Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM

32 posts, read 62,403 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some folks who may have similar experience as what I had here. Thanks.

I am a first time home buyer and bought a property 5 months ago. I doubt I may be somehow cheated by my realtor.

During the bidding process (before I bought this property), our real estate agent & I have a secret deal that he would pay $700 from his pocket in order to increase the asking price (important note: he said it on phone only, we mutually agreed without making any signed agreement). He agreed that he will pay back this amount by cash/check after I bought this property. This is a cash deal.

After a week of the closing date, I asked him in person about the $700, he said he would give me back by check and mail back to me few months later.

5 months have been past, I still haven't received any check from him. Another thing is, I found it difficult to reach him again by email after our last met - Unlike before the closing date, he didn't reply my email anymore if I asked for some minor help/ question. I called him these 2 days for other issues about my property, he just said he was busy and would get back to me, but he didn't call me back. Until now we both didn't mention anything about the $700.

My worry is, will he cheat me and never give me back the money? I am planning to send an email to him agian, or call him ( will do the audio recording during our conversation). IF he gives me promise again over the phone or email (I will have evidence then), but I still can't get the money, do you think I can take legal action? OR if you were me, what would you do before you contact the realtor again? Pls advise, many many thanks!

Last edited by Starrynight12; 06-09-2011 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 AM

61 posts, read 72,025 times
What you said is confusing.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:21 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight12 View Post
I am looking for some folks who may have similar experience as what I had here. Thanks.

I am a first time home buyer and bought a property 5 months ago. I doubt I may be somehow cheated by my realtor.

During the bidding process (before I bought this property), our real estate agent & I have a secret deal that he would pay $700 from his pocket in order to increase the asking price (important note: he said it on phone only, we mutually agreed without making any signed agreement). He agreed that he will pay back this amount by cash/check after I bought this property. This is a cash deal.

After a week of the closing date, I asked him in person about the $700, he said he would give me back by check and mail back to me few months later.

5 months have been past, I still haven't received any check from him. Another thing is, I found it difficult to reach him again by email after our last met - Unlike before the closing date, he didn't reply my email anymore if I asked for some minor help/ question. I called him these 2 days for other issues about my property, he just said he was busy and would get back to me, but he didn't call me back. Until now we both didn't mention anything about the $700.

My worry is, will he cheat me and never give me back the money? I am planning to send an email to him agian, or call him ( will do the audio recording during our conversation). IF he gives me promise again over the phone or email (I will have evidence then), but I still can't get the money, do you think I can take legal action? OR if you were me, what would you do before you contact the realtor again? Pls advise, many many thanks!
wow you certainly would not think a court would do you or him any favors
albeit he or she should no better than to commit fraud and risk losing his or her realtors license and possibly prison time depending on what other dirt this scum bag has done.

both parties invoved should no way better than to commit this crime

Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I hate to sound dismissive but for starters we are talking about $700, is that even one month's mortgage? How much is that really worth?

Secondly, you cannot record telephone conversations without the other parties knowledge. That is a crime. Trying to use that as "evidence" would wind up getting you at least a fine (probaby much more than $700).

What kind of goofy arrangement did you and your real estate agent think you have? Did this $700 show up in any of the MANY documents that you signed at closing???

Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
So you engaged in a (possibly criminal, definitely unethical) price manipulation conspiracy with your agent and now you're crying that you got burned when playing with fire.

My advice: serves you right.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM

The $ 700 didn't show up in any documents. I know it's difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I hate to sound dismissive but for starters we are talking about $700, is that even one month's mortgage? How much is that really worth?

Secondly, you cannot record telephone conversations without the other parties knowledge. That is a crime. Trying to use that as "evidence" would wind up getting you at least a fine (probaby much more than $700).

What kind of goofy arrangement did you and your real estate agent think you have? Did this $700 show up in any of the MANY documents that you signed at closing???

Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 AM

I have said I am a first time home buyer and I think I trust the realtor too much without asking for other ppl's opinions before. I would certainly deal in a different way if I had experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
So you engaged in a (possibly criminal, definitely unethical) price manipulation conspiracy with your agent and now you're crying that you got burned when playing with fire.

My advice: serves you right.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Quote:
I have said I am a first time home buyer and I think I trust the realtor too much without asking for other ppl's opinions before. I would certainly deal in a different way if I had experience.
Please dont tell me your throwing that card on the table
come on your old enought and responsible enough to buy a home
but you do not know the difference between right and wrong

So your upset your not getting your 700 bucks

goodness i have heard it all
well now you have the experience-

chalk it up as a loss
i think it would be hilarious if a judge got a hold of this case and laughed and threw the book at both of you

one for being criminal
the other for just being----- well not thinking things out
I think the judge and even an attorney would laugh at this whole situation
not being educated enough

Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:

Eat the $700 and think twice next time you set out to cheat somebody.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I seriously don't get how $700 would be enough for anyone to go to such great lengths.

Home ownership is going to be a real eye opener for you. Actually, I'm a handyman. Need any work done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago