Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

This is merely curiosity (I'm glad I'm not a cat), but say that I was in the market for a 2004 Chevy Silverado, LTZ package, and I found a nice looking one that was going to need some mechanical reconditioning. Let's assume the vehicle is going to have at least 150k miles on it, and I hope that I can get the thing to last, at least, another 100k miles. For those in the know, what would be the laundry list of things you would recondition on it in order to have it run like new and be fairly dependable if it was going to wind up being a daily driver? And how much would you estimate the cost of reconditioning everything you feel would need to be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 AM

149 posts, read 226,275 times
You see a lot of this sort of model reaching 200k+ pretty frequently without too many major issues. One of the biggest weak points in these trucks was the 4L60 transmission so that may be something to plan on needing to replace during that 150-250k lifespan. Front end parts will have needed to be addressed once by that mileage and may come due for a second replacement around the 150k mark. Aside from that, if the truck seems as though it has been well maintained, has good oil pressure and doesn't overheat I would just say drive it, maintain it, address issues as they arise.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Usually cooling and either rebuild the 4L60 or find a wrecked 25/3500 and hope it has a 4L80
I had a 89 00 and a 04. All reached 200k with nothing more than a cooling system repairs and the transmissions tended to go at about 180k but the trucks were used for heavy duty work towing and hauling weight.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM

I have a buddy of mine who says there are certain years to go for and certain years to stay away from. I just remember really liking the 2004 Silverado. A former supervisor of mine had one and that thing was so nice. So comfortable to ride in, and it was just a beautiful truck. He traded it this year for a newer GMC Sierra, but I think he did that just because he had finished paying off his car. Had I known he was going to trade it, I might would have tried my best to have gotten him to have sold it to me.

Would you suggest just replacing the tranny or rebuilding it?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:45 PM

364 posts, read 635,277 times
That probably is not a bad idea. I have a 2005 Silverado that I bought new and it has been a good truck. I've replaced the water pump, normal service, I did have to replace some of my brake lines (luckily found the pedal going to the floor before I left work)...I am originally from PA. The brake line issue seems to be more prevalent in northern trucks. I think I had a stuck caliper once. The 4wd switch tends to go (replaced a couple time easy cheap fix). Oh and the guages tend to go and need new stepper motors/repair.

I haven't replaced any of the steering/suspension..But would weigh if I should..What would be recommended? I have low mileage (at about 112,000 miles as my wife and I mostly carpooled for almost two years on and off).

Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 AM

Seems like these trucks, even ones trckn4life has and older can go for more than $10k, and I've seen them priced as much as $16k for a 2004 that had right at 100,000 miles. Are these expected prices for trucks of that age or are people just pricing them high?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 AM

149 posts, read 226,275 times
As far as the transmission, some people will swap in the more heavy-duty 4L80 in place of the 4L60. You can have a 4L60 'built' a little more stout but they have some design flaws and inherent weaknesses that the 4L80 does not have which makes it a superior piece. It's not a simple 'slap it in and go' swap but it's been done many times and has been documented well so most reputable shops should be able to figure it out. I would keep my eyes open for a cheap 4L80 and just have it waiting in the wings for if/when the 60 went.

trckn4life, at your mileage with no previous front end work it may be time to take a peak at your ball joints. If the steering in the truck has become more sloppy over time or tends to wander/vibrate/rattle while driving that's usually a tell-tale sign, though these are hard to notice when you drive the truck every day and just get used to things changing very slowly over time.

As far as pricing goes, they're worth what people are willing to pay so it varies greatly. I think resale prices are certainly being helped (or hurt in your case) by the fact that a new 4x4 1/2 ton truck can easily go for $50-60k anymore. Take a look at some of the ones going cheaper in your area on craigslist type sites and see what kind of mileage they have. It's not uncommon here to see these trucks listed for $5-6k with 200-220k miles on them. Seeing the mileage on some of these trucks is a testament to their lifespan though and seeing that I wouldn't hesitate to spend more for one with 100k on it, that's truly under 50% of the realistic life expectancy of one of these trucks and there are examples to prove that to be true all over the place.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 AM

364 posts, read 635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Seems like these trucks, even ones trckn4life has and older can go for more than $10k, and I've seen them priced as much as $16k for a 2004 that had right at 100,000 miles. Are these expected prices for trucks of that age or are people just pricing them high?
I agree with you on pricing I looked a few times for the heck of it about either getting a newer one or replacing one of our other vehicles with one around 2004-2009 ish...They seem to hold their value well or are marked up. Some of that I think is due to the cost of a new crew cab, 4x4 truck especially with much of any amenities. I would not drop 50-60 on a new truck even if I could it anything it would need to be a 2500 with a diesel (not needed in my situation). So, I plan on keeping my truck for awhile longer...

Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
As far as the transmission, some people will swap in the more heavy-duty 4L80 in place of the 4L60. You can have a 4L60 'built' a little more stout but they have some design flaws and inherent weaknesses that the 4L80 does not have which makes it a superior piece. It's not a simple 'slap it in and go' swap but it's been done many times and has been documented well so most reputable shops should be able to figure it out. I would keep my eyes open for a cheap 4L80 and just have it waiting in the wings for if/when the 60 went.

trckn4life, at your mileage with no previous front end work it may be time to take a peak at your ball joints. If the steering in the truck has become more sloppy over time or tends to wander/vibrate/rattle while driving that's usually a tell-tale sign, though these are hard to notice when you drive the truck every day and just get used to things changing very slowly over time.

As far as pricing goes, they're worth what people are willing to pay so it varies greatly. I think resale prices are certainly being helped (or hurt in your case) by the fact that a new 4x4 1/2 ton truck can easily go for $50-60k anymore. Take a look at some of the ones going cheaper in your area on craigslist type sites and see what kind of mileage they have. It's not uncommon here to see these trucks listed for $5-6k with 200-220k miles on them. Seeing the mileage on some of these trucks is a testament to their lifespan though and seeing that I wouldn't hesitate to spend more for one with 100k on it, that's truly under 50% of the realistic life expectancy of one of these trucks and there are examples to prove that to be true all over the place.
I've seen some that were over 200k miles priced over $10k! Heck, on Craig's List, I've seen some mid 90's Silverados priced at $16k. They had barely 100k miles, but still, you're talking about a truck that's 20 years old priced at $16k! WOW!!!!!

I noticed that the '07's are averagely prices around $20k. It's amazing how expensive these trucks are! What I had hopes for is to get a mid 2000's (or earlier) model Silverado, have it in good mechanical (and physical) shape, add some updated tech, and hopefully enjoy the truck for a few years. Have to say though, if I have about $13k in a vehicle, I almost feel I have to make sure that thing lasts for at least 6 or 7 years longer.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
I agree with you on pricing I looked a few times for the heck of it about either getting a newer one or replacing one of our other vehicles with one around 2004-2009 ish...They seem to hold their value well or are marked up. Some of that I think is due to the cost of a new crew cab, 4x4 truck especially with much of any amenities. I would not drop 50-60 on a new truck even if I could it anything it would need to be a 2500 with a diesel (not needed in my situation). So, I plan on keeping my truck for awhile longer...
I have a friend who's been able to grab similar trucks (if not Silverados) around the year I like for about $5k. He's pretty up on which years to get and which to stay away from and usually understands what you'd want to do to them, mechancially wise, to get them up to speed. But, I don't know how he gets these deals. However, that being said, he's also not afraid to purchase vehicles with salvage titles (assuming he feels comfortable with what he's getting), or trucks that are way past 200k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC