Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM

91 posts, read 214,875 times

Advertisements

My son is moving to Chicago next May/June after college for his first real job. Having lived in Ca most of his life and going to school in the south, he is up for a rude awakening when the winter comes. I would like to at least help him to get some winter clothes now or at the end of the winter season as there might be more bargains, but I have no idea how the young males dress for winter in Chicago. For example, do they wear long coat, snow boots? If you could post some links or pictures, that will be extremely helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
If he will be wearing suits to work, you might consider getting him two winter overcoats. One should be a rain coat type with a heavy removable lining that can be zipped out in spring. The other simply a heavy duty winter overcoat (not necessarily rainproof).

A lot of guys don't wear boots in the city. We don't really get all the much snow. Sidewalks are cleaned pretty well in most areas. Sometimes at an intersection it can go up over your shoes when slushy. Some guys wear short hiking boots to work and then switch to dressier shoes in bad weather.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:45 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
A male needs a down coat here plus an overcoat for the more dressy occasions. The down coat should have a hood and is for temperatures below the twenties. Gloves can be helpful but many do not use them.

For business, wear hiking boots through the slush and snow and carry leather shoes in a shoulder bag for a quick change at work. Sunglasses for the glare help, too.

The urban and urbane males should try to avoid rubber overshoes or long woolen mufflers.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,002,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisah168 View Post
My son is moving to Chicago next May/June after college for his first real job. Having lived in Ca most of his life and going to school in the south, he is up for a rude awakening when the winter comes. I would like to at least help him to get some winter clothes now or at the end of the winter season as there might be more bargains, but I have no idea how the young males dress for winter in Chicago. For example, do they wear long coat, snow boots? If you could post some links or pictures, that will be extremely helpful.
I'd hold off buying winter gear now. He won't need it till like the last weeks of December. I would get a light windbreaker. It will be more useful for May, or June(if it rains) and will be useful again by about October. Get winter gear in October/November if you want the best selection. After New years you can get winter gear more cheaply but the selection might be a problem.

Anyway here you kind of need a range. Light jacket(Apr-May maybe for rain afterwards, October). Heavy Jacket(November, most of December, middle/end of March-Apr). Winter Coat(December, Jan, Feb, sometimes early march).

Last edited by chirack; 12-18-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 12:41 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,002,413 times
Anyway here is what he needs in terms of winter

Two coats.

One formal (possibly for work if he needs to wear a suit—otherwise possibly not needed or can be delayed till a formal occasion). One where you can take the lining out is great for days when it isn’t quite freezing but you still need something.

One standard issuse, Chicago black(or your fav. color) puffy down coat with hood. The coat should extend down to his thighs at least (i.e. It needs to cover the rear end).

With the formal coat he needs either a hat that covers the ears or earmuffs plus a scarf.

With the down coat he needs a ski hat that covers the ears or ear muffs. Ski hats are handy because you can put them in your pocket when they are not needed but still add a layer when they are. A scarf with the down coat may or may not be needed(it can boarder on too much esp. if you are only out for a very short period of time).

With both he needs gloves. Boots are only needed if he will be doing a lot of walking outdoors. Sturdy shoes (esp. hiking boots will do). People usually change into dress shoes at work.

How much he needs to put on depends on how long he plans to be outdoors. If using public transit more if not less.

Last edited by chirack; 12-18-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,391 times
I have a long wool peacoat, scarves, 180 earmuffs and I don't wear boots, I have galoshes for my dress shoes. I don't really both with gloves because 1) I lose them a lot and 2) pockets work just fine unless you're doing shoveling etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I have a long wool peacoat, scarves, 180 earmuffs and I don't wear boots, I have galoshes for my dress shoes. I don't really both with gloves because 1) I lose them a lot and 2) pockets work just fine unless you're doing shoveling etc.
Galoshes aren't as common as they used to be, but they are perfect for most weather events in Chicago winters if he lives in the more popular parts of the city. Most sidewalks are shoveled well enough to avoid show over ankle-deep.

Part of it depends on how much time he likes to spend outdoors vs. being strictly short trips outside between buildings.

He should probably have several pairs of gloves. Most people do end up losing some. I never lose anything, except I do lose gloves. Which is part of the reason I don't personally use gloves, but anyone who goes that route who is can be planning on long stretches outside and needs to make sure any coat they have has pocks they can put their hands in. I'd advise starting with several inexpensive pairs of gloves. He he finds he loses them, losing cheap ones isn't a big deal. If he likes having them and doesn't lose them, then he can decide to spend on more expensive ones.

Scarves are also important. Some nice cashmere or fine wool ones in a masculine design would be best. Since they're worn right against the skin, they're not an area to cheap out with. Real, fine wool (i.e. merino), or even cashmere really is worth the extra money when it comes to scarves worn for professional dress. And, for the record, cashmere really is a functional alternative to wool. It holds in heat very well, and is generally lighter than wool. So while it is a luxury item, there is also an honest functional basis for it in cold climates.

For ears, modern earmuffs like those sold under the 180 label are best. They connect behind the head instead of over the top, so they not only look better but are much less likely to mess up your hair.

Some people wear long underwear, but I don't. It generally leaves you too warm indoors and as long as you have a long coat and wear long socks, you're fine for most outside purposes. Over-the-calf socks really do help keep your feet warmer in the winter, too, so a few pair of those for the winter, even if he normally wears shorter ones, would be useful.

Finally, I don't wear boots, but even if he uses galoshes with his business shoes, he'll want to make sure he gets rubber soles for anything he wears in the winter. The salt on the sidewalks can maek short work of eating up leather soles even if there isn't snow.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
FLEXIBILITY!!!!

Today the high is forecast is for 52 degrees, about 10 degrees warmer than the historic averages and a full 30 degrees warmer than the average minimum temperature. In terms having a closet full of clothes you pretty much need to think in terms "how can I dress so that these clothes will work in wide range of conditions".

For that reason the semi-athletic type outwear popularized by Columbia, LL Bean, Lands End , Patagonia and The North Face is good value -- you can zip out the polar fleece for times it is warmer and batten down all the velcro for times when temps drop. Younger people tend not to like scarves or gloves or even hats as they lose them at nightspots...

Depending on how tall one is, how vain they are, and the degree to which they don't mind wind whipping around their nether regions one may prefer the look / feel of a "3-in-1" jacket over a thigh length (or even longer) "commuter parka". You might blanche at spending $600+ on a name brand jacket / coat but if it is a daily wear item for 4 months you don't want to skimp (though if you are not label conscious the same materials / quality can be had for less than half the price...).

Some folks swear by flannel lined chinos and other traditional LL Bean slacks, while others just get a heavier pair of trousers -- again vanity and tolerance of wind are big factors.

Shoes that stand up to salt are a must. Chicago LOVES salting the streets like pretzels...

Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
Picture of Greenland - Traditional clothes

ok, I'm kidding.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, this would be much more appropriate:

One of the leading quality furriers specializing in Buffalo coats, Mink coats, Fox coats, Beaver jackets, home decor items
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: