Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,081,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Graduation is an individual measure that has a lot of importance, as far as having options. Big difference between being a high school graduate and not completing high school. Especially coming from a low income environment. It's all about graduating and being able to move on to bigger and better things. Whether it's attending college, going to the military, going to trade school, union job, any other job. All of those options require finishing high school. Usually most people who do not finish high school end up having to go back and finish anyway later in life if they plan on doing something legit that requires getting more education. Not graduating high school has the longest lasting effect on those who attend a school in a low income area with a low graduation rate. If you do finish up high school coming from a not so great area, you have the option to be able to move on. Lower test scores have little to no effect on the options a low income student has after graduating high school. It's the ones who don't graduate that the lower test scores end up mattering for at the end of the day. Plenty of options for a 18 year old high school graduate coming from say thornton. I would say not having alot of money is the only other big obstacle.

Even if you don't test well enough for a top ranked college after high school. You still will have plenty of other 4 year colleges and career path options if you finished high school. And some of the most financially stable mid to late 20 somethings I know didn't even go to a four year college. But they all atleast finished high school and got some trade education and are now making good money. I know a couple of 20 something union guys, a barber shop owner, a few in the military, sales rep, a cop who all did not go to a four year college and are doing just as good as a lot of 20 somethings that I know who did go to a four year college. And many have been earning money much longer and are in far less debt than a lot of college graduates.
You know a bunch of successful people in their mid twenties who didn't go to college? Wow, in this recession, not a lot of people can say the same. Opportunities are few and far between, especially for the inexperienced. And you're from the far south suburbs like me? I'm 24 and what you're describing sure isn't a reflection of what I see around me. How many of these 20 somethings live in the south suburbs (because I know you lived in the city for a while)?

A good friend of mine is currently attending law school in Saint Louis. He grew up in Park Forest, Illinois and went to the University of Missouri. It's incredible. He told me how more than half of the people in his graduating class moved back in with their parents. I know a number of people in their mid twenties (both college educated and not) who work at grocery stores.. And FYI, most sales reps don't make s***. Most don't make enough to pay car insurance, car loans AND a $500+/month rent check without roommates. Being in the military isn't an image of success either. Signing up for the military is like all those girls who talk about how they're going back to school to be a medical assistant (if I had a nickel for every time I heard that, I'd be "financially stable"). It's a last ditch effort to make something of yourself. The military is also a good way to make some college money.

Last edited by urza216; 06-02-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM

829 posts, read 2,091,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You know a bunch of successful people in their mid twenties who didn't go to college? Wow, in this recession, not a lot of people can say the same. And you're from the far south suburbs like me? I'm 24 and what you're describing sure isn't a reflection of what I see around me.

A good friend of mine is currently attending law school in Saint Louis. He grew up in Park Forest, Illinois and went to the University of Missouri. It's incredible. He told me how more than half of the people he knew in his graduating class moved back in with their parents. I know a number of people in their mid twenties (both college educated and not) who work at grocery stores.. And FYI, sales reps don't make s*** the last time I checked - certainly not enough for rent payments without a roommate in the Chicago area.

Good point, a lot of people in there 20's are living at home with there folks. College educated or not. My point was it's about having options. Just one course, to go to a top notch college is not the only charted course.

I know several younger people who did not go to a 4 year college who are doing a lot better than most people there same age with 4 year degrees. They have been working longer, currently earning about the same as the person with the degree who just started working, and have less debt expenses. I find that when it comes to people in there 20's, it's not only how much you make but also how little you can spend when you are in your 20's and 30's. And not being saddled with debt. If you earn a good income but spend every penny of it it paying bills and servicing your debt payments. Someone else who earns less but spends less than half of there income every month on bills and servicing debt is actually attaining more wealth. Having low bills and little debt is the way to go when you are young. Cheap car, cheap rent or roommate, little to no debt. I see most people that I know from better families doing things that way. That is until they save up to where they can afford a good lifestyle without excessive debt.

Last edited by allen2323; 06-02-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM

2,158 posts, read 5,502,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You know a bunch of successful people in their mid twenties who didn't go to college? Wow, in this recession, not a lot of people can say the same. Opportunities are few and far between, especially for the inexperienced. And you're from the far south suburbs like me? I'm 24 and what you're describing sure isn't a reflection of what I see around me. How many of these 20 somethings live in the south suburbs (because I know you lived in the city for a while)?

A good friend of mine is currently attending law school in Saint Louis. He grew up in Park Forest, Illinois and went to the University of Missouri. It's incredible. He told me how more than half of the people in his graduating class moved back in with their parents. I know a number of people in their mid twenties (both college educated and not) who work at grocery stores.. And FYI, most sales reps don't make s***. Most don't make enough to pay car insurance, car loans AND a $500+/month rent check without roommates. Being in the military isn't an image of success either. Signing up for the military is like all those girls who talk about how they're going back to school to be a medical assistant (if I had a nickel for every time I heard that, I'd be "financially stable"). It's a last ditch effort to make something of yourself. The military is also a good way to make some college money.
The last bolded part is so sad but so true...It seems like the people who I graduated with who were doing NOTHING for themselves after HS are all either medical coders or in the military (neither group aspired to those occupations either)...and this was only after the threat of being thrown out by parents...the few that did actually aspire to have military careers went to prestigious military prep schools and then got into West Point or another academy. The others who wanted to go into the healthcare field got their BSN's and if they could not find a nursing job (which is rare) only then would take long-term positions as CNA's, LPN's, medical billers, etc.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:12 PM

829 posts, read 2,091,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The last bolded part is so sad but so true...It seems like the people who I graduated with who were doing NOTHING for themselves after HS are all either medical coders or in the military (neither group aspired to those occupations either)...and this was only after the threat of being thrown out by parents...the few that did actually aspire to have military careers went to prestigious military prep schools and then got into West Point or another academy. The others who wanted to go into the healthcare field got their BSN's and if they could not find a nursing job (which is rare) only then would take long-term positions as CNA's, LPN's, medical billers, etc.
But the fact is most people end up doing things they really don't want to do. Including myself, although I own my own businesses which gives me tons of free time. What most people do for a living is beyond boring. If they don't find it boring it is usually because they are naturally very boring people themselves. I certainly would not want to be in the military. But yeah, I know military guys who save a lot of money do to the military welfare lifestyle. Free housing allowance, a lot of free meals, travel paid for, free insurance, free college tuition, etc. With the smart ones, most of there salary ends up in the bank. It's a lot easier to phase into something that you really want to do if you have capital saved up. Whether it is invest in a business, real estate, trade stock, etc. Even in enjoyable careers, most people still wish that they had more autonomy. Who really likes working under someone else in any job? Most people only do it for the money. If given the skills to do something lucrative, most people would rather be self employed or own there own business. Nothing better than working for self.

Last edited by allen2323; 06-02-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,112,299 times
Seems to me when your 16, 17 or 18 your still not developed enough to truly decide what you want to do for a career

and it does seem like the twenty somethings are staying at home longer and longer all the time

i took the military route and would not have traded that for anything

Old 03-20-2023, 12:28 PM

120 posts, read 171,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kqstudio View Post
My son is graduating 8th grade, we live in Harvey, IL and the neighborhood high school is too dangerous for my son to attend. I know its quite late to be applying for high schools but im extremely scared for my son to go to this school. He is a very smart and intellectual young man and he not a typical teenager. He isnt interested in name brand styles and doesnt speak ebonics. So in this school he will stick out like a sore thumb. I know the only options I have for him are private schools but I just got laid-off from my job and cannot afford to pay tuition but I am willing to volunteer my time in the school for any tuition thats being offered to him. If anyone has any suggestions, please contact me.
I wanted to respond and revive this thread to this to raise awareness about a solution for low-income families:

Many top-tier private schools in the Northeast offer EXTREMELY generous financial aid for talented students, especially those who may be underrepresented minorities and for those who are from underrepresented areas (like the South Suburbs).

Phillips Andover, Phillips Exeter, Choate, Hotchkiss, Deerfield Academy, and so many others come to mind for generous prep schools that could have tuition rates lower than LOCAL private schools, like Marian Catholic. Of course, this all depends on your family income; if your household makes under 65K/year, low tuition is likely (and they might even pay for room, board, and travel). The downside is that admission to these high schools is ultra-competitive, but if your children can get in, they have the potential to make great strides in social mobility.

If you want your kids to stay nearby, I know Glenwood Academy tries to emulate East Coast prep schools, but I have no idea how well regarded it is. That said, it’s tuition free for low income families and probably a step up from Bloom Trail or TF South…

IMSA exists in-state, too, but some of the lodging costs could be expensive. But if you have high-achieving kids but are a low-income parent, consider private schools in the Northeast and using QuestBridge when applying to college!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs