Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering the purchase of a twin to this one pictured, in the spring.
I would like to hear from people who own, or owned one as to what maintenance cost per year, on the average is.
I also would like to know as much about these convertibles before I actually purchase one.
Thanks in advance.
I have been told the 2005 and newer are better cars, but frankly I hate the front end styling on them, and would never consider one.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
That's a C5. 2005 and up are C6, which by most accounts are better cars all around. I have two friends who own C5s, both of which I've driven. You need to drive one for a while. Some people, like me, would not want one as my only daily driver. Too small, too noisy, too rough. Lots of fun though. Definitely the best bang for the buck in a sports car.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's a C5. 2005 and up are C6, which by most accounts are better cars all around. I have two friends who own C5s, both of which I've driven. You need to drive one for a while. Some people, like me, would not want one as my only daily driver. Too small, too noisy, too rough. Lots of fun though. Definitely the best bang for the buck in a sports car.

It wouldn't be my daily driver.
My pickup fills that need.
Bob.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
I use my C6 as a spring-fall daily driver, no regrets.

Love the C5's, hate flip up headlights, still a hell if a car and maintenance should be limited to gas, tires, brakes and oil.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Get a C6, much better car. If you want an automatic, get a 2006+ with the 6 speed automatic and paddle shifters. The old 4 speed auto suckss in the 2005 and earlier models. HIDs in the C6 and a 10x better interior. Oh, and another 50+ HP doesn't hurt either.

If you must get a C5, get a Z06. But no convertible or targa, which might not work for you. I don't blame you, if I lived in LA, I'd drive a vert too.

Maintenance is very reasonable, not much more different than a V8 Chevy truck. Just requires 91 octane and synthetic oil.

I owned a 2006 Pontiac GTO with the LS2 corvette engine. It's bullet proof. My boss has a 2007 C6 coupe with a corsa catback exhaust, wow does it sound awesome.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Get a C6, much better car. If you want an automatic, get a 2006+ with the 6 speed automatic and paddle shifters. The old 4 speed auto suckss in the 2005 and earlier models. HIDs in the C6 and a 10x better interior. Oh, and another 50+ HP doesn't hurt either.

If you must get a C5, get a Z06. But no convertible or targa, which might not work for you. I don't blame you, if I lived in LA, I'd drive a vert too.

Maintenance is very reasonable, not much more different than a V8 Chevy truck. Just requires 91 octane and synthetic oil.

I have a '03 Z06. Different animal than the 'vert but they're all pretty nice drivers, not C6 nice but they're nice.

The Corvette community is huge in CA. Just a few things you'll want to check out for in cars that are starting to age:

-pop up headlights work without a problem
-interior lights and gauges
-tire wear, these things are not cheap
-steering column lock bypass if it's a 6 speed
-seat cover wear, especially the bolsters

I see you're in CA, I would check to see where the car has been it's life. I would avoid cars that have seen harsh winters such as snow, sand and salt because of rust. I know the fiberglass itself doesn't rust but there are a lot of parts underneath that can start to rust.

Corvette's are pretty fun cars and for the HP you get, the fuel mileage is actually pretty decent.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I think the C5 is better looking than the C6 as well, and you can get rid of the pop up headlights and install fixed ones if you wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Some people, like me, would not want one as my only daily driver. Too small, too noisy, too rough. Lots of fun though. Definitely the best bang for the buck in a sports car.
Depends on how you define "bang for the buck," especially if you have to put up with the car being too small, too noisy, and too rough, and not suitable for a daily driver.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I think the C5 is better looking than the C6 as well, and you can get rid of the pop up headlights and install fixed ones if you wanted to.

Depends on how you define "bang for the buck," especially if you have to put up with the car being too small, too noisy, and too rough, and not suitable for a daily driver.
BFTB is value. Since the object is a sports car, whose assumed attributes are focused on performance and possibly styling, the faults I have with the car don't factor in to BFTB. The Vette's high level of performance for the money spent does.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Our '02 C5 Vert has been one of the best cars I have owned in 50 yrs of cars: fast, handles, fun, exc mpg if that matters, huge trunk for 2 sets of clubs and soft luggage for trips, and very few problems over the decade+ I have owned it. I realize that is all anecdotal...

I have driven several C6s, and they are remarkable too; just haven't felt the need to toss our C5 for a C6.

'Maintenance cost per year' will vary by whatever specific car you decide to buy, and any 'average' is truly anecdotal... eg my post warranty repairs have been:
-ignition column lock bypass, (ours is a 6 spd manual)
-a reflash/repair of the OBC module
-a set of non RFT tires
-a set of front brake pads, simply for insurance as we were taking a 2 month cross country trip
-2 new batteries over 10 years
-trans and diff fluid change
-coolant change
-brake fluid change, twice
-couple of air filters
-annual oil and filter change

Over a decade, most of the above is maintenance vs 'repair'. I am facing an R&R of fuel tank senders,etc which is quite common on many MYs of C5s.

All good info from previous posters, and I esp agree with SK360 and Army_Guy opins.

There are thousands of good condition C5s & C6s out there in used car land; I would do some serious looking and not fall in love with the first one that caught my eye. But when you do decide, get it, drive it and enjoy it...they are not fragile cars.

I recall a very similar thread by the OP, but maybe it is more 'serious' this time.

Vettes are remarkable cars, well built, fairly trouble free and offer great bang for the buck, imo...
GL, mD

Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
I'll agree with motordavid. I own a 2003 C5, just one of the cheap non convertible models (z06).

45 K on the clock, only mods are skip shift eliminator and the Column Lock Bypass.
Original brakes and shocks.
2nd set of tires
Refreshed brake fluid using the turkey baster method every few months.
Oil and filter according to the DIC.
new air filters occasionally

16 to 20 MPG around town
26-31 MPG on the highway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC