Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 14,797 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
First of all thank you for the tons of useful information in these forums. I have been poring through the posts the last few days.

Here is my situation
I am relocating to Chicago from Columbus for work reasons.
My office is directly across the Union Station downtown.
For this reason I want to live near the Union station
I know zilch about Chicago. Therefore I am looking to rent for 6-12 months
before I buy a place.
I am used to having a commute of less than 10 mins in Columbus and I
realize that this won't be possible in Chicago unless I shell out a bunch of
moola for living in the city.

So, can you recommend a city closer to Union station with less than a 20 min commute to work in the city ?
Also can you recommend a good apartment complex?
I am looking for a 2 bedrrom and a 1 or 2 bath apartment and not looking to pay more than $1300-$1400/month.
The following are my basic needs: Washer and dryer hookups or in unit, Central heating and AC, at least 1000 Sq feet. Parking is a must as I cannot ditch my car for right now.

Thank You for your time.

Last edited by ktimesk; 08-02-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Why do you want to live in the suburbs? I would look into living off of the blue or brown line trains if I were you. What exactly are you looking for in a neighborhood?

Your budget should get you a pretty respectable place, even in the city. A place with parking may be a problem though, so you may want to consider ditching your car and living near downtown. I would just look on Craigslist for apartments.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM

9 posts, read 14,797 times
5Lakes,
Sorry. I forgot to edit my post. I posted this to the Chicago Suburbs forum and intended on editing this for the purpose of looking for a place in the city. Will edit it for the city.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktimesk View Post
...So, can you recommend a city closer to Union station with less than a 20 min commute to work in the city?...I am looking for a 2 bedrrom and a 1 or 2 bath apartment and not looking to pay more than $1300-$1400/month.
The following are my basic needs: Washer and dryer hookups or in unit, Central heating and AC, at least 1000 Sq feet. Parking is a must as I cannot ditch my car for right now...
This is going to be almost impossible to find and be 10-20 minutes away from your job.

Look at a site like this:

Chicago Apartments for Rent - Chicago, IL on ApartmentGuide.com

then post the addresses and get back to us.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
since you're right across from union station, look for anything along the Metra lines that end up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago