Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 24,625 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

In a few months I will be moving to Chicago for my first full-time job. My job is in the UIC hospital/medical center. I could be working or going to school at the UIC medical campus for over five years. I would like something within walking distance of the campus.

Do I have any options besides Medical District Apartments?

What is a normal rent for the city, for a studio apartment? Medical District apartments is about $1100-$1200. Is that a pretty normal price for the quality and safety of a large building? Or could I save money by living elsewhere?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 05:01 PM

319 posts, read 604,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB43563 View Post
Hi everyone,

In a few months I will be moving to Chicago for my first full-time job. My job is in the UIC hospital/medical center. I could be working or going to school at the UIC medical campus for over five years. I would like something within walking distance of the campus.

Do I have any options besides Medical District Apartments?

What is a normal rent for the city, for a studio apartment? Medical District apartments is about $1100-$1200. Is that a pretty normal price for the quality and safety of a large building? Or could I save money by living elsewhere?

Thanks.
Hi RWB,

Medical District Apartments are very expensive as far as I know... You could save by living elsewhere depending on what you require for your own living happiness. There are often room-shares and 1-BR's in the area for pretty inexpensive prices. I'd check craigslist and use in your search: Illinois medical district, tri-taylor, Rush, or UIC. If you need something more fancy than that, there is at least one higher-end local apartment renter in the area. Just seen signs, never would need to deal with them since that whole super-nice-apartment thing just isn't important to me.

I'd make sure you have on-site laundry and AC, and most places do, but if they don't specify, ask those two important questions!

I live in the "Tri-Taylor" area right west of the campus. One of my room-share people is a female Ph.D. student at UIC. She walks all the time to the bus, blue-line or bikes in this area, often times at night. I see young ladies walking with their dogs that couldn't scare flies off of S$*! up until midnight in the residential areas nightly. That said; IF you are used to city life, and know how not to make yourself not a target (some basic street-smarts), the area around the medical district at night is pretty safe. About every 3 months or so we hear about an assault, usually quite late at night, but it's about that common.

The majority of crime in the area is property related, for example, don't leave an electronic device in the car that you care for. No one steals things like I-passes or anything of that nature that I've seen.

Ok, that's what I have now without any other information. Feel free to message me too if you like.

Last edited by Isotope-C14; 11-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2011, 05:28 PM

wow.. what a wonderful response! extremely helpful.

crime is not much of a concern for me, in this area. I currently live in Baltimore. It seems like you would agree.

could you please tell me what you mean by "local apartment renter?" is that an agent, or a management company, or what? Im just trying to get a feel for how these places are advertised.

Other than that, you say craigslist is the best place to look? That makes sense to me. I will certainly be posting back here or messaging you when I get closer to finding a place.

Thanks!!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:02 PM

319 posts, read 604,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB43563 View Post
wow.. what a wonderful response! extremely helpful.

crime is not much of a concern for me, in this area. I currently live in Baltimore. It seems like you would agree.

could you please tell me what you mean by "local apartment renter?" is that an agent, or a management company, or what? Im just trying to get a feel for how these places are advertised.

Other than that, you say craigslist is the best place to look? That makes sense to me. I will certainly be posting back here or messaging you when I get closer to finding a place.

Thanks!!
No Prob!

Yes, I guess local apartment renter would be a management company in this case

Craigslist will link you to many listings for open rentals, I'm sure 80% or so are through a management company, though, if you are in the city, many times apartments that are available won't be listed at all online, you will just see a "room for rent" sign in the window as you walk by, or "apartment for rent" and a phone number. There are good things about apartment management companies and bad things as well, obviously renting from a private person can have some issues as well.

I can't seem to find the luxury apartment rental company online. I'll try and make a note of it since one place up the street has their sign, or had it up until a week ago or so.

I've never lived in Baltimore, but in Chicago, renters are well protected, even armed to the teeth with rights. Check out this link:

City of Chicago :: Rents Right

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Little Italy and Tri Taylor are within walking distance and reasonably priced, but they're kind of bland neighborhoods. If you don't mind a short bus or bike ride to work, you could also live in Pilsen, West Loop, or somewhere on the northwest side near Ashland or Damen (north-south buses run along these). I would avoid a large apartment complex, those are for nubs.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 PM

lol... yes they are for nubs. Im glad i came here for advice.

I will be in the neighborhood this december. perhaps my best bet is to walk around and write down the locations and contact info of every "for rent" sign i see?

isotope, please dont go out of your way to get that info, but ive subscribed to this thread if you do. so if you post it here any time, i wont miss it.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,082 times
Default Come to Chicago to look

So based upon your post, I would guess you are doing a surgery residency in the medical district. The apartments you mentioned in the medical district are pricy for the area. If you are able to, I would suggest taking a long weekend before you start your new job and come to Chicago to look for an apartment. My boyfriend and I have both moved to Chicago within the last 6 months (He is also a resident), and we looked incessantly online. It took us finally hitting the streets to look at apartments for us to be successful. There are many apartment vacancies if you walk around-They have for rent signs in the windows. Commuting (esp. if you are doing a residency with crazy hours) is a hassle. I recommend coming and looking for an apartment in the Little Italy/UIC/Tri-Taylor area that is close to the hospital you are working at and also close to the blue line (EL). Best of luck!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Whats a nub

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Ease of commute wins out...

As lulu214 states there are a TON of smaller landlords within walking distance of the Med Center that do not bother doing anything beyond the "sign in a window" form of advertisting. It makes much sense for them as they don't need to deal with people from halfway around the world trying to scam them when they have nice apartments up the street from nightspots / educational hubs / employment centers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu214 View Post
So based upon your post, I would guess you are doing a surgery residency in the medical district. The apartments you mentioned in the medical district are pricy for the area. If you are able to, I would suggest taking a long weekend before you start your new job and come to Chicago to look for an apartment. My boyfriend and I have both moved to Chicago within the last 6 months (He is also a resident), and we looked incessantly online. It took us finally hitting the streets to look at apartments for us to be successful. There are many apartment vacancies if you walk around-They have for rent signs in the windows. Commuting (esp. if you are doing a residency with crazy hours) is a hassle. I recommend coming and looking for an apartment in the Little Italy/UIC/Tri-Taylor area that is close to the hospital you are working at and also close to the blue line (EL). Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago