Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM

25 posts, read 41,924 times

Advertisements

Other than the Medical District Apartment building, does anyone know of any other safe apartment complex in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 32,801 times
Your options for apartment complexes in the area you defined are quite limited. In fact, Medical District is one of the only ones that comes to mind, and it seems profoundly overpriced to me. It's basically an option for people who can't go apartment hunting before moving and for hospital residents who are on call a lot and like the convienience. There is also some kind of complex around the 800 block of S. Racine, but i don't know much about it--a cluster of really ugly rowhouse looking things with what seems like ample parking. In addition, there are some apartment complexes in University Village near Roosevelt and Halsted that are slightly outside of the area you mention. In Little Italy, a two flat or small walk-up style apartment are far better bets. If you are concerned about safety, confine yourself to apartments East of Ashland and North of Roosevelt. East campus seems a bit safer than west, though both are fairly safe by Chicago standards. Taylor has a huge police presence, but may be too loud to live on comfortably due to the drunk college students.

Last edited by BuckMulligan; 10-11-2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
I have never met anyone that was happy they chose the medical district apartments. They are fine for what they are, but as Buck stated, very overpriced for what they are. If you do choose to go that route I would go for the shortest lease possible. I live just west of UIC which is on the edge of good neighborhood/ bad neighborhood and it is still fine. If you wanted complex living you could also check out the greektown area

Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
craigslist

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMulligan View Post
In Little Italy, a two flat or small walk-up style apartment are far better bets.
I second that suggestion. As it so happens, I was just in Little Italy this afternoon, and I took a walk around some of those residential side streets off Taylor Street. Beautiful area... doesn't look much different from Lincoln Park as far as residential areas go, IMHO.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 PM

319 posts, read 604,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychStudent22 View Post
Other than the Medical District Apartment building, does anyone know of any other safe apartment complex in the area?
I live in "Tri-taylor" which is a 10 minute walk from Rush. This is the area directly west of Stroger/VA and is actually pretty nice too. There's certainly still crime in this neck of the woods, and I have heard of muggings very late, but all in all it's not a bad area. There's some smaller apartment buildings in the area and some are house room rentals as well. It's also pretty quiet cause all the roads in the area are cul-de-sac-cked off. Very little through traffic makes it a quiet little area.

Good luck on your search!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 PM

211 posts, read 395,000 times
I don't know who would still say, "Little Italy" other than a restaurant owner. Anybody did an "Italian head count" lately? I counted about three, last time around there. They were senior citizens.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
I don't know who would still say, "Little Italy" other than a restaurant owner. Anybody did an "Italian head count" lately? I counted about three, last time around there. They were senior citizens.
Everyone I knew (and I grew up on the West Side) called the neighborhood "Taylor St". Including my father who goes back to the 1920s. I never heard the area referred to as Little Italy until fairly recently. And I used to go down there quite a bit in the 1960s, I went out with a girl from Carpenter and Polk among other things. When I went to Iggy's I liked to stop at DiLeo's bakery at Taylor and May and get a slab of sheet pizza for breakfast, they cut a big square off with scissors.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM

15 posts, read 32,801 times
Quote:
I second this assesment. You will occasionally see some old Italians in Conte di Savoia or the adjacent bocce courts, but I think they pipe those guys in for local color. There is also a tiny enclave around Polk and Carpenter that boasts some actual Italians.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
When I was down there a few weeks ago to look at a 2-flat, the seller was Italian, as was their real estate agent. That's just anecdotal, and I also saw a lot of Indians, but it's not as if there are actually only 3 Italians left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago