Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,951 times

Advertisements

I will be in Chicago Memorial Day weekend which (if the weather is nice) will bring lots of people to the city beaches. I'm staying downtown but I know the best beaches are on the northside. Which ones in particular are your favorites and why? Do any have patio restaurants where you can eat lunch on the beach? Finally, which are the best "party" beaches Memorial Day weekend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Check the historic data: Climate Data for Chicago on Memorial Day

50 degree air temp or even something in the low 70s with water temps barely half that are hardly going to make for a "party" scene.
Climate Data for Chicago on Memorial Day
Head to Miami for more fun...

Eat at North Ave: Castaways - North Avenue Beach Bar and Grill - Chicago, IL

Old 05-09-2011, 10:39 PM

143 posts, read 440,564 times
hollywood beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
I will be in Chicago Memorial Day weekend which (if the weather is nice) will bring lots of people to the city beaches. I'm staying downtown but I know the best beaches are on the northside. Which ones in particular are your favorites and why? Do any have patio restaurants where you can eat lunch on the beach? Finally, which are the best "party" beaches Memorial Day weekend?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
I don't necessarily concur that the best beaches are on the north side. The beaches on the south side are just as nice and usually less crowded.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,670 times
I haven't been to the south side beaches so I can't really comment on those. North Ave beach is the most popular beach on the near north side. Castaways is an outdoor restaurant/bar on the beach that is pretty party-oriented in the summer. It also gets *packed* on holidays.

Oak Street beach is a bit lower key and it's really close to downtown which makes for some pretty cool views of the city when you are in the water. They also have the Oak Street Beachstro which is basically a patio restaurant right on the beach.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
I agree with Jandur's comments here. I'd also give an honorable mention to Illinois Street beach which is basically just south of Oak Street Beach. Illinois Street beach is also right by Navy Pier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I haven't been to the south side beaches so I can't really comment on those. North Ave beach is the most popular beach on the near north side. Castaways is an outdoor restaurant/bar on the beach that is pretty party-oriented in the summer. It also gets *packed* on holidays.

Oak Street beach is a bit lower key and it's really close to downtown which makes for some pretty cool views of the city when you are in the water. They also have the Oak Street Beachstro which is basically a patio restaurant right on the beach.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,307 times
As one of the above posters mentioned, Hollywood Beach is absolutely a big party beach. No restaurant however.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 AM

467 posts, read 1,891,711 times
North Avenue Beach is bar-none the big party beach. In addition to beachgoers, you'll likely see people partying out on boats that are tied together. Various concessions are available at the boathouse, which also has a restaurant on its roof.

Castaways - North Avenue Beach Bar and Grill - Chicago, IL

Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 AM

45 posts, read 105,464 times
I have a soft spot for the Southside beaches, because they tend to be less crowded but are more family-oriented. The party beaches will definitely be the northside beaches, like Hollywood, North, and even Oak.

We're at the time of year where we're all itching to get outside. I would say you'll find people there having fun even if it's not in the 70s.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,259,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
So don't buy property in the 606xx and don't go to any beaches in May...gotcha
lol. I will subscribe to your newsletter of pertinent clif-notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago