Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 59,483 times

Advertisements

I'm into the indie rock scene so a Wicker Park, Bucktown move I know is already a good idea. I love the area.

Now, I will be working in an office environment , in the call-center Customer Service field hopefully. How are jobs in that scene?

I assume I will have to work downtown?

What's the drive from that area, to an office building downtown?

I really don't want a drive longer than 30-40 minutes.

Is that unreasonable for the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Take the train. You don't want to park downtown unless you get it as a job perk. Unless it's part of your package, it's 15-35 bucks a day.

Get a place near the blue line and take the train.

There are plenty of jobs in that field. If you can't find a direct gig, go through a temp service. Lakeshore Staffing and North Bridge Staffing have both done right by me.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Unless you have $250-300 a month to spend on parking downtown, you won't be driving to your office. You'll be taking the Blue Line train -- approximately 15 minutes to downtown from the southern portion of Wicker Park and approximately 25 minutes from the northern end of Bucktown -- provided you can actually board the train. Wicker Park and Bucktown are far enough down the line that you may have to let a train or two pass before there is enough room to board. Both travel times should drop by about 7 minutes once they finish repairs on the subway portion of the Blue Line tracks later this year. Add another 10 minutes of bus time to get to the Blue Line if you live in the eastern portion of Bucktown or the western portion of Wicker Park.

Last edited by Drover; 07-29-2007 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 PM

17 posts, read 59,483 times
What's the best way to find direct Customer Service jobs downtown?

Craigslist and all the other sites are giving me A LOT of junk , all 30-60 minutes away.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
My first job out of college was as a CSR downtown. It was all incoming (no sales) and I made a solid income with full benefits.

I got it, as I said before, through a staffing agency. They gave me part time gigs until they landed me a permanent spot.

Feel free to try Monster and CareerBuilder, but staffing agencies can be a good thing.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 85,507 times
The Chicago Tribune has a massive call center for things like subscriptions, classified sales, etc. I worked there for about 4 yrs in the Marketing department - not the most glamourous company, but you get to stroll the beautiful Michigan Ave everyday and you don't have to deal with the drudgery of downtown Loop gigs. While I worked there, I lived in Wicker, just off the Division Stop. Such an easy commute but like previously stated, you may let a train go by in the AM. Not so bad at Division since you're underground and protected from the heat/cold/rain/etc.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 PM

96 posts, read 647,099 times
like everyone else said: driving is out of the question. By taking the train, you could probably get there faster and way cheaper. Welcome to the Wicker Park/Bucktown area

Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
You might want to consider a reverse commute to the O'Hare, Rosemont, or Cumberland areas; it seems that more back offices are out there (cheaper rents) than downtown. It's a slow but sure train ride the other way from WP/BT.

Oh, and I budget 30 minutes to get downtown from Damen, via Blue Line, #56 Milwaukee bus, or bicycle. Heck, I've walked home in not much over an hour.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 PM

77 posts, read 300,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
You might want to consider a reverse commute to the O'Hare, Rosemont, or Cumberland areas; it seems that more back offices are out there (cheaper rents) than downtown. It's a slow but sure train ride the other way from WP/BT.

Oh, and I budget 30 minutes to get downtown from Damen, via Blue Line, #56 Milwaukee bus, or bicycle. Heck, I've walked home in not much over an hour.
Rev commute is the way to go. I take the Metra out West from BT/WP everyday and it takes about 30 min vs 1 hr driving.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM

42 posts, read 241,613 times
how much do call centers pay in chicago? Enough to live in WP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: