Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You can become a temp by submitting your resume to any of the thousands of temp agencies online.

You can find out about the firefighter test by looking up your local fire department online.

You can apply for city positions by looking up the job section of the city's website, you guessed it, online.

Google is your friend.
Right. I guess I was being lazy.

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 33,346 times
One position I read on a news story somewhere was an Air Traffic Controller. No degree required, you get on the job training and pretty nice compensation. Might not be your cup of tea but google it and see if it matches what you're looking for.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,388,804 times
Not sure if this is still the case with the current economy, tip tax laws, airport fees, etc., but I remember reports that Skycaps at O'Hare were pulling in six figures w/tips. I also knew a few bellhops who did quite well at some of the better hotels in the city.

I once made so much money as a waitress at a fine French restaurant, I considering dropping out of college to do it full-time (my parents would have killed me!). I got the job because I knew French, fine food, and wines. Still consider it one of my all-time favorite jobs. It required no degree and paid a higher hourly rate than most of the business consulting jobs I later took.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,299,080 times
First you must be an American Citizen. You will go to school for an extended time, unless you have actual flight expeerience. You have a lot to learn. It is a high stress job. It is unlikely you will be trained near your home, it is even more unlikely that you will work anywhere near where you own a home. You may work 20-years before you ever workt in a tower like ORD or ATL - if you ever do. There are other good paying positions like Flight Service within in FAA, too.

If you are a party animal this is not for you, and FAA doesn't want youl ATCs are responsible for multi-million dollar planes and the passengers on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoratexn View Post
One position I read on a news story somewhere was an Air Traffic Controller. No degree required, you get on the job training and pretty nice compensation. Might not be your cup of tea but google it and see if it matches what you're looking for.

Last edited by linicx; 02-02-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,986 times
If you are white, then you can forget about getting a good paying job around here even if you have degree. You have to know someone or be someones kid,nephew,etc. You could be skilled to the hilt, have a masters degree and still not have a shot. Too many minorities in our country working for less and they dont complain about fair wages so why hire you for 30,40 per hr when you get the same work done by minority for 10? It isnt like it used to be, go to college after high school, get degree, get job and stay for 30 years. Your best bet for getting construction job is to start your own company and get on the grind stone advertising yourself. Everybody wants 40 per hr but no one wants to go through the process. Ask yourself this.... Are you truely worth that per hr? What do you bring to the table that hundreds or even thousands dont? And then ask this...Do I really want to do that for the rest of my life. If answer is no, then dont even bother, because your taking a job from someone that does! Good luck bud

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,183,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty29 View Post
If you are white, then you can forget about getting a good paying job around here even if you have degree. You have to know someone or be someones kid,nephew,etc. You could be skilled to the hilt, have a masters degree and still not have a shot. Too many minorities in our country working for less and they dont complain about fair wages so why hire you for 30,40 per hr when you get the same work done by minority for 10? It isnt like it used to be, go to college after high school, get degree, get job and stay for 30 years. Your best bet for getting construction job is to start your own company and get on the grind stone advertising yourself. Everybody wants 40 per hr but no one wants to go through the process. Ask yourself this.... Are you truely worth that per hr? What do you bring to the table that hundreds or even thousands dont? And then ask this...Do I really want to do that for the rest of my life. If answer is no, then dont even bother, because your taking a job from someone that does! Good luck bud
Don't be a d-bag. The only white people I know having trouble finding a job are whiny bi***es whose attitude trips them up. For example, someone displaying the attitude you seem to express here would make a lousy, unmotivated worker and be an HR nightmare.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM

537 posts, read 1,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Don't be a d-bag. The only white people I know having trouble finding a job are whiny bi***es whose attitude trips them up. For example, someone displaying the attitude you seem to express here would make a lousy, unmotivated worker and be an HR nightmare.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:14 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,263,332 times
I wonder what this dude was searching for when this thread came up and infuriated him enough to join for that one post.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM

483 posts, read 843,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I wonder what this dude was searching for when this thread came up and infuriated him enough to join for that one post.
"Construction" is my guess.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty29 View Post
If you are white, then you can forget about getting a good paying job around here even if you have degree. You have to know someone or be someones kid,nephew,etc.
Right. The 50,000+ white people in Lincoln Park averaging $83K per year and the 75,000+ white people in Lake View averaging $65K per year are all the kids and nephews of aldermen. Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: