they look at you like you have horns growing out of your head.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Church is an essential and integral part of many people's lives. They attend multiple church functions every week (primary service, bible study, choir practice, and various other events and gatherings). All their friends and family goes to church, usually all to the same church. Almost every one around these people go to church, so their natural assumption is that YOU must go to church as well. Assumptions? Definitely. Social ignorance? Perhaps.

Personally, I have a son entering Kindergarten this year, and he's been in preschool for several years. I have a copy of the Hamilton County School calendar on my wall at work and refrigerator at home. My world revolves around this calendar and the various sports practice calendars next to it. It tells me when I can take vacation, when I can schedule meetings, and when I have to leave work to go home. All my friends have kids in school, so most non-work people I talk with have the same priorities as I do. With all this, I sometimes slip and assume that anyone I'm talking to has the same priorities. When I ask about their kids I'm not judging them, it's just me making the assumption that other people share my life. Assumptions? Definitely. Social ignorance? Perhaps. Judgments? Definitely not.

That being said, this is the south and part of the bible belt. Some people will "judge" you based on whether you go to church, or even if you go to the right church. Fortunately, that's not usually the case in eastern Hamilton county because of the diversity of churches. You have your more mainstream Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Episcopal congregations, plus Evangelical, Catholic, Charismatic, Jehovah's Witnesses, and there's a really large 7th Day Adventist community (mainly based around the Southern Adventist University). Anyone who asks that question around here very often will get a huge variety of answers.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 PM

21 posts, read 55,800 times
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga