Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,275 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I start working in Evanston, IL in Jan'10, a block away from Davis Stop and close to a CTA stop. I checked out some places Evanston which as expected were quite expensive and some in Rogers Park which according to a lot of people on this forum is the first level up from hell.

I would prefer to be close to the action while maintaing my privacy. So,

a) Studio/1 BR ~ 700 (800 max)
b) Good nightlife
c) I don't drive so groceries need to be within a mile or less.

Do you guys know which suburb/ part of the city I could move to? If Evanston has a good nightlife then I can settle for Evanston too.

Thanks a ton for taking time to respond to this gazillionth post on this subject. I have read through some other posts but amm quite overwhelmed already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Since the el and Metra both stop at Davis, I would suggest that you research apartments in Rogers Park or near the Ravenswood stop on the Metra line. That stop also serves buses from Skokie so that may be an option, too.

Remember, no neighborhood is going to be everything to everyone.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Nightlife is generally better a few stops further south, Belmont in Lakeview is sorta the "center of the universe" for nightlife and walkability. Unfortunately there are about 16 stops on local trains and travel times approach an hour even though is about 8 miles. Very slow...

Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Nightlife is generally better a few stops further south, Belmont in Lakeview is sorta the "center of the universe" for nightlife and walkability. Unfortunately there are about 16 stops on local trains and travel times approach an hour even though is about 8 miles. Very slow...
If he is working during regular business hours then he can take the purple line express train, which will greatly reduce the travel time.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,275 times
Thanks Manigault, Chet and Skip. Yeah, I work during business hours and trains take about 25 minutes. I understand that all my needs may not be met and each one's levels of safety vary.

The apts I found in Rogers Park are at
i) N.Sheridan and Lunt Ave just a block from the beach
ii) 1300 W Albion Ave close to Loyola stop.

I was sure I was going to take it but there are conflicting opinions about safety around this part of Lunt Street. Do you guys have any idea about this one?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 PM

400 posts, read 957,827 times
Rogers Park is in no way the first level up from hell.I live on Wayne right off of Morse
and its much better than 5 years ago.(still not perfect ofcourse, but the gangs are losing their chokehold
on the community slowly, Morse did undergo a drastic streetscape project his summer)

Safety of Lunt? Depends on where,I dont like the part from sheridan to glenwood
just cuz thats a long stretch of street withoutan intersection. Its okay though.Right around Glenwood is fine,
you have Heartland Cafe and the Commercial buildingsthere have been rehabbed and the four plus one
across from Heartland was condoized very nicely.

And the Four plus One at Reside on Morse which extends from Morse to Lunt just East of the El
was rennovated recently and really made the BIGGEST impact on the safety of the neighborhood.

That area on Albion is okay, Albion btw is the Archaic Name for England.
In General, yeah south of Pratt is safer, but more and more that is changing
and its becoming much less of a dividingline between good and bad then say5 or more years ago.

Right Now Lunt and Sheridan is okay but its a bummer that Ennui closed.
But I would have to say the area on Albion is safer right now. Not that Lunt
and Sheridan is terrible, but stillso many rundown humdrum Four plus Ones
on Sheridan that need to be fixed up around there.

So yeah also Morse isnt the Center of the Universe But its the Heart of Rogers Park
and there is enough going on Locally that you wouldnt feel that you have to
take the EL every night to have fun. The 400 theatre on Sheridan has a liquor License.
Glenwood is a very cool street, Dukes Bar has live music and so does the
Redline Tap. Morseland has Rap and stuff.Actone Cafe great gastropub.And Chuckies is a great bar to
occasionally see someone taking a shower in the building across the street.

Dont overlook the Jarvis El stop too, very cool area there that is very overlooked.
Check out Greenview and Jarvis intersection.

Okay Ive rambled on enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago