Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM

69 posts, read 147,414 times

Advertisements

Say, I've never been to Navy Pier before. Is it worth the trip? I assume that it's pretty easy to catch a cab there...correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM

258 posts, read 760,643 times
Well, it's a classic boardwalk. The main things to do are to eat overpriced junk and watch other tourists. There are some kids amusement rides on top, boat rides in the middle, and an overpriced beer garden out at the far end. Also, a big display of stained glass windows. Very easy to get a cab.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk1 View Post
Say, I've never been to Navy Pier before. Is it worth the trip? I assume that it's pretty easy to catch a cab there...correct?
It depends where you are coming from. It is quite accessible by bus or bike, or even walking! I like the elegant vistas on the lake for the pier's free admission. Plus, you can go in North Pier on the way.

Lots to like out there.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM

44 posts, read 150,564 times
I love the I-MAX theater but i agree everything at the navy pier is over priced

Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk1 View Post
Locals will tell you not to bother. That's because the things that appeal to tourists often don't appeal to locals.

IMO Navy Pier is worth a trip at least once. It's basically a giant enclosed boardwalk (though you can walk along the outside too, weather permitting). It has nick-nack shops and souvienir shops and a few touristy restaurants and the like. There's also a children's museum, a stained glass museum, a Shakespeare theater, and an IMAX theater. Then of course there's the big ol' ferris wheel. I've even seen a couple rock concerts there.

Yes you can take a cab to Navy Pier quite easily, and just as easily catch a cab from Navy Pier back to your hotel or wherever. In fact cabbing it is probably cheaper than parking there.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,775 times
It's fine. What IS worth it is a saiboat ride off the pier. Try the Tall Ship Windy with a bottle of wine. Boom! I think some of the Wendella boats go out into the lake as well. But the sailboat is really beautiful.

Chicago's Number one Sailing Company - Tall Ship Adventures of Chicago

If you can catch a Grant Park Orchestra concert at Millennium Park, that is a wonderful thing to do as well. Again, you may bring a bottle of wine.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 PM

308 posts, read 757,912 times
If you'll be in the city, a trip to Navy Pier isn't a bad idea. Is food and beer expensive? Yeah, and so is everywhere else in the city.

Go on a Wednesday or Saturday night and they have fireworks (I believe 9:30 PM on Wednesday and 10:15 PM on Saturday). They have live bands in their beer garden basically every day. Some of the boat rides are quite enjoyable. And I really enjoy riding my bike there and just walking around and enjoy being outside by the lake.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM

308 posts, read 757,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvainsylvain View Post
The whole city is not filled with overpriced food and drinks. If you think it is, you must not ever venture out of the area bordered by Ashland,Irving Park,Roosevelt and the lake.

My oh my...I apologize. Excuse me for my response that I didn't think out fully before I sent it. Now I know why I stopped coming on here for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago