Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 9,952 times

Advertisements

"CTA president Richard Rodriguez announced Wednesday that the perennially under-funded transit agency will go out for bids soon to sell naming rights to just about anything it owns and for which others are willing to pay big money in exchange for the public exposure."

"That includes rail lines and stations, bus routes, retail concessions, special events - even the venerable CTA logo will be on the auction block for for-profit tweaking, Rodriguez said."

How about managing the budget money better Richie?

'What's it worth' to name the CTA? - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/11/whats-it-worth-to-name-the-cta.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Apple wants the North/Clybourn Red Line station to be called the Apple station or something similar.

If it's that or raising prices, I know what I'd pick.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Apple wants the North/Clybourn Red Line station to be called the Apple station or something similar.

If it's that or raising prices, I know what I'd pick.
Good luck when so many stations are named after companies that one can no longer keep tracked of which one is which.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
so long as they don't raise fares or cut back on service even more, I don't care what they call the stations. could care less if it's North/ Clybourn or "The Apple Station", so long as the North Ave bus doesn't stop running by 10pm and/or the fare gets hiked up to $4/ride

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgallery View Post
Good luck when so many stations are named after companies that one can no longer keep tracked of which one is which.
meh, I think the system is confusing anyways w/ so many stops name after streets. tell someone to get off at Damen and they'll be scratching their heads wondering if you meant the blue or pink line. tell someone to get off at the Western stop, they have about 5 different "Western" stops to choose from. might help to differentiate them a bit more. I know when I first moved here, I made similar mistakes

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
so long as they don't raise fares or cut back on service even more, I don't care what they call the stations. could care less if it's North/ Clybourn or "The Apple Station", so long as the North Ave bus doesn't stop running by 10pm and/or the fare gets hiked up to $4/ride
You actually think that the CTA selling off naming rights is going to stop fare increases?

LOL

Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgallery View Post
You actually think that the CTA selling off naming rights is going to stop fare increases?

LOL
nope, not really, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the name change, esp. if the company buying the naming rights spruces up the station a bit

Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
nope, not really, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the name change, esp. if the company buying the naming rights spruces up the station a bit
If you do not think the selling of station names and train line names will not stop service cuts and fare increases why in the world would you say its cool to begin with?

The spruce up will last 6-12 months tops after that, back to the urine soaked rathole. BTW a guy got shot right by the new station/Apple store lol.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-appl...,4371783.story

If the CTA was smart it would have required Apple to provide cleaning for the station as long as its name is on it. But alas, the CTA is filled with morons and thieves.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Of course the CTA will not do this professionally. But if they should, as mentioned above, it should be like the Adopt a Highway Program. In exchange for naming rights and the logo on a train station, the company should be responsible for maintaining the station.

I'm sure the CTA will provide 99 year leases. But they should make it 2 year leases so then they can reassess values.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Another step in the international corporate oligarchy butting into every goddam aspect of our lives. I'd rather pay higher fares than be subjected to this newest barrage of advertising.

While they're at it they ought to go back to the old names of the El lines; everybody knew damned well what the Lake St. El was and where it went; same for the Ravenswood, the Douglas Park, the Howard and so on. I still get these new names confused; I don't know why they thought the color scheme was a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago