Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM

24 posts, read 107,607 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Long time SW sider here and I'm looking to move far, far away from the SW side. It's time for a change and I noticed a lot of jobs for myself are either downtown or up north near Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park. I like all of those burbs and the style homes. We're looking under $350k, 3 bedroom, as long as it's clean, nice, and updated, we're not looking for a mansion.

I worked at Discover Card for a year so I'm familiar with the area on Lake Cook Road and I have a friend in Highland Park. I know all have good schools but it appears Deerfield taxes are the highest. And we all know taxes never go down. So I'm looking for a decent price home now (again $350k) where loss of value isn't going to be bad (Palos Hills isn't great) and neighborhood stays stable (I'm not trusting the SW area; my parents lived near Marquette Park and it went from decent middle class to now totally crime ridden ghetto in the late 80s).

My husband seems to prefer Northbrook (although he really wants LaGrange). I'm fairly open. What can you tell me about those three burbs as far as:

good schools (public)
flood plains: is it a heavily flooded area (talking waist high water in a basement)? Where we live in Palos Hills we're on top of a huge hill so flooding is not an issue.
taxes. Again, seems Deerfield is the highest.
any areas better than others (for example in Palos Hills, you want to be closer to LaGrange Road rather than Hickory Hills or Bridgeview for resale, community, schools).

Our son is turning 4 so this move would be for us to stay until possibly high school or beyond. We're 40 so this would be our home until retirement or beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM

382 posts, read 820,589 times
We were house hunting in all of those areas and hands down preferred Highland Park. It is miles apart from the other two in terms of beauty and charm. Plus it has a vibrant downtown area. The other two are just like any other suburb in my opinion. LaGrange is also very nice and has lots of trees and historic homes which lend a nice charm. LaGrange is pretty conveniant, too.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:21 PM

694 posts, read 2,006,325 times
Deerfield and Northbrook are good bets in addition to Highland Park. Deerfield High School and GlenBrook north are better High Schools then Highland Park. Deerfield has a great downtown too. I like Highland Park but there is definitely the snob factor going on, plus the direct breeze off Lake Michigan makes it always 10 degrees colder in the spring and summer in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs