Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM

68 posts, read 273,930 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions:
I am looking to buy a vacant land and build a house of my choice.
I need help in deciding which areas are good for doing so, I am open in terms of which area it is (see the highlighted area on the map link), as long as the following:

• Decent schools.
  • Metra transportation to/from the city.
  • Not too far off the highway/interstate.
  • Looking to stay North, Northwest, and West Burbs
  • I would also prefer a community that is family oriented and welcome to brown people.
  • I get more bang for my buck (same dollars won’t buy me the same size of land in Skokie as it will say in Genoa). I am willing to spend up to 400k on land + construction on a decent quality home. Hopefully on a lot greater than 0.50 acres.

I know these ‘requirements’ are a bit vague but I would appreciate some guidance. And if your recommendation does not fall in the shaded area feel free to share, I am open to all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
I know in my area, just finding an empty lot larger than a postage stamp, or any empty lot at that - would be a task.

If i were looking for available property, i'd get on some real estate sites and just look for a LOT [period] you may be very lucky to find a half acre ... but by looking at your map, those are pretty populated areas ... finding a lot, that is not a 'tear down' may be a difficult task.

Good Luck in your quest.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 PM

25 posts, read 131,918 times
My husband and I are planning on doing the exact same thing one of these years. I always check teardowns.com for listings to get an idea of what land prices are in the areas we're interested in. I actually work for a land development company in Plainfield and what our builders suggest is to narrow down a builder who you would want to use and they would work with you to help find the right property and be in the process with you. I'm not familiar with your specified areas, like how much empty land there is to build on. I've been looking in Downers and Lombard and those are definitely the teardown route. I spoke to a builder in Lombard over the summer and they said they would do build to suit for whatever price range we wanted and they also had a few different lots to build on. If we wanted to build on a lot they did not own, we would probably have to buy that property first, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The realtor for the builder was actually who I spoke to and she mentioned land loans and things like that. I could have sworn that she mentioned the builder was responsible for that until construction was complete but I'm not positive I understood what she was saying.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,280 times
Vacant land is hard to come by in the more upscale areas of Chicago and the suburbs. I would take a smaller lot and smaller house in an established area over a far flung suburb.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
wjl

3 posts, read 14,041 times
aamert,

It won't be easy to find in your area mapped but it can be done.

As a professional land surveyor registered in IL I'll say be very careful.
Have a current survey done by a reputable, local surveyor. If the land is not a lot in a officially-recorded subdivision get title insurance to determine if any easements encumber the property.

Use an attorney for your closing.

Of course, make sure it's buildable property (floodplain issues), that is has water, that it has access, etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:05 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
you may be able to look in the western or far western suburbs. go out to elburn, sugar grove, yorkville, even maple park, or cortland.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
How about Westmont, east LaGrange or Brookfield? I guess I'm thinking more tear-down though.
Also, possibly Fox River Grove or Woodstock?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM

89 posts, read 261,920 times
For Tear down you might want to look at Clarendon HIlls. LaGrange is nice as well. Geneva, St. Charles area might be of interest, espeically with Geneva having a train.
Sugar Grove, Yorkville, Elburn are very rural and offer very little in terms family entertainment But you can get a much bigger lot.

It all boils down to what is important to you. Always are trade offs.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 24,273 times
I would also suggest Downers Grove.

My wife and I found a condemmed home on a nice sized 80x220 lot and are building in Downers. We are 7 blocks from the train station (Belmont station) and 1.2 miles from the downtown area. We're 1 mile from 355 as well.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:07 PM

68 posts, read 273,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
I would also suggest Downers Grove.

My wife and I found a condemmed home on a nice sized 80x220 lot and are building in Downers. We are 7 blocks from the train station (Belmont station) and 1.2 miles from the downtown area. We're 1 mile from 355 as well.
How is the area around where you are building?
Did you tear down the existing structure?
What led you to choose Downers over any other suburb?
Also, if you dont mind sharing the price range you paid? (you can PM me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs