Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,425 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Chicago in a little while, we need to find a good place to live. My husband will be working in Deerfield, and I'd like to keep his commute to under 30 minutes if possible, but not more than 45 minutes. Also (and you may all start to laugh at me) I'd like a "country" feel. I'm not a city girl at all. So maybe you can recommend areas that are less crowded?

We'll be renting initially, and we don't want to spend more than $1800 per month. It'd be great to have a 2000 sq. ft, 3 bedroom home. Is that possible??

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
You can't do it. If you expand your commute time by a factor of 2x you might find something to the northwest: from: NW Hwy and three oaks Rd to: Deerfield, IL - Google Maps

Personally that is more rural than I would like, and there other trade offs too (schools not the best, affordability is spotty..) but you might like that area.

Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,533 times
2061 Grange, Highland Park, IL, 60035 - MLS ID#07207634 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2061-Grange_Highland-Park_IL_60035_1109046979 - broken link)

It'll be tricky, but I think it's doable as long as you don't mean fields-of-crops when you say "country girl."

Areas to look: Riverwoods, Lincolnshire, Green Oaks, Kildeer, Long Grove....

This isn't going to be easy, but more and more homes are coming on. You could get lucky.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,251 times
maybe mchenry or crystal lake, even those are kind of far away.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
How about Prospect Heights? it has a rural feel to it. Larger lots, no sidewalks and is about 30 minutes to Deerfield. Good schools, parks and library.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,114 times
Default Chicago North Shore and Northwest

Commuting North-South is generally easier than going West. The I94 Tollway is basically the western border of Deerfield (convenient)--it is currently being revamped to add a 4th lane so it should really help commutes after this summer, or next. In the past the evening rush hour was easier going North but this 4th lane should alleviate that issue.

Cities that are 5-15 miles to the N/NW. of DF are less expensive than going 5-15 miles South (and there in no "rural feel" at all). The trade-off is that if you want to visit Chicago often, you will have to allow an extra 25-55 minutes. Some cities to consider are Vernon Hills, Libertyville and Grayslake (w respective drives of ~ 10/15/25 miles from DF--and all are close enough to the Tollway ($1/day w Ipass) All have nice schools (Grayslake has 2 high schools--Grayslake North is 3 years new and the feeling around it is the most rural--but the Giant Gurnee Mills Mall (and 6-Flags Park) are no more than 15 minutes away). Vernon Hills has lots of close-by shopping including a nice regional mall--its H.S. was built this decade). Libertyville is between the 2 other cities and has an old-fashioned type of downtown.

For Chicago recreation in Chicago(everyday), you can get a nice commuter train in Libertyville/Lake Forest/Grayslake/DF. There is another train route (Mon-Fri only) thru V.Hills/Mundelein/Grayslake(yes, both routes) that also has a stop at O'Hare airport. Milwaukee w its nice Summerfest grounds is not much farther (time-wise) as going into Chicago. (Except for this summer as Wisconsin construction of I94 north of the IL border will be in effect (2 years?).
There are plenty of houses for rent now--probably best to check w a realtor. Deerfield and VHills get their water from Lake Michigan...probably Libertyville too. Grays Lake (North)/Gurnee...not sure.
I lived in Deerfield 1992-2005 and sold my house...2005-current: renting townhome in Vernon Hills.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 40,126 times
I work in Highland Park which is about 10 min from Deerfield. I communte on Hwy 41 daily to Highland Park and live in Zion. It is about a 45 min drive sometimes shorter or a bit longer depending on traffic. We are retiring and moving home to AL. We are in the Beach Park School District which is very nice. High School is Zion Benton, Middle School is Beach Park and Elementary is Newport for our zoning per our address. We have 3 boys, ages 16, 10 and 7. They have been extreamly happy in the area and will not want to go. We are close to everything where we live. Just built a new super Walmart by us as well. We are trying to sell so we can move ahead of my husband and get settled before the school year starts. We have a lovely home that is a cape cod model. So, there are 2 bedrooms and a full bath upstairs, main floor has master and 4th bedroom and 2 full baths. Downstairs we have a fully finished basement, office, utility and laundry room. House has a very long paved driveway and backs to a large open park owned by the park district. 2 car garage, shed, deck and hot tub with a fenced yard. I can give you more info. about the area or the house if your interested.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Zion to Deerfield is not that close-opposite ends of the county.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:35 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaskells View Post
I work in Highland Park which is about 10 min from Deerfield. I communte on Hwy 41 daily to Highland Park and live in Zion. It is about a 45 min drive sometimes shorter or a bit longer depending on traffic. We are retiring and moving home to AL. We are in the Beach Park School District which is very nice. High School is Zion Benton, Middle School is Beach Park and Elementary is Newport for our zoning per our address. We have 3 boys, ages 16, 10 and 7. They have been extreamly happy in the area and will not want to go. We are close to everything where we live. Just built a new super Walmart by us as well. We are trying to sell so we can move ahead of my husband and get settled before the school year starts. We have a lovely home that is a cape cod model. So, there are 2 bedrooms and a full bath upstairs, main floor has master and 4th bedroom and 2 full baths. Downstairs we have a fully finished basement, office, utility and laundry room. House has a very long paved driveway and backs to a large open park owned by the park district. 2 car garage, shed, deck and hot tub with a fenced yard. I can give you more info. about the area or the house if your interested.
Zion & Beach park is very far to Deerfield. Pick it only if its all you can afford. If you can afford $1800 you dont have to settle for Zion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs