Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM

19 posts, read 30,302 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone! My husband and I are moving from Lincoln Park to Uptown next month. We got a place right by Weiss Memorial Hospital, near Leland and Clarendon. We looove the building and apartment, and we are going to rent a garage spot across the street in the 24-hour monitored hospital ramp. I have been reading a lot of information on Uptown lately, and am aware of many of the trouble spots in the area (i.e. Broadway and Sheridan). When my husband and I have driven/walked around the past couple weekends, we haven't thought it was too terrible. Yeah, a few spatterings of shady-looking figures here and there, but no one who bothered us. Does anyone live in the area near there? Specifically, how is it for those who walk to and from the Wilson el stop? Would myself (a 26 year old female) be ok running from my place to the beach and LSD trails in daytime hours? I am debating driving to and from work if I feel the area is too unsafe for me to be walking alone. I wouldn't walk around at night, have lived in the "cleaner" part of Uptown before (Buena Park), and am just looking for some opinions of those living in the area. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naleih View Post
...Specifically, how is it for those who walk to and from the Wilson el stop?...
Apparently you have not read that much on the topic. That being said,I would not recommend it at any part of the day really-especially for a young woman.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM

Great observation, Avengerfire. You're right. I haven't researched much on, specifically, the Wilson el stop. I have primarily been looking at threads regarding specific areas of Uptown to stay away from, like the Broadway/Sheridan area, south on Broadway by the U-Haul place, etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Also, thanks for the advice Avengerfire (forgot to include that in my last post.)
Any other opinions? Those from young women who commute to downtown from up there would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
...Any other opinions? Those from young women who commute to downtown from up there would be greatly appreciated.
Express buses like 135,136,144,145,146,148...

Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Cool. Thanks! That's what my husband and I used to take downtown when we lived on Marine Drive, too. We took el to Wilson when we went up for Ribfest last weekend, and it didn't seem awful....but granted, there were probably a lot of "outside" people in the area for the event too. Hopefully we will start seeing the repercussions of the $3 mil. in renovations we are supposed to be getting there???

What about running from my place (near Leland and Clarendon) to the lake and trails by the beach? The hospital seems super clean, and the park across from it didn't look super shady when I have been up there. Again, no running at night or anything, primarily morning or afternoons.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
As long as you can run fast.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone! My husband and I are moving from Lincoln Park to Uptown next month. We got a place right by Weiss Memorial Hospital, near Leland and Clarendon. We looove the building and apartment, and we are going to rent a garage spot across the street in the 24-hour monitored hospital ramp. I have been reading a lot of information on Uptown lately, and am aware of many of the trouble spots in the area (i.e. Broadway and Sheridan). When my husband and I have driven/walked around the past couple weekends, we haven't thought it was too terrible. Yeah, a few spatterings of shady-looking figures here and there, but no one who bothered us. Does anyone live in the area near there? Specifically, how is it for those who walk to and from the Wilson el stop? Would myself (a 26 year old female) be ok running from my place to the beach and LSD trails in daytime hours? I am debating driving to and from work if I feel the area is too unsafe for me to be walking alone. I wouldn't walk around at night, have lived in the "cleaner" part of Uptown before (Buena Park), and am just looking for some opinions of those living in the area. Thanks!!
This may be water under the bridge, but these are the sorts of questions you need to ask before committing to a place. And I hope your commitment isn't firm enough that you can't back out of it, because if someone where to tell me to name the worst patch on the North side, the Sheridan/Broadway corridor right at Wilson would be my second pick right behind the Cabrini Green rowhouses.

Granted, "worst patch on the North side" is still miles better than the worst of what the South and West sides have to offer. But you'll be in an area surrounded by flophouses, halfway houses, methadone clinics, other "social services" providers, and all the various creepy-crawly characters these places tend to attract -- and lots of 'em too. Throw in some good ol' fashioned gang activity with the occasional beating, stabbing and shooting to give the neighborhood some well-rounded character, and voila, you have the neighborhood you're about to move into.

And if you have to use the L, use the Lawrence stop instead. The Wilson stop is one of the flat-out nastiest in the entire L system, never mind on the North side. And while the Lawrence stop doesn't exactly have Tiffany lamps hanging from the lamp posts either, it's still a lot better than the Wilson stop. Yes, two blocks makes that much difference. Or you can avoid the whole question by taking one of the LSD rush-hour express buses downtown, if that's where you're looking to go.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This may be water under the bridge, but these are the sorts of questions you need to ask before committing to a place...
I have to agree. You said it before I could. There are many threads in the last few months and over the years that the same can be said about!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM

I did ask questions to those I know who live in the area, and those who have lived in the area in the recent past - it isn't that I am making an uninformed decision. My husband and I spent time in the area the last couple of weekends, and it did seem pretty seedy near the Wilson stop, which is why I posted the question on this forum. I am aware that it is shady around there, and was just seeking to get more information about the el stops near there, and any runners who have had experience (as my contacts who live/have lived up there are not runners). I plan on driving my car to and from work, and am going to rent a spot to keep it in a nearby ramp.

I also have checked data on crime using the Chicago Clearmap system, and surprisingly, Uptown ranks lower than both Lakeview and Logan Square in many searches, including the past 3 months, year, in both all crime as well as in violent crime (there are many sub categories). My husband and I spoke with some of the people who live in the building we are moving into (primarily married couples) prior to deciding to move as well, to see what their opinions were.

Thanks for the opinions, despite quickly making the assumption that I was not making an informed decision. I had already asked many who live in the area, and was just looking for a bit more information on this forum to help keep me safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago