Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM

26 posts, read 47,273 times

Advertisements

Please help me chicago natives!

I might be re-locating to chicago for a job. I've checked google maps and I'd be working near south deering and calumet lake area. I've heard chicago is an expensive city so I'm looking for a 1BR apartment no more than $900 a month. Also I'm 24 years old white male, also a bachelor so I wouldn't mind a place with alot of stuff to do (bars, gyms, shopping, etc) I don't want no longer than a 30 minute commute to work, so what neighborhoods/areas you suggest I look in..?? Also I'd like it to be in a relatively safe neighborhood. Looking forward to ya replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
The one bedroom apartment for $900 a month is possible in areas with plenty of things to do. However, you will have to reassess your commute time. South Deering is on the FAR south side of Chicago, just north of the south burbs and NW Indiana. If you live in the South Loop, which has all of your amenities, you may have to go for a studio, but that is your closest option for lots of things to do. As you go further north into Lakeview, where your budget will allow you to live, your commute will skyrocket. The South Loop is south of downtown so you can avoid all that traffic.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:34 PM

What about Hyde Park, thats seems relatively close and not that bad of a commute to south deering..??

Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
^ Hyde Park is not a good place if you want "bars, gyms,and shopping" ^

Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
Hyde Park is not good at all for bars or shopping. However, it does have pretty decent transportation to the rest of the city if you're east of the Metra tracks, especially north of 55th. For a commute to South Deering, it's probably the best option, and it's within your price range. Hyde Park does have enough restaurants for spending the night in the neighborhood. But it's really not the best area for young singles, as it's more oriented toward the University of Chicago community and families.

If you want something a little closer to the action, I'd second the South Loop suggestion. It's best to stay within walking distance of the Roosevelt 'L' stop in that area, since it's safer and has easier access to the nightlife on the north side of the city.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 AM

38 posts, read 87,947 times
Hi Nate, I am a PGH transplant myself, whereabouts are you coming from in Pittsburgh? Be prepared for lots more traffic in Chicago, than in Pittsburgh. If you are willing to deal with a 45-minute to an hour commute then you could definitely live in a neighborhood that might offer what you're looking for, but dealing with the traffic here was one of the hardest adjustments for me.

I would recommend Logan Square or Avondale (sticking near Belmont/California) if you are willing to deal with a slightly longer commute. You can find the rent there that you are seeking. Hyde Park is pretty quiet - I think a 24-year old bachelor would find it a little boring.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm from the north boroughs area of PGH. I've heard traffic is terrible but I'd like to live someone where with public transit so I could save money when I could. How is the parking in those areas you mention, do apartments offer parking lots or garages..?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghNate11 View Post
...How is the parking in those areas you mention, do apartments offer parking lots or garages..?
Most offer neither unless they are high rises or other very large buildings. (If they do it is usually not free.)

A garage or parking lot is not needed in 75% of the city-there is plenty of street parking in most neighborhoods.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Check out Lakeview, around Belmont and Halsted. The commute could be a bit long, but it's the perfect location for the committed bachelor!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Check out Lakeview, around Belmont and Halsted. The commute could be a bit long, but it's the perfect location for the committed bachelor!
Don't listen to this guy. He's trying to be funny only it's not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago