Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

I work in hoffman estates. We are looking for houses in that area (range 350K - 450K). We are concerned about the school district (U-46) as we know that it is not gr8. Is anyone think that other than "School" is there any other concern for not to move to HS. Will you recommend any subdivisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
I lived in an apartment/condo there for awhile.....its is one of my least favorite places in the suburbs....its really not my style anyway, I dont like that area. But I also didn't like living in a big building with lots of strangers, I am sure a house would be nicer.

Its ok. You are atleast close to I-90 and shopping and restaraunts.

As for crime....yeah there is more of it in the area that one would assume. Just a lot of people in a small space, and lots of apartments and condos. I would guess that leads to a bit more of a "transient" sort of community with more people coming and going in the school system.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiya View Post
I work in hoffman estates. We are looking for houses in that area (range 350K - 450K). We are concerned about the school district (U-46) as we know that it is not gr8. Is anyone think that other than "School" is there any other concern for not to move to HS. Will you recommend any subdivisions?
Hoffman Estates is a nice suburb, but much of it is not in Elgin's U-46 district. Hoffman Estates schools are good. I think only the newer far West section falls into U-46, so if you are worried about the school district, you should be able to find a home in HE that is not in U-46. Overall, HE is a good community.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Hoffman Estates is just kinda BLAH, if you ask me. Id look into Schaumburg if you want that area, its nicer and alot more entertaining.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
I question the amount of crime. I wonder how much of it is retail theft (shoplifting) as there are so many strip malls and of course Woodfield Mall is close by.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:36 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
I don't know. I lived in a very large condo/apartment complex and I always just had a weird feeling, never really felt totally safe. My roommate was a weirdo too with weird friends, that didnt' help!

I dont want to generalize, it just seems that since you will have a lot of lower income and younger people in apartments and condos, it might be a bit more transitory in nature and the crime will be a bit higher than some of the really slow suburbs.

Hoffman is definitley not a crime hotpsot, its just that I have had better experiecnes elsewhere....and it is close to Hanover Park which is not the greatest....then on the other hand South Barrington is to the north of Hoffman which is really pretty safe.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:26 PM

84 posts, read 428,411 times
Crime should not be a major concern in most parts of Hoffman Estates. I'm not doubting there might have been some creepy people in a big apartment building, but most of HE is dominated by subdivisions filled with medium-sized single family homes.

As sbd78 said, a lot of the Western side of HE where the newer homes are falls into U46. If you're only dealing with elementary school age kids, you might be OK in U46 for awhile since a lot of those subdivisions have their own schools which aren't really affected by the Elgin scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs