Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I hope everyone is doing well. I have not been on here in quite a while.

I test drove a 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL today with the optional reverse sensing system (sensors in the rear bumper). I tested out the reverse sensing and when I would back up to an object, it would beep once when I was about 20 inches away and no more, even if I got closer to the object. Is that normal and how these are set-up?

I am asking because I have driven later model Fords (2011 Ford Edge, Explorer, etc) and they beep and beep louder and more often as you approach the object and a steady beep just before you hit something. So, is that Buick design just an older design and that is how it works, only one beep to let you know to go ahead and stop, or is the one on this car not working properly?

Thanks!

(also more importantly, the check engine light is on and at 124k, no telling what it could be. The car was running perfectly however).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,041 times
The check engine may be related to this and should be checked out before you decide anything !!!

Starting on page 178 of the owners manual it states: Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) If your vehicle is equipped, the Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system is designed to help you park while in REVERSE (R). It operates only at speeds less than 5 mph (8 km/h). URPA helps make parking easier and helps you avoid colliding with objects such as parked vehicles. The URPA system detects objects that are close to the rear of the vehicle which are at least 10 inches (25.4 cm) off the ground and below hood or trunk level. The system detects objects up to 8 feet (2.5 m) behind your vehicle. URPA determines how close these objects are from your bumper within this area. Ultrasonic sensors on the rear bumper are used to detect the distance to the object.

The Ultrasonic Rear Park Assist (URPA) system does not replace driver vision. URPA does not: • Operate above speeds of 5 mph (8 km/h). • Detect objects more than 8 feet (2.5 meters) behind the vehicle. This distance may be less during warmer or humid weather. • Detect objects that are below the bumper, underneath the vehicle, or that are very close to the vehicle. • Detect children, pedestrians, bicyclists, or pets. So if you do not use proper care before backing up, you could hit a vehicle, child, pedestrian, bicyclist, or pet, resulting in vehicle damage, injury, or death. Even though the vehicle has the URPA system, always check carefully before backing up by checking behind your vehicle.

Then on page 179: How the System Works: When the shift lever is moved into REVERSE (R), the rear display will briefly illuminate to let you know the display is operating correctly. URPA comes on automatically when the shift lever is moved into REVERSE (R). The system also does not work at a reverse speed greater than 5 mph (8 km/h). To remind you of this, the red light on the rear display will flash.

How the System Works when Backing: If the shift lever is in REVERSE (R), URPA detects objects close to the rear bumper. The first time an object is detected a single beep will sound. If an object is detected at a REVERSE (R) speed between 0 mph (0km/h) and 5 mph (8 km/h), the following describes what will occur based on your distance to a detected object located behind the vehicle: • At distances between 40 inches (1 m) and 8 ft (2.5 m), a single amber light will be lit. • At distances between 23 inches (0.6 m) and 40 inches (1 m), both amber lights will be lit. • At distances between 12 inches (0.3 m) and 23 inches (0.6 m), all three lights (amber/amber/red) will be lit. • At distances less than 12 inches (0.3 m), a beeping sound will repeat for a short time and all three lights (amber/amber/red) will be lit and flashing.

Lastly: If the sensors are not kept clean, then this system will not work correctly !!!

Old 03-07-2015, 04:44 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times
Thanks for the reply. I had actually asked this on the Buick forum as well and someone posted a link to the owners manual and I found this info you had posted as well. I should have came here first. lol.

Well I never knew about looking back at any light monitor as mentioned in that owners manual, so I didn't notice it, but again, I wasn't looking for it. I just backed up to a car in the parking lot and it only beeped once. I didn't go any further back in fear of hitting something and the car I was backing up to, well the owner was coming out with their basket to put the groceries in the car, so I left and said heck with it. lol.

If I find another Lucerne with the option, I will know how to check it out and how it works. The one I looked at... well for $7300, I thought it was a little steep for one with the check engine light illuminated and with 124k miles.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
The check engine may be related to this and should be checked out before you decide anything !!!

Starting on page 178 of the owners manual it states: Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) If your vehicle is equipped, the Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system is designed to help you park while in REVERSE (R). It operates only at speeds less than 5 mph (8 km/h). URPA helps make parking easier and helps you avoid colliding with objects such as parked vehicles. The URPA system detects objects that are close to the rear of the vehicle which are at least 10 inches (25.4 cm) off the ground and below hood or trunk level. The system detects objects up to 8 feet (2.5 m) behind your vehicle. URPA determines how close these objects are from your bumper within this area. Ultrasonic sensors on the rear bumper are used to detect the distance to the object.

The Ultrasonic Rear Park Assist (URPA) system does not replace driver vision. URPA does not: • Operate above speeds of 5 mph (8 km/h). • Detect objects more than 8 feet (2.5 meters) behind the vehicle. This distance may be less during warmer or humid weather. • Detect objects that are below the bumper, underneath the vehicle, or that are very close to the vehicle. • Detect children, pedestrians, bicyclists, or pets. So if you do not use proper care before backing up, you could hit a vehicle, child, pedestrian, bicyclist, or pet, resulting in vehicle damage, injury, or death. Even though the vehicle has the URPA system, always check carefully before backing up by checking behind your vehicle.

Then on page 179: How the System Works: When the shift lever is moved into REVERSE (R), the rear display will briefly illuminate to let you know the display is operating correctly. URPA comes on automatically when the shift lever is moved into REVERSE (R). The system also does not work at a reverse speed greater than 5 mph (8 km/h). To remind you of this, the red light on the rear display will flash.

How the System Works when Backing: If the shift lever is in REVERSE (R), URPA detects objects close to the rear bumper. The first time an object is detected a single beep will sound. If an object is detected at a REVERSE (R) speed between 0 mph (0km/h) and 5 mph (8 km/h), the following describes what will occur based on your distance to a detected object located behind the vehicle: • At distances between 40 inches (1 m) and 8 ft (2.5 m), a single amber light will be lit. • At distances between 23 inches (0.6 m) and 40 inches (1 m), both amber lights will be lit. • At distances between 12 inches (0.3 m) and 23 inches (0.6 m), all three lights (amber/amber/red) will be lit. • At distances less than 12 inches (0.3 m), a beeping sound will repeat for a short time and all three lights (amber/amber/red) will be lit and flashing.

Lastly: If the sensors are not kept clean, then this system will not work correctly !!!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,638 times
on my buick allure urpa light blinking red when in revers all the time no sound even if nothing is behind

Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,481 times
That's how mine works on my Lucerne. Back up and it beeps once. I should say that is how it used to work. It quit working and now it drives me crazy with the message "Service Park Assist" that pops up every time I start the car. I tried to just shut it off to disable it completely, however, it won't let me do that. It continually delivers the message "Service Park Assist." So, every time I start the car, if I want to see the odometer, I have to press the button.

Looks like someone may have backed into me when I was parked as there is a scuff on the bumper and it may have jacked up the park assist. I read that the sensors can be purchased on ebay for $20. Have not looked for them yet though.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 10,260 times
One of my beepers is punched out will this stop them from working

Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 10,260 times
One of my back up censers is pushed out. Will this stop them from working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC