Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM

88 posts, read 292,442 times

Advertisements

I'm a single black mother of a 5 year old in my mid 20s. Hoping to be employed in a hospital and continue my side job in a day spa. I was told Oak Park is the best place for us in Illinois. So I have a few questions.
1. I would like to be free of parking and gas prices so I would like to NOT have a car. Is this doable in Oak Park?
2. I am a single mother will I be an outcast in this area?
3. In the city some of the threads said neighborhoods are segragated. I would like my daughter to grow up in a mixed safe peaceful neighborhood. Is that likely?
4. I should have a decent salary I estimated $45000-$60000. Will this afford me some place nice in Oak Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There are lots of people in a similar situation. If you want 100% assurance that EVERYONE will be totally OK with you being a single mom you're kidding yourself that will happen anywhere, but odds are good that will be a non-issue in Oak Park.

You can live in Oak Park and rely on public transportation, but your opportunities to work at some of the hospitals and commute safely in bad weather and odd hours, as is often required, would be greater with a car. Parking is pretty easy in most parts of Oak Park.

Like most towns there are places that are more expensive and less. Oak Park is like many other towns where the nicer places are somewhat less diverse than average and the less expensive places have a higher percentage of minorities. There are a large number of "in-between" neighborhoods that are well balanced.

The salary range you anticipate should be plenty to rent a decent, not deluxe, place in pretty much any part of town. You might be able to buy a smaller condo in the less desirable part of town, depending on how much of a down payment you have, but that might not make as much sense as renting until you know more about your job / income...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Mostly agree with Chet, only disagree with his comment about parking. Parking is a continuous issue of contention in Oak Park. On-street parking is tightly (over)regulated and many apartments and condos do not include off-street parking. There are two hospitals within Oak Park and several in downtown Chicago within range of public transit, however, having a car will obviously give you a greater geographic area to conduct a job search.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Here is a link to good link to OP and some housing units. It is not a non-profit, non- commercial group that helps new residents settle in OP. Click on every link and every picture and you will learn a lot bout the town and the area. I do not live in OP, but I am quite sure there are several different modes of transportation to take you where you need to go. If you have children you may find you need a car for some things. Oak Park Regional Housing Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs