Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Proof? All the analysis and comments from the IOC I've seen in the New York Times and WSJ had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with 1) putting the Olympics into a new country, the inevitable, and 2) a vote against the USOC which is totally instable at the moment and just recently thumbed their noses at the IOC with their Olympic TV network. But yeah it had nothing to do with strategic voting to get a new country in or the United States Olympic Committees literal insolvency, instead it was just Bush's fault.
I know they wanted a new country/continent. Everywhere I looked there was the talk of the anti-American sentiment. Here's one: Chicago torpedoed by anti-U.S. sentiment? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago 2016 (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1804170,CST-NWS-olyresent03.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Totally ridiculous. Yeah blame Bush. LOL. It would have been more likely an F you to Obama, who actually is President now unlike Bush who is just a subtext in history now and who no one thinks about anymore. Obama is the one who is fighting a losing war now and who has boosted our military spending 6% just this year. Otherwise I like Obama, but he needs to get a clue--every time he said "America" and not "United States" during his address to the very international committee I shuddered.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
"...Why are residents of Rio happy this money is going to games..."
"...cleaning up the ghettos of Rio..."
Why not? Do you know what means an olimpic games for a city and the country??
I cannot understand why our north's neighbour have so preconception and discrimination about us from south?? I believe many people that say and write a lot of bad things about us, don't know us really. They know us by hear "someone to tell something". Today the the world lives a globalism. The opportunity are for all.
Now is our time: 2014 Soccer World Cup - 2016 Olimpic Games. The FIFA and IOC are not stupids, they know what are doing.
I hope 2020 be in Africa.
congratulations, brazilian. sorry we lost, but happy for you that you won. The games mean a lot to your city, nation, and whole continent.

When the US competition between LA and Chicago ended with Chicago getting the nod, there was one word that I use that would express the attitude on the vast part of Angelenos who responded to the event:

gracious.

I have no question that the majority of us here in Chicago and Chicagoland extend the same good wishes to you that LA extended to us. You won, and happily for us, we were not the least bit diminished in the process...just like you wouldn't have been if the situation were reversed.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 PM

116 posts, read 245,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I know they wanted a new country/continent. Everywhere I looked there was the talk of the anti-American sentiment. Here's one: Chicago torpedoed by anti-U.S. sentiment? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago 2016 (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1804170,CST-NWS-olyresent03.article - broken link)
...according to "Chicago officials" who we know now were obviously pretty clueluess about everything. I'm surprised people in here are coming up with this as some simplistic rationalization for what happened. "They just hate us" is not a sufficient answer.

Listen, you are sitting on the IOC and you are about to vote:

1) Chicago's bid was dull, IOC members have been saying this the entire time. Very corporate and stiff and without any emotion. I tend to agree. There was absolutely no passion in the bid. You could practically cry watching the Madrid and Rio's presentations alternatively.

2) Finances were never in order until the very last minute while every other bid was backed the entire time within the technical document. A last minute deal while every other country had 100% financial backing from the government looked SERIOUSLY bad. Read the technical evaluation. How the hell can you win without having your finances in order the whole time. Relying on private donations during a recession?

3) Chicagoans didn't even want these games! Sure, many did, but do you doubt even for a second that Rio and the other cities weren't showing IOC members the latest Tribune poll, with only 47% of public actually wanting the Olympics, every chance they got?

4) ...and lastly but probably most importantly, quite frankly the USOC is in complete shambles and has no relationship with the IOC. Why would you want to award anything and partner with someone who doesn't want to partner with you.

Anyways, newer article, same paper, but with actual commentary from IOC members:

2nd-guessing: Was it finances? Politics? Dull pitch? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago 2016 (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1805636,CST-NWS-oly04s1.stng - broken link)

Last edited by yoyobubba; 10-04-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I've often wondered why Chicago does not have another World's Fair? I suppose with the Internet being the largest gossip source in the world, it would be nearly impossible to present fresh ideas, foods, technologies, or architectural designs as it did in the previous fairs. At the least I would think it should be cheaper to host for two weeks than the Olympics. Maybe not.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
To the anti Daley folks, seriously, do you not remember the city before Daley became Mayor? Think back. Don't have such short lived memories and for God's sake stop pretending there are honest good willed politicians out there who would do a better job. The Daley machine has made Chicago what it is today. I own a two flat in Bucktown. An area that pre-Daley was completely unsafe and now is all families and crazy expensive. You may not like his methods but he has done the job he has been elected to do.
Yes, and there are plenty of other Chicago neighborhoods that were completely unsafe pre-Daley and that today are still completely unsafe. So what's your point?

Did Daley specifically cause the Bucktown rejuvenation, or was it that his presiding over the city just luckily coincided with (1) a renewed interest in urban living across the US, sparking an urban renaissance and gentrification in cities from Boston to San Francisco; and (2) the longest peacetime economic expansion in US history (the Clinton years)?

Heh. Let's see how well Daley manages the city during a prolonged economic downturn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd771 View Post
Chicago has a history of crooked politics. Do some research.
So that makes it all right?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
That Chicago came in Last shows the world is still upset about the Iraq War. But the US just had Olympics in Atlanta and Salt Lake City. Spain had Barcelona, the Japanese already had a Tokyo Olympics in the 60's(this time should be Osaka's chance) I think it was fair to let the city of the River of January and the nation of Brasil to have their turn. I only hope the cops there take their gloves off and crack down Myanmar style on all the scumbag slumdog criminals.
Yep, all the countries of the world get upset with the US when we exert a little bit of military force (other than when it's their turn to need military help, then they're happy to ask for it)

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
boo hoo, I've got a kitten typing for me here

there I fixed it for you so you're poor widdle head wouldn't explode (yes, I purposely misspelled "little")
Don't get mad when someone corrects you.

Please, go back to grade school to take more spelling classes & also detention!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
I forgot to mention that the Wall Street Journal DID make it plain that Chicago was lucky NOT to get the Olympic bid. Sounded like they felt Chicago really dodged an expensive and usually wasted bullet.
If Chicago did not have their financials in order, WHY in the world did they even waste the millions they did waste on bidding? Am I missing something here, but it sounds like the powers that be were just sloppy, disorganized and their hearts weren't really in it. Am I wrong?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've often wondered why Chicago does not have another World's Fair? I suppose with the Internet being the largest gossip source in the world, it would be nearly impossible to present fresh ideas, foods, technologies, or architectural designs as it did in the previous fairs. At the least I would think it should be cheaper to host for two weeks than the Olympics. Maybe not.
the era is over. and i don't believe that an organization even exists that issues these anymore. I think the world has so much global travel that this becomes unnecessary. Also, can you imagine the security risk today of having one.

I would venture to say that Epcot, to a degree, also eliminates a need for temporary world fairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago