Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM

13 posts, read 40,211 times

Advertisements

hi, i posted this in an old thread, but did not get responses, so i thought i'd try my luck with a brand new thread

i am a Hungarian, and i was offered a job at my company HQs in warrenville, they want me to relocate to chicago area for min 2 years. i am taking my wife with me

which sub is the best to start searching for accomodation. place i am looking for
- preferably has nice downtown area (like Naperville),
- an OK selection of restaurants and sport bars,
- park, green area
- well equipped fittness centre,
- should be an OK distance from warrenville.
- no children yet, so school is not a concern
- some access to train to chicago

thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Are you looking to buy or rent? What kind of budget are you working with?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Are you looking to buy or rent? What kind of budget are you working with?
oh, yes - thanks for bringing that up, its an important point.

going to rent, but the company is going to pay, i have not seen the exact financial side of the offer, but i would guess we are looking at mid-to-upper class rentals

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM

Given your situation and what you're looking for i think naperville would be the choice.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
If job is in Warrenville the easy choice is Naperville. Next on list would be (in decreasing order, mostly based on distance and then desirability for you situation):

-Wheaton: closer to Warrenville, not as vibrant as Naperville
-Glen Ellyn: a bit further but still easy commute, smaller so a little less options
-Downers Grove: similar to Glen Ellyn, not quite as pricey, maybe a bit less conservative
-Elmhurst: more options, but commute starts to stretch
-Lombard: might be closer that Elhurst, less well developed

Longer commute to Oak Park would make sense only if spouse needs / wants to get into Chicago daily for school or work

Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM

thanks for the responses so far.

would St Charles, Geneva, Batavia rival Naperville?

or is Naperville without par in that area? ( i liked Naperville downtown very much i am just curious about the alternatives)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM

St charles and geneva also have nice downtowns, but i wouldn't say they are better than naperville. Also of the three listed only geneva has train service.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Pretty much...

Geneva and St. Charles do have a few nightspots and shops that are very very nice (and I have friends that own businesses in one town or the other...) but a HUGE step down in terms of scale and variety compared to Naperville.

Batavia is a bit more basic, and while visually charming and a really good value for home buyers, offers significantly less to do. Even friends that are HUGE supporters would admit that the restaurant "scene" is much better in other towns.

Now if your employer is actually going to give you an allowance for housing, or just adjust your salary so it is your own money you are spending the discount for Batavia may allow you to rent a townhouse with attached garage instead of a condo with open parking and those kind of trade offs MIGHT be very sensible if you have a nice car and hate snow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
thanks for the responses so far.

would St Charles, Geneva, Batavia rival Naperville?

or is Naperville without par in that area? ( i liked Naperville downtown very much i am just curious about the alternatives)

Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Now if your employer is actually going to give you an allowance for housing, or just adjust your salary so it is your own money you are spending the discount for Batavia may allow you to rent a townhouse with attached garage instead of a condo with open parking and those kind of trade offs MIGHT be very sensible if you have a nice car and hate snow...
well its not a big concern, i keep the car on the street currently as well, since i only have an apartment in Budapest (i just hope the car i receive will have seat heating )

what about sports facilities? fitness centre, squash, bowling, swimming pool, areas for cycling (if the weather permits)? which burb is best equipped from this regard?

also, i was wondering - these communities are quite close to each other (as i see on the map and as i remember from my visits to warrenville). do peolpe drive around for dining, beer etc, or each suburb sticks to their own bars/restaurants? i just cant imagine living next to naperville (say Wheaton) and not hop over to naperville downtown for an evening stroll...

Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Moved to Chicago Suburbs Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs