Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 838 times

Advertisements

Real Estate Issue
Central Illinois

I have a mess, here's the issue:

My nephew, age 52, was to buy my home & garage as I'd divorced. This was Sept 2014. He sold modest property that he inherited from his dad and chose to keep the garage & move it Sept 2014. He had not provided a down payment on my place, no activity at all—all on word and trust. He moved the garage to my place & assured me he was working with the bank to finance. I told him to take the garage to his own house until he had the money. I am over the road truck driver gone most of the time. My fiance and I came home & he'd moved the garage on my half vacant lot next to my garage. He again assured me he was working on the loan to purchase. Same conversation, he said he was working on having a concrete foundation poured. I said NO, take the garage to your own place, put it on blocks until you've arranged financing to purchase my place. My fiance and I came home, foundation was poured & he was sweeping it out. I told him again that I'd told him not to do that. He strung me along on the purchase through the end of 2014. I found out in mid December 2014 that he'd been fired from his job before he moved the garage to my property. Now I learned that he has not paid real estate taxes on his place for over 8 years and the taxes had been sold. He will likely receive an eviction this fall. He felt he could sell the garage that has been on my property, for 3 years this September, because he doesn't have the money to move it & he obviously would lose it in the tax sale of his place (which he hasn't divulged to me) I know through court records on line. He has the garage full of junk. I told him the end of June 2017 that we planned to move, I put up a FSBO sign, I have some interest but his garage is an issue. Who owns it? I feel I do. But I do not want it, he and his wife are claiming they're victims because I have my place for sale. If he sells it am I responsible to pay income or real estate tax income on it? He'll keep the money from the sale. I assume I will have to sign documents with the county if he sells it and that will appear that I sold it and made money off of the sale which I will not. My property tax changed after he poured the foundation. If he sells it, I can't trust him, I am concerned the buyer will think they're getting the ground it sits on next to my garage. He has no authority to sign my name to anything. He's paid no rent, no rent charged. Yesterday, a neighbor said a man in a suit was here last week walking around near the house, with a clipboard like he was an appraiser. I was in SE USA making deliveries last week so I don't know who it was. I haven't hired an appraiser or Realtor so I have no clue who he was. Do I have an attorney process an eviction on my behalf as I can't take off work to appear in court. I am on the road sometimes 8-12 days at a time. I need to tell him once and for all the legal facts and get him out of here so I know how to price my sale--whether or not that garage is included in the sale. I have some serious health issues & was hospitalized and I do not want anyone to know other than my fiance. If my health spirals down worse then I won't move but dealing with him makes me ill. I want him off my property and out of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Talk to a lawyer, quick. Sounds like you'll still be out some money but the longer you wait the worse it will get.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 PM

44 posts, read 54,354 times
Illinoislegalaid.org

Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Not the place for legal advice, get a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs