Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Yeah. A lot of 20 years olds are moving into Logan Square and Avondale but I am sure there are still many more in Wicker Park and Bucktown.
Could very well be true, but it would be somewhat counter-intuitive with my experience. As these neighborhoods mature, they get more expensive, get more families, and get more people actually deconverting mutli-unit buildings into SFHs.

My impression from recent trips to/through Wicker Park & Bucktown is they are solidly in the thirty-something (and approaching 40-something) camp as far as residents.

There are of course still tons of younger folks still coming for the bars & music venues, but no twenty-something is supporting the boutiques and other high-end little shops that now blanket those areas.

Avondale is interesting as it's not simply getting people moving north along the blue line/Milwaukee, it's also getting people from the east from Lake View.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM

16 posts, read 60,855 times
Thank you for the advice everyone. So as an eariler poster said, it would be crazy to live in Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville because of the commute to the airport? Anyone with that kind of experience in those two neighborhoods?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM

771 posts, read 1,397,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeHusky View Post
Thank you for the advice everyone. So as an eariler poster said, it would be crazy to live in Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville because of the commute to the airport? Anyone with that kind of experience in those two neighborhoods?
Trust us don't do it! Lincoln Park and Lakeview are nice but it is going to get annoying really quick. It's just getting to and from the blue line from those two hoods will get annoying and then there is the horrible East to West traffic and vice versa you will have to deal with on top of that. In Lakeview it's really bad especally when it's baseball season....

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

32 posts, read 84,263 times
i heard a lot of good things about bucktown

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,893,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Trust us don't do it! Lincoln Park and Lakeview are nice but it is going to get annoying really quick. It's just getting to and from the blue line from those two hoods will get annoying and then there is the horrible East to West traffic and vice versa you will have to deal with on top of that. In Lakeview it's really bad especally when it's baseball season....
Yes, yes, yes.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,249,423 times
Quote:
Hi posters,

I am moving to Chicago from Seattle. I attended the University of Washington. Not a hot bed for UW grads. Most of them move to SF, NYC, or stay in Seattle.

I am looking for a fun neighborhood to live in for a 20 something year old (I have to meet people!). I will be working with a management consulting firm. Therefore, I will be traveling Mon-Thurs to the clients site, so easy access to O'Hare would be preferable, but not the priority if it conflicts with living in a fun/good neighborhood.

With my salary I can spend up to $1200/month and be happy with my budget, but then again I wouldn't be opposed to spending $800/month since I will be on the road every week!

Input from people who have spent time in both Chicago and Seattle would be great! Comparing the differences, what do you personally like more and why, etc.

I plan on moving there in April and spending a month not working to explore the area and maybe do some trips outside of chicago.

Car or no car (I was feeling no, but maybe I'm wrong)?
Is a real estate agent essential like New York?

I will be up there in December to check out the neighborhoods. Steer me in the right direction please!

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thank you in advance!
How did you get a job right after college in a far away state?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
Quote:
If you live in a Chicago for a while, it doesn't take long to realize how bad something would be, even if you've never done it all the time. Will it kill you? Likely not, but Logan Square, Wicker Park or Bucktown would all be solid options that would make you want to rip your hair out a lot less.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,578,653 times
anyone who travels out of O'hare for a living needs to be on the blue line...period. Move to Logan and deal with the hipsters.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM

I mean if you really want to live in those two neighborhoods and have a less headache inducing trip it would be to take the red line south to the loop (the red line serves those two neighborhoods) to transfer to the blue line in the Loop to head back north. Essentially you would be heading south to only back north, which is silly, but I rather do that than have to bus it to the blue line and deal with unpredicatable traffic. Either way it's going to be a hassle from Lakeview and Lincoln Park.

In all honesty, you should live along the blue line it's so much easier, just walk to the train and it's all good from there. It's not that Lakeview and Lincoln Park are hard to get to from the Blue line and vice versa. If you traveled like 5 times a year to O'Hare it wouldn't be a problem to live in those neighborhoods. The problem is you will be traveling a lot and that commute will get annoying really fast.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If you live in a Chicago for a while, it doesn't take long to realize how bad something would be, even if you've never done it all the time. Will it kill you? Likely not, but Logan Square, Wicker Park or Bucktown would all be solid options that would make you want to rip your hair out a lot less.
Right. If the OP was traveling maybe a few times a years, I would say by all means move to Lakeview and Lincoln Park. However, as said before, anyone who lives off of always going to O'hare should live right of the Blue LIne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago