Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Pathetic turnout and horrible candidates. Says a lot about the climate in Chicago. I feel bad for at least some who live there. But most probably deserve what they've gotten from the old regime and whats to come with this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Pathetic turnout and horrible candidates. Says a lot about the climate in Chicago. I feel bad for at least some who live there. But most probably deserve what they've gotten from the old regime and whats to come with this one
If you don't live in Chicago (or at the very least, the Chicago area) then your two cents is worth exactly $0.00

Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
If you don't live in Chicago (or at the very least, the Chicago area) then your two cents is worth exactly $0.00
No, his opinion counts because what happens in Chicago often affects the rest of the state.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
As usual, the rest of Illinois hides our head in shame.
And assuming you lived in the city (which you don't), who would you have voted for?

Carol Mosely Braun played the class card and the race card with indignity in an attempt to "consilidate the black vote". It backfired. She also had a major player in Daley's minority patronage machine as her campaign chief. She would have been Stroger III.

Gery Chico was really tightly connected to the Southwest Side Ed Burke Machine. That was an unholy alliance that would have been too powerful and corrupt to counteract in the weak council. Chico also seemed to be 100% in the pocket of certain public employee unions.

And del Valle seemed like a nice guy with some degree of independence, but could he have really run this city? And Steve-O, I know he was too liberal for you. He was too liberal for ME, and I'm far to the left of you.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, his opinion counts because what happens in Chicago often affects the rest of the state.
Except he appears to live in Connecticut.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
This tweet from @MayorEmanuel said it best:

Quote:
If you have a giant ****ing pile of money and a bunch of dumb ****s running against you, DREAMS DO COME TRUE.
Rahm Emanuel (MayorEmanuel) on Twitter

Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
And assuming you lived in the city (which you don't), who would you have voted for?

Carol Mosely Braun played the class card and the race card with indignity in an attempt to "consilidate the black vote". It backfired. She also had a major player in Daley's minority patronage machine as her campaign chief. She would have been Stroger III.

Gery Chico was really tightly connected to the Southwest Side Ed Burke Machine. That was an unholy alliance that would have been too powerful and corrupt to counteract in the weak council. Chico also seemed to be 100% in the pocket of certain public employee unions.

And del Valle seemed like a nice guy with some degree of independence, but could he have really run this city? And Steve-O, I know he was too liberal for you. He was too liberal for ME, and I'm far to the left of you.
I would like to pose this question to anyone who has come into this thread spewing their nonsense. Personally, I voted for Del Valle, mostly to send a progressive message even though I knew he didn't have a chance in hell. Generally, I agree with your assessment of the candidates, and having read Steve-O's political posts, I know there is no way in he would agreed with any of the candidates, about much of anything. In fact, Rahm seems to be the most conservative of the bunch, and most of the Republicans who live in Chicago that I know said they were going to vote for him (yes, there are indeed Republicans in Chicago).

So, all of you not from Chicago who are posting your little missives about the election of Rahm as mayor, who, out of the choices listed above, would you have liked to have seen elected instead, and why?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
I find it funny that at least half of the posts in this thread are by people that do not live in Chicago, including the almost entire first page. There must be some really bored people out there outside of Chicago.

As a bonus, here is the clueless quote of the day:

“It’s a big change in Chicago,” said Margaret O’Hara, who cast her vote for Emanuel in a high-rise near Lake Shore Drive. “It’s important that the next mayor understand the importance of keeping the Magnificent Mile nice, with art and flowers.”

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ction-day.html

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-23-2011 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
At least it gives some Chicago some "national" notoreity. Midwestern cities need that sort of thing. That's the main reason Emanuel won.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Well the hippies that exist in some areas of Chicago are going to be going nuts today, maybe even burning a few cars or two Los Angeles style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: