Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

I have the "fever" for a 1993 thru 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood (referring to the last big RWD model that is like the Chevy Caprice and Buick Roadmaster), but dont know much about their "trouble areas". I do know it has the good 350 engine and not the troublesome Northstar like some of the DeVilles and SeVilles of this era had.

Anyone here own one, or have ever owned one, or a mechanic that knows about them? Wondering what to look for. I had a 1991 Caprice, same basic body style, but it had a different engine... it had the 305.

Thanks in advance.

(yeah, I am thinking of selling my '95 Lincoln Town Car to buy one, I love it, but want something different).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
They are definitely the last of the old school style Cadillac. While built on the B platform they are certainly not a victim of badge engineering. They are actually considered D-bodies. The interiors are unique for the most part and the car is larger. The build quality is much better than its b-body cousins and the ride/handling is noticeably different.

'93 models still had the 350 TBI, try and get a '95 or '96. GM was constantly making improvements to the transmission (4L60E) and '96 is arguably the best year for the transmission but '96 also makes it an OBII vehicle... that's really splitting hairs though.

As far as problems to look for... not too many.

I guess one thing would be the autoleveling system, the air pumps are known to fail with age/lack of being used or the hybrid shocks in the rear become leaky with age and don't allow air to pressurize in them. Due to the hybrid system in the rear, GM used weaker springs than other b-bodies so a common modification is to either scrap the autoleveling system and put in rear wagon springs and heavy duty shocks all around or install bags in the rear stock springs and choose whatever for shocks.

For some, the optispark distributor can be troublesome and for others it can be perfect for the life of the car. Make sure you inquire about it and feel for smooth combustion when you test drive.

Not much else... its a robust full-size RWD with an awesome power plant. GM had pretty much all the kinks worked out of these things before B-body production ended in '96. My one suggestion to you would be to take a picture of the RPO code sheet located on the trunk lid and post it here to see all of the options.

Having extensively driven the last 3 generations of Town Car I think you will be quite pleased with a Fleetwood.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
What more can you want?

7200 LB towing capacity when properly equipped ad I believe 95-later had the vented opti, while although finicky anyway, helped matters quite a bit when that water pump weeped onto that Opti.

A coworker of mine has a 95 Impala SS and it certain doesn't seem to be the maintenance PITA regarding squeezing around the engine like an F-body would be...that's a start right there.

Naturally, this was a pretty stout tank of a ride. So, GM thought it wise to make SUVs in that Arlington plant instead.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the replies and the detailed info. I was not really that familiar with the year-year changes mechanically. If I could even get a 93 I would be happy.

My main problem would be finding one. I have not found any for sale locally. I pass by a couple of these daily (parked in driveways), but neither for sale. I kinda know one of the couples that own one of them... I see them in one of the local supermarkets from time to time. Next time I see them, I think I will ask to let me know if they want to ever sell.

While not a RWD Fleetwood, the local Buick dealer has a nice 1992 Sedan DeVille (with the 4.9L) that I like. Its white with red interior and very nice. It has 110K miles. They have $2900 on it, but may can get it for $2000. I like it, but its not the big RWD Fleetwood.

Will post more later.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
For the quintessential "land yachts" they are, they surely hustle. Tipping the scales at a whopping 2.5 tons, the 93-96's sprint 0-60 in 8.5 seconds. However, if that don't "float your boat" try this link for great info on the cars you're lusting after (BTW, I like em' too):

1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood: Full Review - Consumer Guide Automotive

Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My main problem would be finding one. I have not found any for sale locally. I pass by a couple of these daily (parked in driveways), but neither for sale. I kinda know one of the couples that own one of them... I see them in one of the local supermarkets from time to time. Next time I see them, I think I will ask to let me know if they want to ever sell.

While not a RWD Fleetwood, the local Buick dealer has a nice 1992 Sedan DeVille (with the 4.9L) that I like. Its white with red interior and very nice. It has 110K miles. They have $2900 on it, but may can get it for $2000. I like it, but its not the big RWD Fleetwood.

Will post more later.
One thing is these cars are fast appreciating in value. Good examples are starting to cost a lot of money.

The 89-93 generation of Deville/Fleetwood (FWD) is one of my favorite modern Cadillacs. I like the styling, and also the engine seems to be trouble-free.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
For the quintessential "land yachts" they are, they surely hustle. Tipping the scales at a whopping 2.5 tons, the 93-96's sprint 0-60 in 8.5 seconds. However, if that don't "float your boat" try this link for great info on the cars you're lusting after (BTW, I like em' too):

1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood: Full Review - Consumer Guide Automotive
Yeah, my 95 Lincoln Town Car is pretty quick as well. It has the 4.6L (not sure the HP), but it will definitely get up and go for a heavy car. I think it may weigh a little less though than the Town Car?

Thanks for that link, I am going out to eat now, but will check it out when I get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
One thing is these cars are fast appreciating in value. Good examples are starting to cost a lot of money.

The 89-93 generation of Deville/Fleetwood (FWD) is one of my favorite modern Cadillacs. I like the styling, and also the engine seems to be trouble-free.
Yeah, I was amazed when I started looking and seeing these prices. Nice ones are priced $$$$! Even more than a late 90s or early 2000s DeVille.

I had better get one before they are so $ that I cant afford one. That happened with the 70s Ford Country Squires... giving them away in the 90s and I wanted one starting about 3 years ago and the way these things have appreciated in value amazes me.

Yeah, I may look closer that local 92 DeVille tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Yeah, my 95 Lincoln Town Car is pretty quick as well. It has the 4.6L (not sure the HP), but it will definitely get up and go for a heavy car. I think it may weigh a little less though than the Town Car?

Thanks for that link, I am going out to eat now, but will check it out when I get back.
They are definitely heavier than the Town Cars but are also quicker... you will be impressed with the LT1, even detuned and with granny rear gears it has plenty of low end torque to get these boats flying. Its the type of car you will be leisurely cruising on the highway and look down and your doing 80 or 90. They are very good at keeping outside noise OUT and granted everything is balanced, the ride is silk smooth.

Quote:
Yeah, I was amazed when I started looking and seeing these prices. Nice ones are priced $$$$! Even more than a late 90s or early 2000s DeVille.
People are hoarding them... they are already somewhat collectible and its becoming more so with time.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
A '95 Town Car is rated at 210 hp and 270 lbs-ft torque.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
They are definitely heavier than the Town Cars but are also quicker... you will be impressed with the LT1, even detuned and with granny rear gears it has plenty of low end torque to get these boats flying. Its the type of car you will be leisurely cruising on the highway and look down and your doing 80 or 90. They are very good at keeping outside noise OUT and granted everything is balanced, the ride is silk smooth.

People are hoarding them... they are already somewhat collectible and its becoming more so with time.
Thanks. Just read that review. Wow, the '94 engine was like 260 hp and the '93 engine was 185 hp.... thats a big jump. I didnt realize that the 94 had a different engine. Thats good to know. I would still settle for a '93 if I could find one. I compared the numbers to my Town Car, surely is that the Fleetwood is a larger car. Its longer, wider and heavier by nearly 400 pounds! My Town Car has the dual exhaust, so its rate at 210 hp, so I guess it may be a little quicker than a 93 Fleetwood with the lower hp 350, but not a big deal... thats still plenty of power and I never even really use the power with my TC... I always accelerate easy. I worry that MPG will suffer slightly with the Fleetwood, as I get 20 mpg in town with my Town Car, but one dont purchase these for fuel economy. lol.

lol, at that price range they have on there, I would like to find one in those prices they have listed.

The build quality must be really good. I remember it was good on my '91 Caprice, but things like the door panels and some trim didnt seem as robust as they are on my '95 Town Car, which seems to have a very high build quality. I dont have any squeaks or rattles. Also, the door panels are tight, well clothed or padded, etc.... areas where some of the mid-late 90s GM cars suffered... at least some of them (I have seen many with loose trim panels or falling off in general, lol).

Well, I have my Town Car up for trade for one of these, or will sell it and purchase one if I can get it in the budget I sell my TC for. We'll see.

I really like that local 92 DeVille too though.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC