Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance.

A family member has a 2013 Chevrolet Captiva and has been told the engine is bad.
HE says he's been told (by a mechanic) it's defective -- a manufacturer defect -- and Chevy has known this for years -- and that's why Chevy pulled it from the public market years ago, and pushed it into the fleet/rental car market.

He bought this 2013 model from a car rental company in 2014.
The car just cuts off sitting at a light.

He's in the process of deciding whether to let the car go. He says the car is not repairable.
(But he still owes money on it. Don't even ask why that is. Some financial decisions made were not the best.)

But as for the car......any info, tips, suggestions, ideas, recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Is it getting low on oil?

Old 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Not to my knowledge. It's been fairly well maintained since he got it.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
The Captiva is actually a rebadged Daewoo made in Korea, so I’m not sure if it has the same port-injected 2.4 Ecotec engine that was used in the Malibu. If it does I’m not aware of any common problems with it.

The direct-injected version of that engine used in the Equinox is the one with the major design flaw. Those are prone to early worn piston rings which causes major oil consumption.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd want more details about what's supposedly wrong with the engine. Chevy had some problems with valve trains back in the mid '00s, but that was on some of the Vortec engines and I mainly remember hearing about those on the Inline 5 cylinders they were doing at the time.

Curious about whether it's top or bottom end of the engine.. I do kinda wonder, since southernnaturelover mentioned a DI engine.. if that has a DI engine in it.. That was around the time everyone was having some serious issues with the intake valves getting dirty, and shutting off at a stop light sounds plausible there. I'd defer to others on whether i'm right on the timeframe there.

Info I can find shows it likely does have the "LFW" which is a 3.0Liter Flex Fuel engine and that it is a DI engine.

Could be a situation where the valve is dirty or the injector is.. Would cause misfires and perhaps stalls?

I'd be a little leery that a mechanic would say toss the engine.. Perhaps expensive to repair, and the problem would likely happen again, if the vehicle lived long enough..

Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
It shuts-off at stop-lights, hardly a definitive indication that the engine is shot.

How does it run otherwise?

Old 03-08-2019, 12:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.

A family member has a 2013 Chevrolet Captiva and has been told the engine is bad.
HE says he's been told (by a mechanic) it's defective -- a manufacturer defect -- and Chevy has known this for years -- and that's why Chevy pulled it from the public market years ago, and pushed it into the fleet/rental car market.

He bought this 2013 model from a car rental company in 2014.
The car just cuts off sitting at a light.

He's in the process of deciding whether to let the car go. He says the car is not repairable.
(But he still owes money on it. Don't even ask why that is. Some financial decisions made were not the best.)

Well, if you could provide any kind of information about what's wrong with it, it might be helpful. "engine is bad" is not a description.

It is repairable. It might not be a good choice financially to repair it, but it is repairable. Until the body rusts away, it's repariable

Old 03-08-2019, 12:31 PM

My relative seems to believe (has been told and led to believe) it's some dirty little secret that Chevrolet new about and kept under the rug, but shuttling the car into its fleet and rental offerings.

So no one knows anything about Captiva's having a manufacturer's defect regarding the engine, or that the car is just know for having defective engines?

That's good.
The car runs fine otherwise. I'll pass along all the responses and suggestions here.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:13 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
My relative seems to believe (has been told and led to believe) it's some dirty little secret that Chevrolet new about and kept under the rug, but shuttling the car into its fleet and rental offerings.

So no one knows anything about Captiva's having a manufacturer's defect regarding the engine, or that the car is just know for having defective engines?

That's good.
The car runs fine otherwise. I'll pass along all the responses and suggestions here.
One-offs can happen to any engine.. There was a lady here a week or so ago with a Chevy that had $800 in work put into it that didn't solve the problem. Finally got enough info that it was a misfire on cylinder 5 and the general consensus was to have the dealer take a look.. Where they.. Diagnosed a bad cam, based on what she told us..

That's an extremely odd failure, but fits with the misfire she was having.So.. Weird crap like that can happen, doesn't necessarily mean it's a common issue.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone....here's more info...
....relative says Captiva is cutting off in low idle....
....and running low on oil between normal oil change intervals. Not burning oil, just running low, between what you'd think normal intervals would be.

Last edited by selhars; 03-13-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC