Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm seriously considering moving to the Chicago area from southern Los Angeles. I would love any advice on what areas are safe/affordable. It would be great to easily access the city. Also curious about the weather & employment opportunities. I am currently waiting tables and going to school. I haven't been to the area & would really appreciate any advice on what I'm in for. THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 AM

216 posts, read 723,468 times
It is an expensive city. I'm assuming you are young and single, so the city is your best bet. There are many areas that you could look into and the prices vary. Far west and south sides probably have the most crime. Do you know anyone here? The best thing is to come and visit. Look around the neighborhoods and see what you like. I can tell you my cousin almost did this last year and he couldn't find any decent apartments in safe/quality neighborhoods under 1200k a month. That is even for a little studio. There are many areas that are recently getting better and may be affordable. You really have to look carefully and find someone who knows the city. This forum is a great idea, you should get a lot of good advice. If you can find a roommate, that may be good for a awhile. On the positive side is your restaurant experience. There are so many opportunities in Chicago and suburbs for waiting tables. Overall, you really have to come visit to see what fits your lifestyle. Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default More Advice About Chicago

Hello Meadow123:

The previous thread, 'Emmi 605' sums up Chicago very well. The only very minor 'typo' correction is probably the rent at '1200K' per month. 'K' obviously means 1,000. So this probably should read at $1,200 per month of rent. And that seems correct.
IF as 'Meadow123', you are a young lady, then it is imperative that you come with someone that you know. Either a girl friend, a boy friend of your husband. Why? Because as Emmi 605 indicated, certain Chicago areas are VERY dangerous. So it is imperative that you don't wander by yourself into such a neighborhood.
The Chicago METRA railroad system to the outlying suburbs are arranged like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Downtown Chicago is the 'hub' of that wheel. So IF you were to decide to live out in the nearby Chicago suburbs, my advice is to choose a railroad suburban community. I hope this helps you and others interested in the area.

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 AM

61 posts, read 301,155 times
Just for the weather difference alone, I would stay in CA. Unless you like cold weather and biting wind chill. It will be a HUGE change from CA.

I know a trip can be expensive, but I would suggest taking a trip here in the winter time - even for just a couple of days - bring a friend and kinda tour around the city. See if you can stand the weather at its worst, and take a look around. Find neighborhoods you like, areas, etc. and then come back and ask specific questions. All the answers you are looking for can vary largely even from neighborhood to neighborhood in Chicago.

But good luck! Chicago is a beautiful ciy, lots of fun, very cultural; but like others have said, can also be very expensive. As I'm sure southern CA can be too.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxJoyfulxx View Post
Just for the weather difference alone, I would stay in CA. Unless you like cold weather and biting wind chill. It will be a HUGE change from CA.

I know a trip can be expensive, but I would suggest taking a trip here in the winter time - even for just a couple of days - bring a friend and kinda tour around the city. See if you can stand the weather at its worst, and take a look around. Find neighborhoods you like, areas, etc. and then come back and ask specific questions. All the answers you are looking for can vary largely even from neighborhood to neighborhood in Chicago.

But good luck! Chicago is a beautiful ciy, lots of fun, very cultural; but like others have said, can also be very expensive. As I'm sure southern CA can be too.

YES!!! Come here at Christmas time. That way you can experience Chicago in the winter and still experience the Mag Mile all lit up and festively filled with Christmas shoppers. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like and hear what it sounds like.
YouTube - Chicago - Michigan Ave In the video you can see Bandera... EXCELLENT restaurant. Check it out.

And also check out shopping on State St.
YouTube - Chicago - Michigan Ave

And you can enjoy our street musicians. LOL!
YouTube - Christmas in Chicago At least it adds to the whole overall festive atmosphere here.

And lastly if you do move here, you may be able to enjoy winter mornings like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iQMC3amJQ It can be romantic.

Last edited by NYrules; 10-23-2007 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
It is an expensive city. I'm assuming you are young and single, so the city is your best bet. There are many areas that you could look into and the prices vary. Far west and south sides probably have the most crime. Do you know anyone here? The best thing is to come and visit. Look around the neighborhoods and see what you like. I can tell you my cousin almost did this last year and he couldn't find any decent apartments in safe/quality neighborhoods under 1200k a month. That is even for a little studio. There are many areas that are recently getting better and may be affordable. You really have to look carefully and find someone who knows the city. This forum is a great idea, you should get a lot of good advice. If you can find a roommate, that may be good for a awhile. On the positive side is your restaurant experience. There are so many opportunities in Chicago and suburbs for waiting tables. Overall, you really have to come visit to see what fits your lifestyle. Good Luck.
First, "it is an expensive city" is relative. This town is a bargain compared to where she lives now. Second, I don't know which Chicago your cousin looked in that he couldn't find a decent studio in a decent neighborhood for under $1200, but it's not the same one I live in. Either he didn't look very hard or he's incredibly fussy. You can find a decent studio in, say, Lincoln Square, for just over half that -- utilities included -- provided you can live without granite countertops and 42" cherry cabinets. Right now I rent a 2-bedroom 1200 sqft apartment for $900/mo. That doesn't include utilities but it does include off-street parking. I didn't even have to look that hard for it -- I found it on a week's notice. Lots of other places I looked at were cheaper yet just as nice or nicer, though they were all smaller (but still all 2-bedroom).

Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First, "it is an expensive city" is relative. This town is a bargain compared to where she lives now. Second, I don't know which Chicago your cousin looked in that he couldn't find a decent studio in a decent neighborhood for under $1200, but it's not the same one I live in. Either he didn't look very hard or he's incredibly fussy. You can find a decent studio in, say, Lincoln Square, for just over half that -- utilities included -- provided you can live without granite countertops and 42" cherry cabinets. Right now I rent a 2-bedroom 1200 sqft apartment for $900/mo. That doesn't include utilities but it does include off-street parking. I didn't even have to look that hard for it -- I found it on a week's notice. Lots of other places I looked at were cheaper yet just as nice or nicer, though they were all smaller (but still all 2-bedroom).

I would second Drover. I have several friends with studios for $700 in really nice neigborhoods and a few with 2 bedrooms for $1200 in similarily nice neighborhoods. You can find something that is much cheaper than $1200 a month! If you are coming from LA, Chicago prices are not going to be surprising at all!!
Regarding the don't move into the city if you are a single girl comment, I would completely disagree. As long as you are aware of your surroundings, as you should be in any big city, I wouldn't worry.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:45 PM

281 posts, read 928,036 times
Ditto to Drover and Jessiegirl. Compared to LA or anywhere urban in California, Chicago is a huge bargain. Long term residents don't realize how good we have it here.
Winter can be rough if you don't like cold. But it is beautiful. The parks and bungalows covered in snow look like something out of a Christmas card. The lakefront is beautiful in all seasons. And our summers are glorious! Even if you hate winter, summer makes it worthwhile.
The northern lakefront neighborhoods, Edgewater and East Rogers Park, have some good bargains in handsome old apartment buildings. I lived in Rogers Park for 5 years and never had any problems. It is at least as safe as any affordable neighborhood in LA.
There are lots of good inexpensive restaurants, alternative music clubs and theaters. We have lots of great public and private colleges (many quite affordable) and no end of good restaurant jobs.
Chicago is the greatest city I've ever seen, and I've been around. You won't be sorry.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:42 PM

216 posts, read 723,468 times
I'm seriously so glad to hear that my cousin was not seeing the whole picture. He must have been very picky. I do know he was looking very near the loop and Columbia college. I wasn't with him, but this was the info he gave me. Best of luck on the search! Chicago is an amazing city and I would highly recommend the experience of living there. Kids made me move to the burbs, but hope I can return someday.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
I'm seriously so glad to hear that my cousin was not seeing the whole picture. He must have been very picky. I do know he was looking very near the loop and Columbia college. I wasn't with him, but this was the info he gave me. Best of luck on the search! Chicago is an amazing city and I would highly recommend the experience of living there. Kids made me move to the burbs, but hope I can return someday.
That's why he wasn't able to find anything decent for under $1200. Had he been willing to broaden his search to more conventional residential areas, he would not have had so much difficulty. As long as the OP doesn't insist on living right near the loop, she should be able to find decent housing for much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs