Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 21,182 times

Advertisements

3 years ago, when I was working for a company. While I was working, I also started an LLC with Delaware state. My wife and I are the members of this LLC. However, certificate of incorporation from the Delaware state does not list any members.

6 months ago, I resigned from the company that I was working to join another high-paying company. If I laid off from the new company, will I be eligible for claiming the unemployment benefits given that I am a member of an LLC. The LLC has not generated any income for last two years.

I highly appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Kumaran

Last edited by kumaran; 10-08-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
You should call lawyer.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Thanks Avengerfire.

I will wait for a little while to see if anyone, who had a similar experience willing to share his/her experience before I call a lawyer.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Unless you are an employee of the LLC you are probably out of luck. If you received pay you should be eligible.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks a lot.

I was not an employee of the LLC because I started it. However, I received the salary from a different company that I was employed at. Given this situation, do you think that I should have been an employee as well for the LLC also in order to be eligible. The LLC did not make any income and I had no employees for the LLC. Since I was working for a different company, I earned income from that different company.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM

The state goes by earning periods. Depending on what part of the year it is-the last period they go by can be 6 months ago. If you have little or no earnings in the the 4 quarter period they use-you will get little if any benefits.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Thank you for your response. Just to make sure that you understood the situation well.

I have been earning good income last 6 months from a company that I do not own. This company is reputed firm, which I was an employee.

The LLC that I started in Delaware is totally seperate. I was not an employee but a member of the firm. This company was not making any income for the last one year.

My question was If lose my job from the reputed firm, will I be able to claim for the unemployment benefits? Or will it be rejected since I am a member of an LLC eventhough this LLC did not generate income.

Thank you.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaran View Post
...My question was If lose my job from the reputed firm, will I be able to claim for the unemployment benefits? Or will it be rejected since I am a member of an LLC eventhough this LLC did not generate income...
I can't tell you for sure. But I think you can collect off of the last job. But it may not be very much because of the reasons I stated above.

You should apply and see what happens. That is the best advice I can give you right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs