Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,506,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
I guess it would be tacky to lament that the 1LE cost what...$19K or something. And this Camaro is $75K. And it's a Camaro still.

Broke azz MFers dreaming, yeah, that's it, lol.
A current 1LE is still in the $30s. MAYBE high $20s for a beat down/recovered theft one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,717,345 times
Hmm. Take an Australian designed, Canadian built $25K GM pseudo sports car and shoe horn in an expensive drive train, fancy brakes, some appointments, and a lot of American flag waving and all of a sudden it's a $75k vehicle? I suppose there are 500 suckers out there, but I think it demonstrates everything that continues to be wrong with GM as a viable car company if you ask me.

They really need to instead focus on some real fundamentals instead of building cars for the ever shrinking 60's muscle car nostalgia fans.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,097,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Because the 7.0 is lighter and that was more important then the power it gives up. The throttle response of an n/a car is also something they considered.
I also believe the 7.0 will be easier to keep cool than the S/C.

It will be interesting to see what they really sell for after the additional dealer markups.

However, I don't see why GM would keep it limited if the demand comes up. Why would they not build more to make more money?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM

17,432 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You mean a 7 liter Camaro Z28 is faster than a 5 liter Boss 302. I am totally shocked.

A 7 liter Camaro that costs twice as much as a Boss 302!

At least wait until the new 2015 Shelby GT500 is ready for that Chevy/Ford comparison!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,817,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I also believe the 7.0 will be easier to keep cool than the S/C.

It will be interesting to see what they really sell for after the additional dealer markups.

However, I don't see why GM would keep it limited if the demand comes up. Why would they not build more to make more money?
The 7.0 is hand built so there are only so many they can pump out at a time. The current platform is about to be retired so the car itself is going away in its current form. I believe they have an idea on what the market will bear and don't want them languishing on lots. I think next year is probably it before the Alpha based Camaro shows up. The z/28 will most likely go away for a few years before coming back on the next platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

At least wait until the new 2015 Shelby GT500 is ready for that Chevy/Ford comparison!
It is the law of diminishing returns. The GT-R would beat cars costing twice as much but in order to beat it you had to get something three times it's price or more. Now the Camaro is matching it's performance at a cheaper price. Chevy did not just set out to beat the Mustang. This vehicle makes Porsches and the cheaper Italians nervous.

But I am curious why Mustang people don't want to talk about 100k Super Snakes. As if the world hasn't had its share of high dollar Mustangs.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 AM

221 posts, read 336,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
A current 1LE is still in the $30s. MAYBE high $20s for a beat down/recovered theft one.
They still have that option, eh? Ooops. I was thinking of the late-80's package

Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM

473 posts, read 798,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The 7.0 is hand built so there are only so many they can pump out at a time. The current platform is about to be retired so the car itself is going away in its current form. I believe they have an idea on what the market will bear and don't want them languishing on lots. I think next year is probably it before the Alpha based Camaro shows up. The z/28 will most likely go away for a few years before coming back on the next platform.

It is the law of diminishing returns. The GT-R would beat cars costing twice as much but in order to beat it you had to get something three times it's price or more. Now the Camaro is matching it's performance at a cheaper price. Chevy did not just set out to beat the Mustang. This vehicle makes Porsches and the cheaper Italians nervous.

But I am curious why Mustang people don't want to talk about 100k Super Snakes. As if the world hasn't had its share of high dollar Mustangs.
Yes for objective performance in a warm, dry environment, the Chevy is a better bang for the buck stock for stock. However, as soon as the conditions head south, the GT-R will likely prevail. Then once you leave the track environment, the GT-R will likely prove to be a much more liveable car. The Z28 is a very impressive and focused machine, but the GT-R is much more well-rounded and still is nearly as fast.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,422,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

A 75 k Camaro is for car show bragging rights for Chevy fans just like a GT500 is for Ford fans. The real car guys are on the track driving Coyotes or Boss 302's for the guys with heavier wallets.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,817,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
Yes for objective performance in a warm, dry environment, the Chevy is a better bang for the buck stock for stock. However, as soon as the conditions head south, the GT-R will likely prevail. Then once you leave the track environment, the GT-R will likely prove to be a much more liveable car. The Z28 is a very impressive and focused machine, but the GT-R is much more well-rounded and still is nearly as fast.
I understand that but most auto races are held on clear days and I do believe Barber's was a little damp during that test. Either way I just don't like the "what if" argument even though personally I would rather have a GT-R, the z/28 beat it that day. If you had asked most enthusiasts particularly import fan boys before this test happened most would say that a Camaro didn't even belong on the track with a GT-R.

Chevy says up front that the Z/28 is for occasional street use only so I already know that it is a beast but the GT-R is no Cadillac, err Infiniti in comparison. It's is rough, loud and hard to get along with too.

Chevy did a hell of a job with a platform that people said was a porker and no real track cred.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,506,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
They still have that option, eh? Ooops. I was thinking of the late-80's package
Yes.. and its prob the best bang for buck Camaro. Some trick parts off the ZL1 and a much more neutral handler.. another fun track car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC