Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM

7 posts, read 29,378 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this area? It's a new subdivision in Sugar Grove. They have a handful of houses built and only one is occupied. I saw a cute house for sale there but I'm afraid of buying in an area with nothing but a bunch of empty lots.

I do think Sugar Grove has the potential to take off sometime in the future. It's only about a half hour away from my job. The house is almost perfect for me.

It's so hard to decide on where to buy a new home. I'm having a hard time even picking out the neighborhood I want to live in. Do I want an awesome house in Sugar Grove or a crappy house in an established neighborhood? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for any input you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
We have lived in sugar grove for over 20 years and love it. the homes in prairie glen are really nice. the developer has been cautious about building extra homes and having them sit, that is why there are just a handful now. there are 3 homes that are occupied there. the new library is considered part of that development and will be opening in august. there office park on municipal drive is also part of that development. the second building that is going up will have a doctor's office in it. I don't really know what is in the first building. I know that the builders have stressed quality and that the development, as a whole, will provide a really nice prairie-open space with pedestrian paths throughout.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the info. The house is top quality. I love it.

I asked the developer a million questions when I went to take a look at it. She assured me that they were committed to the area and that they were in good financial shape.

You hear about so many builders going under lately. I'm concerned that might happen and that the plans for the development might change.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 AM

89 posts, read 261,920 times
I would assume prices in Sugar Grove right now are a steal. Sugar Grove was very hot a few years ago and just kind of disappeared. Even in this recession other outer burbs have still grown at a slower pace, while Sugar Grove basically stopped. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM

while home values have declined, it's not like you can get a $500 thousand dollar home here for $200 thous. you can find some townhomes just under 200, and some foreclosures around 250. however, for the most part, the newer homes are over 350-400. heck, my 20 year plus home is still worth over 300!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM

I noticed that the places in Sugar Grove are just sitting there also. I know a lot of it has to do with the economy but like you said, other places are still growing at a slower pace. What do you think the deal is with Sugar Grove? Do you think the pace will pick up there again?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:49 PM

89 posts, read 261,920 times
Don't know Tanner. From what I have heard Sugar Grove is very stringent and particular with builders. This could be a good or bad thing, depends on what viewpoint you hold. I drove by there a few days ago and it is in a time warp, that place has shut down in the last few years!

I still would prefer it over the other outer burbs due to its location off 88 and very good quality housing.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:51 AM

It is true that the regulations for building are stringent. Also, the village does not allow some of these developers to come in and build subdivisions and impose these SSA taxes. They make the developers pay their way. That is what the existing residents had asked. True, there are not any new subdivisions starting up right now, but the completed subdivisions are quite nice. There has been continued commercial buildings going up and a few new homes here and there. It is true that the access to I88 is the best! Also, there are some major road improvements going on, so that will be a big bonus too! depending on what you are looking for, Sugar Grove is a great place to live. We love it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM

38 posts, read 115,244 times
Default Stringent requirments

[quote=TennisDD;9360096]Sugar Grove is very stringent and particular with builders. This could be a good or bad thing, depends on what viewpoint.

That would be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs