Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times

Advertisements

My friend in NZ is writing a book. I have been able to answer most of her questions, but I'm stumped on these. I'd love some help.

1. After Capone and before the suburbs, what neighborhood(s) in the city did the mob live in? I never did know this answer.

2. Navy Pier. When was the Ferris wheel added?. Is there a highrise or condo west of Navy Pier that allows a tenant to look over the Ferris wheel and see the lake? How far is Navy Pier from the Loop?

I keep thinking Navy Pier is a few blocks North of the Loop.

3. Lake Shore Drive. Do locals still call it the outer drive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
3. For the most part no. The term outer drive could refer to the outermost(southbound) lane of it sometimes.

2. Don't know the exact year but it was the 1990ies.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM

279 posts, read 760,176 times
2. There are many highrise condos and apartment buildings west of Navy Pier from which it is possible to see Navy Pier and the Ferris Wheel in Streeterville and the Lakeshore East areas. The building you're probably thinking of that is immediately west of Navy Pier is Lake Point Tower. It is the only condo highrise building that is east of Lakeshore Drive.
Navy Pier is a bit north and east of the Loop, more east than north really. It's probably about a mile and a half or so away from State & Madison in the Loop.

3. Not really, we usually refer to it as Lake Shore Drive, LSD, or The Drive. If anything, there is a section from north of Navy Pier until Lincoln Park where there is both an inner and an outer Lake Shore Drive, so some people may say "outer drive" here when specifically referring to the outer vs the inner portion of Lake Shore Drive along that stretch.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My friend in NZ is writing a book. I have been able to answer most of her questions, but I'm stumped on these. I'd love some help.

1. After Capone and before the suburbs, what neighborhood(s) in the city did the mob live in? I never did know this answer.

2. Navy Pier. When was the Ferris wheel added?. Is there a highrise or condo west of Navy Pier that allows a tenant to look over the Ferris wheel and see the lake? How far is Navy Pier from the Loop?

Thanks!
1) Not entirely sure.

2) July, 1995. I'm assuming you're thinking of Lake Pointe Towers, which is the closest building to the pier. Navy Pier is around 1 mile from Michigan and Wacker, and about 1.5 miles from State/Madison. As was stated, the pier is more east than north from the loop (well, unless you're in the very south part of the loop).

3) As was said before, it's normally just LSD or Lakeshore Drive or the Drive. Most people will know what you mean when you say outer drive, but that's more relevant in select areas to the north of downtown.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
I usually only use the term Inner Drive when speaking about Inner Lake Shore Drive. When I speak of Outer Lake Shore Drive, I say Lake Shore Drive unless both portions are relevant to the conversation.

Also, you might want to take note that many south siders are not even aware there is an Inner Lake Shore Drive since it runs only on the north side of town.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Well, probably in the First Ward of Fred Roti, our most connected convicted alderman. That is, Taylor street and its environs before UIC (Then known as Circle) started expanding and knocking down homes.

Quote:

Navy Pier is certainly in walking distance from the Loop. The condos west of it began with Lake Point Tower, famed as the home of Sammy Sosa, but also Outer Drive East, on the New East Side. These two buildings were built before the 's' curve was straightened out and were built in the seventies.

Quote:
Well, no one refers to it as 'LSD'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Also, you might want to take note that many south siders are not even aware there is an Inner Lake Shore Drive since it runs only on the north side of town.
Wrong! South siders are familiar with and do patronize the north. It is north siders who 'never go south of Marshall Fields!'

Old 03-23-2011, 01:40 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, no one refers to it as 'LSD'.
I know people who refer to it as LSD, on occasion. I do, too, not usually, but sometimes.

Well there ain't no road just like it, anywhere I've found,Runnin' south on Lake Shore Drive, headin' into town.Just slippin' on by on L.S.D., Friday night trouble bound.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
I know people who refer to it as LSD, on occasion. I do, too, not usually, but sometimes.

Well there ain't no road just like it, anywhere I've found,Runnin' south on Lake Shore Drive, headin' into town.Just slippin' on by on L.S.D., Friday night trouble bound.
I do once in awhile. Most of the time it is when writing though.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^Yeah I feel like I write it all the time, but it's actually more syllables to say LSD than Lake Shore. Same with the Central West End in St. Louis. I write CWE all the time, but I never it say it out loud. Though I am guilty of occasionally saying C-dub. That's just douche-y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: