Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 17,743 times

Advertisements

Hawthorn Woods? Long Grove? Lake Zurich? Lake Barrington? Our realtor suggested these areas as good places to live (and within good school system) but does it meet our criteria:
  1. places to go shopping
  2. outdoor activities (gym, rec center, parks, lake?)
  3. safe neighborhoods
  4. nice mix of dining options
  5. diversity in the neighborhoods
Can't tell (from looking online) the major differences between the cities. Does one or the other have more to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM

60 posts, read 174,558 times
Default We Live in North Barrington....

Which is smack dab in the middle of all of the places you are searching for. Answers:

1. A ton of them down Rand road in Lake Zurich.....everything you could want from Costco to Trader Joe's to Ann Taylor to Sears Hardware and Home Depot.

2. Lake Zurich has its own park district. Not sure about Long Grove....typically Hawthorn Woods, Deer Park, North Barrington will utilize Lake Zurich's PD amenties. Barrington also has a park district of its own. Foglia YMCA is a wonderful facility, in Lake Zurich with tons of amenties (workout equipment, classes, personal trainers), swimming pool, summer activities, etc.

3. Yes. No worries here.

4. Depending on your tastes, experiences and sophistication....I would consider the entire area "average" in terms of dining options...but, with that said, off the topic of my head, I can think of at least 4-5 good sit down restaurants, a bevy of fast food sit down restaurants and even more drive through fast food restaurants. It just depends on what you are looking for. There is no doubt you can find a good restaurant if you are looking for one - american, greek, italian, japanese, french, latin american all come to mind off the top of my head.

5. Not really. Racially speaking, this is a very caucasian area. Socioeconomically, you are probably talking middle to upper middle income levels throughout the area. We are a racially diverse family and have never had any concerns or challenges living in this area. But it's not what I would consider diverse by any means.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
fyi, it's called Lake County. When I saw Lake District, I thought of that area of England.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Diversification means different things to different people. What does this term mean to you? Housing? Religion? Mixed age groups? Race? Sexual preference? Ethnic backgrounds? Income brackets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs