Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

I keep looking at early 2000's model Silverados, and I'm leaning more toward getting one and having it as a project truck. Would love to get a 2400 HD Duramax, but also looking at 1500's as well. That being said, I would want to do some modifications to make the truck look nice, but also to make it a bit more modern.

So, I have some questions regarding some of these modifications. First question, what is the difference between a leveling kit and a lift kit? Is it just as it's stated; one just levels the truck from front to back and the other just lifts it? Can you have a kit that does both? I've noticed a lot people tend to get the Rough Country kits. Are they the best lift kits to buy? Secondly, while I would like to lift the truck, I don't want the lift to be too exaggerated. A reasonable lift that would accommodate bigger tires. Nothing that screams I'm trying to overcompensate for any shortcomings I might have, but just something to make the ride a bit higher. Probably wouldn't do much offroad driving, but you never know.

Secondly, I'd want to install an updated stereo head unit. A touch screen unit with navi, Bluetooth, etc.. and I would like to install a backup camera as well. Seems like from videos I've seen, installing a double din head unit is pretty simple. Has anybody had any issues with this?

Next, what about upgrades on the grille, headlights, tail lights? Anybody done any of these updates? What type of upgrades to you recommend, if any? I wouldn't want the truck to look too "aftermarket", but I would want it to look like it was well reconditioned and in like new shape.

Lastly, upgrades in interior. While I don't mind cloth seats and actually prefer them, I do realize that leather tends to look nicer as long as one takes care of it. It's also easier to clean when you have a small child riding with you. How much would you think I'd expect to pay to upgrade the seats? I'd want to install heated seat functions as well.

Other than that, I might would upgrade the exhaust system, but I'm not sure about chipping the engine and upgrading the cold air intake. I'm not trying to make the truck more expensive to drive, but just a nicer looking ride if I find something I really want that's got some age on it. There is no absolute way I would ever be able to afford a new or newer truck right now. I kind of feel like buying older and doing periodic upgrades is cheaper and more fun anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Next, what about upgrades on the grille, headlights, tail lights? Anybody done any of these updates? What type of upgrades to you recommend, if any? I wouldn't want the truck to look too "aftermarket", but I would want it to look like it was well reconditioned and in like new shape.

There are a ton I've seen out there, and none of them should have seen light of day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=silv...w=1624&bih=804

Ugh:

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I keep looking at early 2000's model Silverados, and I'm leaning more toward getting one and having it as a project truck. Would love to get a 2400 HD Duramax, but also looking at 1500's as well. That being said, I would want to do some modifications to make the truck look nice, but also to make it a bit more modern.

So, I have some questions regarding some of these modifications. First question, what is the difference between a leveling kit and a lift kit? Is it just as it's stated; one just levels the truck from front to back and the other just lifts it? Can you have a kit that does both? I've noticed a lot people tend to get the Rough Country kits. Are they the best lift kits to buy? Secondly, while I would like to lift the truck, I don't want the lift to be too exaggerated. A reasonable lift that would accommodate bigger tires. Nothing that screams I'm trying to overcompensate for any shortcomings I might have, but just something to make the ride a bit higher. Probably wouldn't do much offroad driving, but you never know.

A leveling kit raises the front end to allow the truck to sit level with the back (also to accommodate larger tires in the front). Typical level is 2" in the front. I have one on my truck now. The downside is that when you hook up a trailer, the truck looks like it is squatting severely. If unleveled, when loaded the truck sits level.

Quote:
Secondly, I'd want to install an updated stereo head unit. A touch screen unit with navi, Bluetooth, etc.. and I would like to install a backup camera as well. Seems like from videos I've seen, installing a double din head unit is pretty simple. Has anybody had any issues with this?

It's pretty easy actually, but GM requires an additional harness and module, so make sure you get it.

Quote:

The only upgrade I'd consider personally is to HID ballasts to get a brighter headlight.
Quote:
Lastly, upgrades in interior. While I don't mind cloth seats and actually prefer them, I do realize that leather tends to look nicer as long as one takes care of it. It's also easier to clean when you have a small child riding with you. How much would you think I'd expect to pay to upgrade the seats? I'd want to install heated seat functions as well.

Other than that, I might would upgrade the exhaust system, but I'm not sure about chipping the engine and upgrading the cold air intake. I'm not trying to make the truck more expensive to drive, but just a nicer looking ride if I find something I really want that's got some age on it. There is no absolute way I would ever be able to afford a new or newer truck right now. I kind of feel like buying older and doing periodic upgrades is cheaper and more fun anyway.

You can purchase aftermarket seat heaters for about $200 a set. If you are looking at crew cabs, you'll spend between $2k-$3k to upgrade the seats to leather. If you do a combo CAI and exhaust you "might" see a little bit of a bump in HP and MPG (but it's slight). I don't know that I'd install a tune though because the out of the box tunes don't gain you a whole lot. If you go custom tune, then you're looking at potentially needing to upgrade engine components as well.

Word of advice on that era GM's though. Fuel pumps like to fail if you run the tank low a lot. I'd suggest keeping it at 1/4 tank or more. Dash clusters are notorious for the stepper motors that control the gauge needles failing and the cluster lights tend to go out. While it's a very cheap fix if you can do the work yourself, it requires de-soldering the bulbs and soldering in new ones. I've done it a time or two. It's not hard, but it is tedious. Overall though, they're good trucks.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
A leveling kit raises the front end to allow the truck to sit level with the back (also to accommodate larger tires in the front). Typical level is 2" in the front. I have one on my truck now. The downside is that when you hook up a trailer, the truck looks like it is squatting severely. If unleveled, when loaded the truck sits level.

It's pretty easy actually, but GM requires an additional harness and module, so make sure you get it.

The only upgrade I'd consider personally is to HID ballasts to get a brighter headlight.

You can purchase aftermarket seat heaters for about $200 a set. If you are looking at crew cabs, you'll spend between $2k-$3k to upgrade the seats to leather. If you do a combo CAI and exhaust you "might" see a little bit of a bump in HP and MPG (but it's slight). I don't know that I'd install a tune though because the out of the box tunes don't gain you a whole lot. If you go custom tune, then you're looking at potentially needing to upgrade engine components as well.

Word of advice on that era GM's though. Fuel pumps like to fail if you run the tank low a lot. I'd suggest keeping it at 1/4 tank or more. Dash clusters are notorious for the stepper motors that control the gauge needles failing and the cluster lights tend to go out. While it's a very cheap fix if you can do the work yourself, it requires de-soldering the bulbs and soldering in new ones. I've done it a time or two. It's not hard, but it is tedious. Overall though, they're good trucks.
I meant to ask how does the leveling/lift affect towing. Because one thing I want a truck for is to eventually get a camper, so I didn't want to mod it past the point where you'd not want to tow with it. So, thanks for sharing the possible issues about the leveling.

That's quite a bit about the upgrades to the seats. Maybe if we luck up and find a good deal on an LTZ, we can avoid the cost. It's more for my wife and kid than me. I don't mind cloth and actually do prefer cloth over leather, but I have seen where if my wife had cloth in her car, her interior would have been ruined by my son! But, if I have to have leather, I want my fanny to be warm on those cold winter mornings, lol!

I've heard about the issues with the instrument panels. I've found a bunch of YT videos on how to fix that, so I'm not too concerned about that. I have heard about the fuel pump issues. Luckily, I have a friend who's into flipping trucks, and he's usually able to get that stuff for a fairly good price.

Yeah, I don't think I'd really want to do a tune on the truck. It's stock engine is probably going to be more than good enough for me. Maybe a cold air intake and an upgrade with the exhaust system, but like I said before, I don't really want to make the truck so expensive that I can't afford to drive it. It would probably be my daily driver, at least until I get my Mustang!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
There are a ton I've seen out there, and none of them should have seen light of day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=silv...w=1624&bih=804

Ugh:

Yeah, I'm into the lowering of the trucks, but my friend from Tennessee loves lowered trucks. My wife likes lowered trucks too. I don't care for them. I like 4X4 trucks that are "gently" lifted and have a "mean" look to them.

That truck looks like a SS trim. Usually guys like to lower those.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I believe those 5.3 engines are bad about intake manifold gasket leaks too (along with every other GM engine of that era). A buddy of mine has a Suburban with that engine and he carries a jug of coolant around with him everywhere he goes, he says it has so miles it isn't worth spending the money to fix. I've also heard of some oil consumption issues as well.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:47 AM

997 posts, read 849,612 times
Save your money. You'll never get (even a small return) your money out of installing most of that stuff on a 15 year old vehicle.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:31 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Save your money. You'll never get (even a small return) your money out of installing most of that stuff on a 15 year old vehicle.
Not everything is about ROI dude. Sometimes it's about the enjoyment of doing it.

But... the trucks in question are holding their value, so keeping it up and tastefully modding it might actually keep it's value for a long time, outside the enjoyment of building/owning it.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
That's not always true. Especially with a Chevy Silverado. I have a friend who sold her '96 Silverado a year ago for over $9k. You're talking about a 21 year old vehicle. I have another friend who bought a 2500HD, 2002, for $3,000, turned around and sold it for $10,000. He invested about $300 in the vehicle past what he paid for it.

At the same time, a person doesn't always go and invest money into an older vehicle to turn around and resale it. I would invest money in the truck to drive and enjoy for several years - that's my ROI. Not only that, I love and prefer the looks of the early 2000's Chevy Silverados. Fixing an older one up to like new status and to customize it to my specs would still be far cheaper than buying a brand new one with those specs. Have you even seen how much a 5 year old 4X4 crew cab can fetch? I've seen them priced closed to $30k.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM

997 posts, read 849,612 times
I love Silverado too, I've had them for over 25 years. My last one, 2004 hd2500 I've had for almost 14 years. It's been a wonderful vehicle and I just can't part with it even though I could easily buy another new one. It just runs to damn good! I just feel that instead of modding up say a 15-17 year old truck, add that money to your initial purchase and hopefully get a newer better lower mileage vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC