Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,378 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Ukranian village?
my husband and I area young professionals with a 10 mo old baby and another on the way. We are looking at a house about a block east of western and 2 blocks south of division? Is this a safe area to walk around? Are there young families in Ukranian Village and are there parks? Finally, what is it like from a public transportation standpoint...I work downtown.
Thanks for your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyz View Post
my husband and I area young professionals with a 10 mo old baby and another on the way. We are looking at a house about a block east of western and 2 blocks south of division? Is this a safe area to walk around? Are there young families in Ukranian Village and are there parks? Finally, what is it like from a public transportation standpoint...I work downtown.
Thanks for your replies
That is really more Humboldt Park than Ukrainian Village. Neighborhood is borderline, the general preference is to stay east of Damen.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Actually, the old adage is to stay east of Western, I've never heard anything about staying east of Damen.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:24 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
I think of Oakley (2300W) as the heart of Ukranian Village; after all, it's where most of the big Ukrainian churches are. Indeed, the vintage housing in Ukie Village between Damen and Western is far nicer than in East Village (east of Damen). It's quiet and leafy, but amenities are coming in -- Damenn and Chicago now has several bakeries and coffeeshops and will get a new supermarket soon.

I know a few families who live over by Smith Park, a little enclave west of Western and south of Chicago, but there aren't many parks east of Western.

Transit: most folks there take the #66 east to either the blue or red lines (or all the way in for those working in River North or N Michigan). I remember that I'd sometimes have to let blue line trains pass at rush hour because they were too crowded, and the crosstown buses aren't all that reliable. On the upside, the #66 has pretty good headways.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 PM

96 posts, read 647,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyz View Post
Thanks for your replies
the area is fine, it's true that it's not in the middle of Ukrainian Village but it will do just fine. I live close by and I sometimes drive through that area and I kinda like it. But if you really wanna get the best of that area, then try Wicker Park, it's less than 2 miles away and it's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago