Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM

51 posts, read 122,519 times

Advertisements

Hey there folks,

Coming in to town in June for a conference then taking in Cubs v. Yankees and really excited about it. Just wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of a brewery or two you really enjoy other than Goose Island. I've had it before and although I like it, I'd like to try something a little more local. We're coming from Portland, OR so I'll just throw it out there - I'm an IPA lover.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 05:06 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,110,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLev555 View Post
Hey there folks,

Coming in to town in June for a conference then taking in Cubs v. Yankees and really excited about it. Just wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of a brewery or two you really enjoy other than Goose Island. I've had it before and although I like it, I'd like to try something a little more local. We're coming from Portland, OR so I'll just throw it out there - I'm an IPA lover.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks very much!
I have heard alot of good comments about this brew pub
not in Chicago but about 40 mins away
3floyds

Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,220,382 times
Goose Island, Haymarket, Revolution, and Piece are the only places in the city that both brew and serve on premise. Metropolitan and Half Acre are breweries that do tours, but don't have brewpubs. Finch's recently opened and they probably do tours as well, but I'm not sure. Metropolitan is in the same building as Koval Distillery and you may be able to arrange back to back tours of both places. Outside the city there are Three Floyd's, Bell's, and Two Brothers. All are good, but require a car to get to.

There are loads of great bars that have a great selection of regional beers - Quencher's, Hopleaf, and Map Room are among the best. If you're looking for hoppy definitely try Bell's 2-hearted (I'm having one now) and 3 Floyd's Alpha King. There are also some Goose Island beers that you might not be able to get in Portland - Bourbon County Stout, Matilda, Pere Jacques, Sofie, Demolition and Fleur. They're a lot better than their classic styles and are worth trying. There are also a number of restaurants that take beer very seriously - Longman & Eagle, Publican, and The Brisol are my favorites.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 PM

51 posts, read 122,519 times
Attrill - a wealth of information, thank you much. Probably won't have time to get to all those places but will look into the suggestions. Also wasn't looking for tours, but rather a brewpub that serves their own. There's something about appreciating a pint of the homeade stuff at the brewery.

Thanks again, I think you've pretty much covered my interests perfectly.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,425,946 times
Two Brothers & Three Floyd's sound like great choices if you can make it out to those areas (Warrenville, IL & Munster, IN respectively). Bell's is in Kalamazoo, MI so that is probably a bit of a stretch in terms of time & distance. Here's one that I heard opened up recently in the North Shore suburb of Lake Bluff. It's literally a block from their Metra train station (1 hour train ride from downtown Chicago):

Lake Bluff Brewing Company

Wherever you decide to go, best of luck & have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLev555 View Post
Attrill - a wealth of information, thank you much. Probably won't have time to get to all those places but will look into the suggestions. Also wasn't looking for tours, but rather a brewpub that serves their own. There's something about appreciating a pint of the homeade stuff at the brewery.

Thanks again, I think you've pretty much covered my interests perfectly.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 AM

142 posts, read 432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Two Brothers & Three Floyd's sound like great choices if you can make it out to those areas (Warrenville, IL & Munster, IN respectively).
My boyfriend has been to both of these and said the tours were awesome at both places. Beer is good from both!

I've toured Metropolitan and Half Acre. I thought the tour was better at Metropolitan, but the beer was better at Half Acre.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,263,332 times
Half Acre is good stuff. You can try a lot of their stuff next door at the Wild Goose.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM

312 posts, read 713,899 times
Nothing beats 3 Floyds's Dreadnaught. For a brewery in the city, I highly recommend Revolution.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,716,985 times
If you like IPA's, Half Acre should be high on your list. Daisy Cutter is amazing.

Daisy Cutter Pale Ale - Half Acre Beer Company - Chicago, IL - BeerAdvocate

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,220,382 times
Revolution is definitely worth a visit, as is the Goose Island brew pub on Clybourn (the Wrigley location is decent, but the one on Clybourn is better). If you're going out for a beer before/after the Cubs game your best bet will be The Gingerman at 3740 N Clark St. It's a lot more relaxed than the sports bars right by Wrigley, and they have a good selection of local and international beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago