Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,180 times

Advertisements

If I am a 27 year old single male, should I buy an one bedroom condo in Lincoln Park? I plan on living in the condo until I have a need to buy a bigger place which is when I get married. When the time comes, I am thinking about reassessing my situation then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Would you like to purchase the condo?

If you do I highly advise you go forth with the purchase. If you're not so sure you should maybe ask the advice of friends and family.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM

255 posts, read 583,566 times
I think most people are better off renting. If you have problems with the place, you can always move when your lease is up. With a condo, you are subject to all of the whims of the condo association, and you are stuck with the place until you can sell it, which may be at a profit, or a loss. Then there are property taxes, special assessments, transfer fees, homeowners association fees, all kinds of stuff that will drive up the costs of buying a condo vs. renting.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM

89 posts, read 264,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I think most people are better off renting. If you have problems with the place, you can always move when your lease is up. With a condo, you aresubject to all of the whims of the condo association, and you are stuck with the place until you can sell it, which may be at a profit, or a loss. Then there are property taxes, special assessments, transfer fees, homeowners association fees, all kinds of stuff that will drive up the costs of buying a condo vs. renting.
I don't think most people are necessarily better off renting. Homeownership is not luxury for the married only. It IS a decision that needs to be thoroughly researched and thought out, though.

You research the condo association beforehand and don't purchase a unit in an unstable one. Special assessments are not an inevitable thing. As long as the association has sufficient reserves, a proper budget, and continues collecting dues from each owner, there will not be a special assessment.

Yes, there are transfer taxes and closing costs on both the buy and sell side. You should speak to a lender and a real estate broker to determine (roughly) what these will be. You do need to own the property for a certain amount of time to offset these costs, but at your price point that amount of time will likely be very possible.

For a 1-bedroom in Lincoln Park, owning will almost always be cheaper than renting. Be realistic about your goals, though. Do you see yourself married and wanting a bigger place in 2-3 years (and hate the idea of keeping your 1-bed as an income property)? You probably need to wait until you are ready to purchase that bigger place. If you can see yourself in the 1-bed for 4-5+ years, now is probably a great time to buy.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Why are you posting here? There are own vs rent calculators everywhere on the internet. Your taxes, interest, and fees will be more than your rent in the city. And your supposed to stay In A HOUSE for at least 5 years if you buy one. Probably longer for a condo in chicago.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne C M View Post
I don't think most people are necessarily better off renting. Homeownership is not luxury for the married only. It IS a decision that needs to be thoroughly researched and thought out, though.

You research the condo association beforehand and don't purchase a unit in an unstable one. Special assessments are not an inevitable thing. As long as the association has sufficient reserves, a proper budget, and continues collecting dues from each owner, there will not be a special assessment.

Yes, there are transfer taxes and closing costs on both the buy and sell side. You should speak to a lender and a real estate broker to determine (roughly) what these will be. You do need to own the property for a certain amount of time to offset these costs, but at your price point that amount of time will likely be very possible.

For a 1-bedroom in Lincoln Park, owning will almost always be cheaper than renting. Be realistic about your goals, though. Do you see yourself married and wanting a bigger place in 2-3 years (and hate the idea of keeping your 1-bed as an income property)? You probably need to wait until you are ready to purchase that bigger place. If you can see yourself in the 1-bed for 4-5+ years, now is probably a great time to buy.

Anne,

Thank you for your useful and rational response.

I do not see myself getting married in the next 2-3 years unless I happen to find the woman of my dreams, rapidly fall in love with her, and the feelings are mutual. I do not see myself getting married until I have dated someone very seriously for at least 2-5 consecutive years including 1-3 years of cohabitation. I am currently not even seeing anyone seriously.

I also do not see myself needing a bigger place unless I am getting married and plan on starting a family. When the time comes, I have no problems keeping my condo as a rental property.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM

235 posts, read 287,612 times
Make sure the condo declarations don't prohibit renting it. You don't want to find 5 years down the road you can't rent it out.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Best buy vs rent calculator : http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/b...ator.html?_r=0

You can input all the costs and then adjust the timeline to see if this will be a money loser or break-even. You won't be able to come out "ahead" unless you have some very long timeline...

It needs to run on a browser with Flash.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
Don't buy unless you plan on staying for a while or if you are okay with the strong potential of losing some cash.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Try to buy a 3 flat then rent the other two floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: