Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

Recently attended a house party in humboldt park. I haven't really hung out at this area before so I didn't know it would be such a hassle just getting a taxi to stop. We walked to both division and north with no luck. Taxis would frequently pass by, many with no passengers, and ignore our signaling to them. Finally, after nearly giving up almost an hour we found a taxi to give us a ride home. The taxi driver said "some drivers just won't stop based on the area, even if you're white." I've never really heard of this or experienced it before. We are all in our early 20's, one white female, one hispanic female, and one white male. So basically, some drivers refuse to stop for people if they're coming from worse off neighborhoods. Is this kind of behavior considered normal practice for taxi drivers in the city of Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
There is a law against this at the city level. Cab drivers are required to serve the whole city. However do not expect to hail a cab anywhere outside of downtown and parts of the northside.In other parts where demand for cabs is less you call a cab.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza5 View Post
Is this kind of behavior considered normal practice for taxi drivers in the city of Chicago?
It was years ago when I drove a taxi; I assume it still is. There are some sensible reasons for avoiding fares in such neighborhoods.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Like one cabbie explained to me, "If you look like the kind of person the city tells me I have to pick up, I'm not picking you up." I presume the same applies to particular neighborhoods, though I don't understand why they wouldn't just flip their "available" light off when driving through areas they don't want to pick folks up.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza5 View Post
Is this kind of behavior considered normal practice for taxi drivers in the city of Chicago?
This is normal practice in any large city with lots of cabs and dangerous areas.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Like one cabbie explained to me, "If you look like the kind of person the city tells me I have to pick up, I'm not picking you up." I presume the same applies to particular neighborhoods, though I don't understand why they wouldn't just flip their "available" light off when driving through areas they don't want to pick folks up.
Because to be quite frank it is a major inconvenience to those who need to get into such areas. Before that law was passed I was unable to call a regular cab to my area and had to use unlicensed cabs. In addition almost every time my mom and I had to take a cab from the airport or train station back home(rough area) we just about had to beg. I once went through two cabs at union station trying to get one to take me home.

IMHO, I would report any cab that did not pick me up.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Before that law was passed I was unable to call a regular cab to my area and had to use unlicensed cabs.
Where and how does one find about unlicensed cabs?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Where and how does one find about unlicensed cabs?
Back in the day you called one that you learn about from a friend or got his business card. Because regular cabs refused service to the area the businesses sproted up.

Not everyone who lives in a ghetto is poor or unable to afford a cab and sometimes you do need one(i.e. Like can't drive and have a doctor's appointment and can't walk or if you are traveling with lots of luggage). There might still be some unlicensed cab services left but there is less need for them.

Now a days there is no need for one because of that law. You can call yellow cab or whoever and they will send someone out and if one refuses you can report them.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
IMHO, I would report any cab that did not pick me up.
Good idea.

Maybe that'll get em to do their %$#@ing job.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Well, between Division & North in Wicker Park I'm sure a cab will pick you up. Humbolt Park is more gangs, poor people, and blacks & latinos. I don't even trust kids from Humbolt Park anymore; one time I told kids I had extra bmx parts to sell and they followed me home. Maybe one of them started texting my home address for a robbery setup but got the number wrong... someone later tried to break into my neighbors house. I don't even want to play basketball with Humbolt Park kids anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: