Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

The alternator on my work car ( 1990 Buick Century with the 3.3L) started making a rattling noise, so my dad took it off and to a reputable shop to have new bearings installed. Got it back, put it on and now the car will not start! The battery is fine. When turned to "start" the warning lights just dim down, no other action or noise. The headlights dont even dim down that much. Its like there is no power to the starter. We thought perhaps it was something they did wrong with the alternator, so we took it back and they checked it and said it was fine and not the cause of the car not turning over. All connections are correct (only has two) and are tight. Battery cables are tight.

The car was starting fine before the alternator was taken in, so not sure whats going on now?? Any clues?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 PM

oh boy... this is going to be a tough one. We are going to have to work on that one, thats a tough one.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
Check battery voltage first, then charge if low. I think that's your problem.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
If the alternator went out and you did not charge the battery with a charger its likely the battery is dead. that is what the altewrnator does ; keep the battery charged.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Well, the alternator was actually charging, it never went out. It just started rattling one day and I stopped driving it and removed it and had new bearings installed. The car would never even crank over after that. When you try to engage the starter with the lights on, they do not even dim down... the dash lights do, but not the headlights. Battery is fully charged. Sure is a mystery.

I am thinking of selling the car back to the original owner (the lady that was going to be my step sisters grandmother-in-law) for $300.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Do you hear a "click" when you turn the key and try to engage the starter?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Do you hear a "click" when you turn the key and try to engage the starter?

Nope. Only the dash warning lights dim down.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Nope. Only the dash warning lights dim down.
Does the interior blower fan work? How about the radio?

It's likely that you've either got a battery connection problem, or a dud battery.

If it were my car, the first thing I'd do is clean up & tighten all battery connections. If that didn't solve it, I'd pull the battery and swap one (temporarily) out of another car.

I always try to work the cheap angles first.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Thanks. Yeah, everything come on full steam. lol. I actually took the battery off a little while ago for another car I had to move and it started it fine.

Remember this is the car that had the ignition switch bypassed with a toggle switch by my step sisters ex-boyfriend, but the car has started perfectly like that until the alternator was removed... perhaps its something with that and its a rare coincidence that whatever it was happened when we had new bearings put in the alternator?

We have had a shower of car problems this week... except my Lincoln and dads Nissan truck, so far so good (knock on wood)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,450 times
Did you try jump starting with good thick cables? Like other poster said bad alts will wear down battery and I'd try that or replacing with known good battery or putting a charge on battery and try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC