Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

4,683 posts, read 5,010,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Honestly, with your suburban background and apparent lack of experience living in a real city, are you sure yo want to live *in* the city?

I mean, it's possible, but the fact that you don't like Wicker Park, which is one of the coolest, hippest neighborhoods in the country and that you want an apartment that's "part of a bigger complex" SCREAMS "suburbanite for life."

I mean no offense by this, but you either need:

1) nice suburban complex, perhaps near Schaumburg where you can commute to the Loop via Metra and easily get to O'Hare,

or

2) A HUGE attitude adjustment / reality alignment about what city living is really about, what the advantages are, the disadvantages are, and where your priorities really need to be if you want to learn to live in a real city.
I'm with you in spirit, but I don't think it makes sense to tell someone if she doesn't like Wicker Park, she needs to move to Schaumburg. There are plenty of places in the city that offer something approximating a suburban feel and/or amenities.

I do have a hunch that the OP would be happier east of the Kennedy, somewhere near the Brown Line. She could probably get everything on her list except for convenience to the airport, which would become a matter of taking a bus or cab to the Blue Line, or just a cab to the airport. No big deal. Actually, most of the people I know who fly a lot don't live near the Blue Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,016,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm with you in spirit, but I don't think it makes sense to tell someone if she doesn't like Wicker Park, she needs to move to Schaumburg. There are plenty of places in the city that offer something approximating a suburban feel and/or amenities.

I do have a hunch that the OP would be happier east of the Kennedy, somewhere near the Brown Line. She could probably get everything on her list except for convenience to the airport, which would become a matter of taking a bus or cab to the Blue Line, or just a cab to the airport. No big deal. Actually, most of the people I know who fly a lot don't live near the Blue Line.
If you need to travel as often as she does cabbing it to the airport is going to get expensive. Alot of this depends on the details of how she needs to travel. I wouldn't care to lug luggage on the CTA unless I packed extremely light (i.e. no more than a backpack or a brief case). I think she really does need an area where she can keep the car.

Her company may reimburse her for travel expenses like parking and the ease of caring stuff in the car is not to be overlooked. Plus wicker park isn’t that far from places like Lakeview and Lincoln park if she wants to socialize with a different crowd.

Ravenswood might be the only other area I can think of without major parking problems and near the brown line but that is not as convenient to O’Hare as buck town. Although with traffic on the kennedy being further north might not be quite as bad a trade off.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,197,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

She seemed scared or put off by Wicker Park. Given it's one of the spendier areas and has a better mix of old and new than many less expensive areas and is not that different from Lincoln Park anymore, I don't know what neighborhood in the city you think she could a) afford and would b) meet her other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: